#GTvsCLEM Postgame

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I understand your point, but derogatory nicknames are not typos or autocorrect. I do not think the mods should have to repeatedly insist that the team and coaches, plus other members of the GTSwarm forum, be treated with respect. Name calling and profanity when referring to others is not acceptable in face to face conversations and cannot be acceptable here either.
Sorry. You guys were trying to deal with a serious matter and I was trying to be funny.

But do feel like my autocorrect has developed a mind of its own lately. 😊

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think the assessment of Tevin is a little unfair. We scored a ton of points in 2011 and 2012…in fact they were some of CPJ’s most efficient offenses. The biggest problem those years was that our defense was about as useful as a wet paper bag. We got torched all of the place during those two seasons and it made it difficult to win consistently even when we were able to score. The points we gave up given the limited possessions are pretty incredible.
Maybe I am reading my post with rose tinted glasses, but I do not think I made any negative comment about Tevin. I said Nesbit is one of my all time GT favorites and that Tevin is "not so much" a favorite. And, if you remember, in 2012 we were looking forward to having a QB (Vad Lee) who could take our offense to another level. Remember, our highest scoring game in 2012 was the UNC game where Vad put on a show. Tevin was the starter for two years for a good reason. He was our best QB and we scored a lot of points. If Tevin was one of your favorites and my comment offended, I apologize.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I understand your point, but derogatory nicknames are not typos or autocorrect. I do not think the mods should have to repeatedly insist that the team and coaches, plus other members of the GTSwarm forum, be treated with respect. Name calling and profanity when referring to others is not acceptable in face to face conversations and cannot be acceptable here either.
I trust we still name call and say derogatory things about the coaches of that suburban school east of Atlanta
Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
IMO the Clemson coaches had never expected to be in that situation against GT and the thought process to decide what they would do was just not fleshed out. When you are 28 point favorites against a team you scored 73 points against in 2020, fighting for your life at the gun is not a high planning priority.

The problem with this is that it should have been thought through for other teams. A lot of coaching is situational regardless of who the opponent is. Even the Clemson announcers were saying Dabo would most likely call for a clock eating safety before the delay of game penalty. I really for the life of me can't fathom the decision making in this sequence by Clemson.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
The problem with this is that it should have been thought through for other teams. A lot of coaching is situational regardless of who the opponent is. Even the Clemson announcers were saying Dabo would most likely call for a clock eating safety before the delay of game penalty. I really for the life of me can't fathom the decision making in this sequence by Clemson.

I think they were in a bit of situational shock. A lot went on in the final couple of minutes of that game. Something that I am very proud of our team about. We took being denied at the goal for three plays and made it really, really close. I think the CU coaching staff lost situational awareness for a bit.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think they were in a bit of situational shock. A lot went on in the final couple of minutes of that game. Something that I am very proud of our team about. We took being denied at the goal for three plays and made it really, really close. I think the CU coaching staff lost situational awareness for a bit.

Agreed. You punch someone enough and they'll start to get flustered and nervous. We did a good job at putting the pressure on the Clemson coaching staff.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
God that Clemson game gave me so much hope for the season. I was worried after the NIU game (if we started Yates we win that game).

We looked like a top 25 team playing Clemson in my honest opinion. Our defense looked absolutely amazing, the only thing that bothered me all game (and this was something the people I watched the game with commented on as well) is Patenaude's playcalling.

It felt like GT was playing scared and playing to not get blown out rather than win, ESPECIALLY in the red zone. Props to all the players though they did great and kept us in the game and made plays, Clemson's defense was just that good, but I don't think Patenaude's playcalling helped, in fact I think it's what lost us the game.

Other than the BS weather delay, we had all momentum and probably score a TD there but oh well you can't control that.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
God that Clemson game gave me so much hope for the season. I was worried after the NIU game (if we started Yates we win that game).

We looked like a top 25 team playing Clemson in my honest opinion. Our defense looked absolutely amazing, the only thing that bothered me all game (and this was something the people I watched the game with commented on as well) is Patenaude's playcalling.

It felt like GT was playing scared and playing to not get blown out rather than win, ESPECIALLY in the red zone. Props to all the players though they did great and kept us in the game and made plays, Clemson's defense was just that good, but I don't think Patenaude's playcalling helped, in fact I think it's what lost us the game.

Other than the BS weather delay, we had all momentum and probably score a TD there but oh well you can't control that.
How do you define conservative(scared) play calling in the red zone? I would love to see some of the examples.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Ok, that's strong. Reel strong.
Never was an athlete…

…couldn’t kick a PK…
…couldn’t throw a pitch…
…couldn’t shoot a free throw…
…couldn’t throw a pass…

…but I can throw some shade—particularly at the Clark County Correctional (C)ollege.
;)

[edit] I’m not bragging. I know it’s not hard or anything…

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Josh Nesbitt is in my top five all time favorite GT players. I loved his talent and, especially, his desire to win. Tevin not so much. He was a good guy and in the 2012 season took us (with a 6-6 record) to the ACCCG against FSU. But 2012 was not a great year for us and the biggest deal was the anticipation of Vad Lee becoming our starting QB. Justin Thomas may have been the best athlete (other than #21) to ever wear white & gold.

All that said, the offense we ran in those years required a much different skill set than the spread offenses of 2021 and none of them would be my choice today.

Tevin Washington was our primary starting QB for 2 seasons:

2012 (6-7)
Offensive FEI - #15
Defensive FEI - #67

2011 (8-5)
Offensive FEI - #13
Defensive FEI - #76

I've said it multiple times over the years, if Tevin had a half decent defense to go along with those offenses during his years, we would all remember Tevin differently. Those offensive efficiency numbers under Tevin are dang close to being elite, and the lone year he didn't have to share snaps with Vad Lee, our offense was even better. Tevin, IMO, is one of the most underappreciated athletes to have played for GT because while he led offenses that were close to elite by statistical measures, the defenses he had were pretty bad. GT should have won 9-11 games each of those seasons he started.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

2012 (6-7)
Offensive FEI - #15
Defensive FEI - #67

2011 (8-5)
Offensive FEI - #13
Defensive FEI - #76

I've said it multiple times over the years, if Tevin had a half decent defense to go along with those offenses during his years, we would all remember Tevin differently. Those offensive efficiency numbers under Tevin are dang close to being elite, and the lone year he didn't have to share snaps with Vad Lee, our offense was even better. Tevin, IMO, is one of the most underappreciated athletes to have played for GT because while he led offenses that were close to elite by statistical measures, the defenses he had were pretty bad. GT should have won 9-11 games each of those seasons he started.
Yep. I can't believe the things that get thrown Tevin's way. Dude was a complete baller and ran the offense amazingly well. He was pretty average in 2011, but ended his career pretty well.

2011 QBR Eighth in ACC (and really pretty close from 5th to 8th)
1632265857147.png

2012 QBR Third in ACC
1632265820303.png

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yep. I can't believe the things that get thrown Tevin's way. Dude was a complete baller and ran the offense amazingly well. He was pretty average in 2011, but ended his career pretty well.

2011 QBR Eighth in ACC (and really pretty close from 5th to 8th)
View attachment 11245
2012 QBR Third in ACC
View attachment 11244

The thing about Tevin was: Who did he really have on offense? Stephen Hill, but we all know how boom or bust he was. In 2011, Tevin was our leading rusher and passer. The 2nd leading rusher was David Sims. In 2012, the leading rusher was Zach Laskey...with 13 more yards than Tevin Washington. Our leading receiver in 2012 was an AB (Orwin Smith).

Justin Thomas had 2 future NFL WRs in Deandre Smelter and Darren Waller. He also had an upperclassman Zach Laskey that was on the LA Ram's roster for 2 seasons.

Josh Nestbitt had Demaryius Thomas and Jonathan Dwyer in 2008 and 2009. He also had Anthony Allen who played in the NFL for multiple seasons.

No offense to the other guys on the roster in 2011 and 2012, but the fact that Tevin was able to do what he did in 2011-2012 with that offensive roster is pretty amazing. It also speaks to CPJ's offensive genius.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member

2012 (6-7)
Offensive FEI - #15
Defensive FEI - #67

2011 (8-5)
Offensive FEI - #13
Defensive FEI - #76

I’d call 15 and 13 elite. I think he’d have been even better if he had a better defense, and we’d have opened up the offense more. He distributed the ball all over the offense—lots of people got yards and we got away from having “that one receiver”.

The thing about Tevin was: Who did he really have on offense? Stephen Hill, but we all know how boom or bust he was. In 2011, Tevin was our leading rusher and passer. The 2nd leading rusher was David Sims. In 2012, the leading rusher was Zach Laskey...with 13 more yards than Tevin Washington. Our leading receiver in 2012 was an AB (Orwin Smith).

Justin Thomas had 2 future NFL WRs in Deandre Smelter and Darren Waller. He also had an upperclassman Zach Laskey that was on the LA Ram's roster for 2 seasons.

Josh Nestbitt had Demaryius Thomas and Jonathan Dwyer in 2008 and 2009. He also had Anthony Allen who played in the NFL for multiple seasons.

No offense to the other guys on the roster in 2011 and 2012, but the fact that Tevin was able to do what he did in 2011-2012 with that offensive roster is pretty amazing. It also speaks to CPJ's offensive genius.
You made me look. As rushers, he had:
  • David Sims
  • Roddy Jones (c’mon, he was awesome)
  • Preston Lyons
  • Syjyn Days
  • Embry Peeples
  • Orwin Smith
  • Charles Perkins
  • Tony Zenon
He just spread the love around. He did for receivers too—and he did that better than the other flexbone QBs:
  • Stephen Hill
  • Orwin Smith
  • Tyler Melton
  • Embree Peeples (notice all the A-backs catching passes?)
  • Roddy Jones
  • Tony Zenon
  • Charles Perkins
  • David Sims
  • Preston Lyons
All caught multiple passes from him, and three caught double digit passes from him. Peeples, Hill, and Smith averaged more than 20 yards per catch (Hill averaged nearly 30). Tevin threw for 1652 yards , averaging 10 yards per attempt. A lot of people like Nesbitt the best, or Justin Thomas, but I think Washington made the Flexbone look like it should look. If he’d had a Gibbs, holy cow would that offense have blown doors off of people.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I’d call 15 and 13 elite. I think he’d have been even better if he had a better defense, and we’d have opened up the offense more. He distributed the ball all over the offense—lots of people got yards and we got away from having “that one receiver”.

You made me look. As rushers, he had:
  • David Sims
  • Roddy Jones (c’mon, he was awesome)
  • Preston Lyons
  • Syjyn Days
  • Embry Peeples
  • Orwin Smith
  • Charles Perkins
  • Tony Zenon
He just spread the love around. He did for receivers too—and he did that better than the other flexbone QBs:
  • Stephen Hill
  • Orwin Smith
  • Tyler Melton
  • Embree Peeples (notice all the A-backs catching passes?)
  • Roddy Jones
  • Tony Zenon
  • Charles Perkins
  • David Sims
  • Preston Lyons
All caught multiple passes from him, and three caught double digit passes from him. Peeples, Hill, and Smith averaged more than 20 yards per catch (Hill averaged nearly 30). Tevin threw for 1652 yards , averaging 10 yards per attempt. A lot of people like Nesbitt the best, or Justin Thomas, but I think Washington made the Flexbone look like it should look. If he’d had a Gibbs, holy cow would that offense have blown doors off of people.
When you see all those names at skill positions, they were all explosive as he**.