#GTvsCLEM Postgame

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Super proud of the team, for the first time in years I felt like I was actually watching GT football. Couple of thoughts off the top of my head.

1. That holding call on the last drive of the 1st half was costly, and maybe phantom (was watching with a spotty connection).

2. We scored more offensive points on CU than anyone else has this year (including the mutts)

3. I wanted Gibbs to run it back on the free kick.

4. I feel hope about this staff and their plan for the first time.

5. That 2nd td drive by CU was purely depth based. They ran over subs and it still took them a bit.
Go Jackets! Find a way to beat UNC next week and lets start making these comparisons to 1989 a reality.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Yates is the answer bottomline... If he started that 1st game we win and I've watched the kid since High School he's a winner, quick reader and solid fundamental passer.... people who hark about arm strength If you put your passes on the right spot on time you don't have to have the strongest arm says Dree Brees and Russel Wilson
Clemson is not falling off, they don't have a quarterback. They are loaded down with four and five star talent but it goes to waste with a quarterback like DJ. He hasn't go it now and I kind of doubt he will have it in the future.
maybe not but he was rated as the best by some, coming out of high school. He has arm talent but he was less composed than Yates.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Once the game moved off ABC, I was forced to listen to it on the radio, which here in SC meant I had to listen to a Clemson broadcast. (Side note, the GT Gameday App live audio feed was a Braves game, we need to fix that) The Clemson broadcasters were very complementary of the way we were playing the game. I'll write up some more later but this is the game we've been needing.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
What a relief. Great to watch a team effort. Such a difference from the game last year.

Thomas is a baller and Yates is a gamer.

This is something I have looked for. An improved performance by the players. Even an on side kick recovery.

An impressive difference to me is that Tech was strong in the fourth quarter.

Still time management issues. Especially getting the plays in late in the game.

I believe Tech scores a TD in the first half in not for the lighting delay.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Agreed, he plays like a veteran qb most the time, not a new guy or a backup. He puts in the extra effort to make a play, but makes smart decisions and doesn't gamble with the ball trying to make something happen.
I tried to tell ya'll that Yates may not be the most physically gifted quarterback but he is unflappable and knows what to do with that football. He makes quick decisions and can run just enough to keep defenses honest and the boys rally around him. He is sort of like Joe Ham when asked about being short. "I may not be six two but I play like it".

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I knew we had the talent on the field to compete with Clem. Our guys stepped up and played hard against a top team in their house. with all kinds of adverse conditions thrown in. Yet they still fought to the end. That onside kick was perfectly executed.

Play calling and clock management is still horrible. Nothing I saw changed my mind on that.

slugboy

Staff member
The QBR formula I used was the generic NCAA formula. ESPN uses a formula weighted by the strength of the defense and the expected points. Right now, Yates is 6th, and Clemson isn’t factored in. Since we only scored 6, he might even be down after this week.
There were a couple of times were we could have used Sims’ arm to get a good heave in there, but Yates is a “field general” or a “game manager” or a “gym rat” and a “coach on the field” (insert subjective stuff in here). He is making the players around him look good.

190AA563-684B-4D89-903B-CDEF7C402B0E.jpeg

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I tried to tell ya'll that Yates may not be the most physically gifted quarterback but he is unflappable and knows what to do with that football. He makes quick decisions and can run just enough to keep defenses honest and the boys rally around him. He is sort of like Joe Ham when asked about being short. "I may not be six two but I play like it".
He makes great decisions, and he made some good throws. That may be the best defense in the country. Any other ACC team he's going to do very well against. Looking forward to UNC.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Hats off to the defense. Clemson is obviously struggling offensively but that was better than I think anyone expected. The offense wasn’t great but Yates played decent overall against maybe the best defense in college football. It’s hard to believe but from what I’ve seen this year, Yates is better than DJ. They need to make a change at QB. We have found our guy. Overall, I still don’t like losing so I’m not taking any moral victories away. Hopefully this is something we can build on though.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
These guys proved that we can stay with any ACC team left on our schedule, and have the potential to earn a rematch with the Tigers.
A lot of winning football is about confidence. This is the kind of game that our guys can look back on and build on it. Hell, if we can go toe to toe with Clemson in Death Valley, we should be able to be competitive or win against UNC, Pitt, Duke, Boston College, and even Notre Dame and Miami. Next week though is an altogether different sort of challenge with UNC.