#GTvsDUKE Postgame

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Is this the definition of winning ugly? As Tech fans we have to be happy to bring home a win today.

Tech has improved both in total offense and total defense in the ACC over last year, so I see that as a positive. Techs kicking game is improved over last year.

The next game versus Virginia can be pivotal for the rest of the season. Win and this can be a successful season.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was thinking after our next to last possession when JS missed the wide open TE by throwing off of his back foot that I was ready to turn the reigns over to JY. I am hopeful that that last drive helps Sims to really turn the corner.

When our Irish kid hit the 22 yard punt I was tearing my hair out and lamenting the loss of Percy Harvin. Then that kid hits a 70+ yarder and a 50+ yarder back to back and I am singing his praises from the rooftop of my home.

Is there anything crazier or wosres for one's health than watching 18-20 year old boys play football?
Agree and have never figured out in two years why they have not taught Sims proper footwork when passing. He stands flat footed.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm impressed with anyone who travels to Wallace Wade
Honestly after making the journey to WW for the game from ATL, I can say it was definitely a cool trip to the Horseshoe stadium! The Tech win was a big plus. Although I will say being able to hear the entire bench from 10 rows up in the stands tells you everything you need to know about student buy in to Football. They’re a basketball school and their Gameday attendance showed it. Wouldn’t be surprised if more GT fans showed than students.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes tongue in cheek and a friendly call out.

But I'll play.

Was that Cut's defense during our first two possessions? How about the last one where they let the same WR get behind them to lose the game?

Was that Cut's special teams unit? The one with the FG kicker, butterfinger punt returner and cover team that let Rey get loose?

I'm being serious and cute at the same time. I hated some of what we saw on the LOS. Also wasn't a fan of several offensive play calls. But it's almost like folks think we're playing playground ball and getting by in a road win. That didn't happen. We executed better in a variety of ways that folks have yet to acknowledge as evidence of coaching.
IMO, Patenaude came in with a good game plan and scored twice early. Duke adjusted and he didn’t. Last drive was great but that was Sanders making plays.

My hypothesis is that Patenaude comes into all games with a plan but unable to adjust mid game.

Bennett

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO, Patenaude came in with a good game plan and scored twice early. Duke adjusted and he didn’t. Last drive was great but that was Sanders making plays.

My hypothesis is that Patenaude comes into all games with a plan but unable to adjust mid game.
Don’t disagree at all

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

That may be part of it. Another part is that in order to make adjustments, the players have to be ready to execute the adjustments. I remember CPJ fuming after a vpisu game one year because Foster’s defense was timing the snap, so of course CPJ altered the snap cadence, but it backfired on us because a certain right tackle kept false starting due to confusion about the new cadence. For whatever reason, our run blocking was terrible today, so that really limits what we can do. I saw us run an inverted veer play once and then never touch it again. I think that would have been a very creative way to put more stress on their defense, but we have to block well enough to run it. Given our turnover margin today, I’d rather not have Sims pass on every play, as his Tom Brady impression still needs some work.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Just a brief word tonight.

First, congratulations to the team on another win, however improbable.

Second, we have now done something under Collins that we hadn't done before: we won a game where we played poorly and didn't deserve a win. But … you need to win a game like that occasionally in order to have some kind of faith in your luck. This win will stand us in good stead in some of our upcoming games. Who knows? We might do it again.

More anon.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Just a brief word tonight.

First, congratulations to the team on another win, however improbable.

Second, we have now done something under Collins that we hadn't done before: we won a game where we played poorly and didn't deserve a win. But … you need to win a game like that occasionally in order to have some kind of faith in your luck. This win will stand us in good stead in some of our upcoming games. Who knows? We might do it again.

More anon.
I keep reading this, that we didn’t deserve to win, calling b.s. on that- our guys ripped that win away from duke, they overcame adversity and made they plays when it mattered. I hope our young team grew up a little today, winning like that should be a big confidence boost

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I keep reading this, that we didn’t deserve to win, calling b.s. on that- our guys ripped that win away from duke, they overcame adversity and made they plays when it mattered. I hope our young team grew up a little today, winning like that should be a big confidence boost
Amen! Folks were yelling last week we suck because we quit. Today the same folks are yelling we suck and got lucky that OUR guys didn't quit.

See my post above for better clarity.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I need to see a replay to analyze it, but here’s what I’ve pieced together from looking up the rules:

If the returner called a fair catch before muffing it, it’s a fumble by the receiving team. Possession was established via fair catch followed by contact with the ball. In that case, the result of the play in would be a safety if it’s recovered in the end zone by the receiving team after the muffed fair catch.

If there was no fair catch signaled, then possession has not been established by the muff, and it’s simply treated as a kick that can be recovered by either team but not advanced. So if it crosses the receiving goal line after the muff (and neither team has established possession), it’s treated like a punt that happened to bounce really strangely. And that’s why it’s a touchback.

From the rulebook:

Muff ARTICLE 2. To muff the ball is to touch the ball in an unsuccessful attempt to catch or recover it. Muffing the ball does not change its status.

Muffing doesn't change the status. It's still a live ball that traveled into the end zone on it's own. Touchback.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Duke came back... so the start didn't matter?
Their RB got 152 yds... on 42 carries... 3.5 yds/carry.
4 of 13 on 3rd down, not ideal
2 turnovers, not ideal. I wondered why our coaches called the turnover play too.

And you should be happiest of all because we passed the 28 point mark that you declared important ;)

Look, I'm not saying it was beautiful and I have problems with a lot of things. Let's enjoy the W and recognize that Collins now owns Cutcliffe.
Can't agree with this one enough!

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
We upset UGA 34-28. IM CALLIN IT
UGA’s defensive lineman will be in our backfield nearly fast enough to intercept the shotgun snap. I don’t think we have a prayer against them this year. Remember, building this program to the level at which it can beat the #1 team in the country, if possible, is not a fast process.

Think about how long it took Dabo to build Clemson to where it is (this season’s record excluded), and he started with much more overall talent to match his system.

Best case scenario, in my opinion, we beat a #1 team by 2025. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. But it starts with road wins against a well-coached conference opponent like what happened today.

We can still get there, but expectations need to be realistic. That said, what’s the good word?!? How bout them dawgs?!?