#GTvsCLEM Postgame

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’m not sure what we’re trying to do with Gibbs, but it sure feels like we are underutilizing the guy. He only had 11 touches yesterday. They have a stout run D, but we need to find more ways to get the ball in his hands in space.

Someone posted in another thread (or earlier in this one) that Choice was in his face for missing blocks. I do not know if that is true, but it would be a good reason to let him know there is more to the game than carrying the football.

But, my thought is the Clemson D manhandled him on several plays and Mason is a bigger back. Maybe their D forced Choice to give Gibbs fewer touches.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow! It's been a long time since our team has had a good showing on a big stage! This team fought so hard right down to the final whistle! I hope CGC can use this effort to really build something.

Yes, it was a loss. Yes, there were mistakes. Yes, Clemson doesn't belong at #6. However, this team fought hard. This team showed everyone that they have talent and heart! I am proud!

Despite his physical limitations, Yates is a baller! He has spunk and tenacity! I am so impressed with his play and I am excited for the future!

We have some talent building at the QB position! Maybe this will take some pressure off of Sims and will allow him to relax and work on his game? Our WRs looked good and it is refreshing to see a TE out there! Excited to see where we go from here!

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I saw Gibbs open a couple of times and he wasn't targeted. I don't know why Yates doesn't get it to him in passing situations. Maybe he doesn't know how to present as well, or maybe Yates practiced more with others and has a better feel for where they are going to be? But I am very surprised at how low Gibbs output is so far this year (based on my expectations which were probably not valid.)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
After some sleep - one thing I can say is that’s the most fun I’ve had watching us play in a long time.

I’m not sure what we’re trying to do with Gibbs, but it sure feels like we are underutilizing the guy. He only had 11 touches yesterday. They have a stout run D, but we need to find more ways to get the ball in his hands in space.

The guy I want to see with more touches is Dontae Smith. I can't escape the feeling that he is our best running back all things considered. Which is saying a lot because Gibbs and mason are both quality backs. But I think DS is the guy not getting enough touches, not JG.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I saw Gibbs open a couple of times and he wasn't targeted. I don't know why Yates doesn't get it to him in passing situations. Maybe he doesn't know how to present as well, or maybe Yates practiced more with others and has a better feel for where they are going to be? But I am very surprised at how low Gibbs output is so far this year (based on my expectations which were probably not valid.)
I also think that opposing defenses are a lot more aware of Gibbs this year. They will try to schematically eliminate him if they can, which is likely part of the reason for the decreased touches.

Scubapro

Banned
The players left it all on the field. The defense showed the improvement I was hoping to see.
The offense moved the ball well but Patenaude still can't score. The red zone offense and clock management needs to get corrected.
Special teams...onside kicks are tough to execute and require a bunch of luck but I witnessed one executed to perfection last night.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
Someone posted in another thread (or earlier in this one) that Choice was in his face for missing blocks. I do not know if that is true, but it would be a good reason to let him know there is more to the game than carrying the football.

But, my thought is the Clemson D manhandled him on several plays and Mason is a bigger back. Maybe their D forced Choice to give Gibbs fewer touches.
From TV it did look like Choice was on Gibbs for missing a block based on their hand gestures or I could be completely wrong.

I don’t think Clemson manhandled one running back versus the next, they were just in our backfield the entire game. Mason and Gibbs were both under 3.0 yd/carry.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Great game by GT coaches and players.

Good
1. Defensive game plan and execution
2. Jordan Yates. Leadership, decision making, unflappable, GAMER!
3. O game plan/huddling.
4. Charlie Thomas continues to be our best player on the field

Bad
1. OL got man handled, but expected.
2. Tackling. Especially on critical 3rd and longs. I wonder if emphasizing stripping the ball is hurting us here?
3. Redzone play calling and execution still needs a lot of work. I liked the shovel pass call, just missed the key block. Ugh!

Ugly
1. Clock management. Pretty obvious

Overall. Pleased with improvement, disappointed that we didn’t take something that was there for the taking. Could have been a huge statement win for the program. Still, I feel hope in the program I lacked before the game.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Great game by GT coaches and players.

Good
1. Defensive game plan and execution
2. Jordan Yates. Leadership, decision making, unflappable, GAMER!
3. O game plan/huddling.
4. Charlie Thomas continues to be our best player on the field

Bad
1. OL got man handled, but expected.
2. Tackling. Especially on critical 3rd and longs. I wonder if emphasizing stripping the ball is hurting us here?
3. Redzone play calling and execution still needs a lot of work. I liked the shovel pass call, just missed the key block. Ugh!

Ugly
1. Clock management. Pretty obvious

Overall. Pleased with improvement, disappointed that we didn’t take something that was there for the taking. Could have been a huge statement win for the program. Still, I feel hope in the program I lacked before the game.
I’m not sure the o line got manhandled. They just held their own which is great considering Clemson’s d line. They held their own and got beat occasionally which isn’t shocking.

I think we are doing what we can with our offense. Someone pointed out on that 4th down play if Yates threw it outside to Mason instead of the shovel inside he would’ve had a TD and I think he’s right.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Special teams...onside kicks are tough to execute and require a bunch of luck but I witnessed one executed to perfection last night.

Also, I think our KO guy has added a few years to my life. Remember dreading every kickoff ever since Butker left? Wondering if the other team would start on their 35 or 45? I actually relax now. I need to send whoever that kid is a thank you note.

slugboy

Staff member
  • Yates seems to have everyone’s belief that he can march them down the field and win.
  • After the KSU game, one poster said that he’d heard that some plays weren’t getting called for Yates because he wasn’t good at them. I don’t think I saw a read option in the Clemson game either.
  • Sims is faster, has a stronger arm, and is taller. If he could also do what Yates is doing—good completion rate, maintaining possession of the ball, looking off his reads quickly and effectively—he’d be one of the best QBs in the NCAA and on track for the NFL. Yates stepping up could be one of the best things possible for Sims if he also steps up and makes a real QB controversy.
  • Yates had a ~61% completion percentage and was behind most of the game. For a team on the road and behind from the first quarter to a top 10 team and a top defense, that’s efficient. Our yards per catch were solid and our yards per attempt were enough to move the sticks.
  • On offense, what hurt us was the lack of explosive plays. We had a few, but for the most part Clemson’s defense kept us in front of them.
  • Oh, I wish our offense could play FSU. They let fast players get around or behind them.
  • Clemson’s defense is one of the better defenses out there to frustrate Gibbs. They’re fast all over and sure tacklers. Gibbs is shifty and can find the holes in the defense to make a big play. Clemson didn’t have many (maybe not any) holes to find.
  • I’m impressed by the game our defensive line had. Clemson’s offensive line may not be amazing (they might be really good), but they’re all highly recruited and we mostly bowed up and gave them some grief. We got in the backfield some and got some TFLs and a couple of fumbles. The safety was a big havoc play.
I’ll write more later. Some stats are still coming in

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I had predicted a Tech in this game. Some may have thought I was joking. I was joking at times but I really believed we had a shot. I really did.

We all saw the same game so I think we are all mostly on the same page. Tech needed a few breaks and a couple of better play calls and this goes in the W column. But few teams play a perfect game and Tech looked like a credible football team on Saturday against a good opponent. No one should hang their head over this one.

As for Clemson, they will not make the playoffs this year unless they back in due to everyone else ahead of them falling apart. I think there are easily a half dozen teams in the country that could beat them right now.

Tech needs badly to win a game now to reward all the hard work the players and staff have put in.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
  • Yates seems to have everyone’s belief that he can march them down the field and win.
  • After the KSU game, one poster said that he’d heard that some plays weren’t getting called for Yates because he wasn’t good at them. I don’t think I saw a read option in the Clemson game either.
  • Sims is faster, has a stronger arm, and is taller. If he could also do what Yates is doing—good completion rate, maintaining possession of the ball, looking off his reads quickly and effectively—he’d be one of the best QBs in the NCAA and on track for the NFL. Yates stepping up could be one of the best things possible for Sims if he also steps up and makes a real QB controversy.
  • Yates had a ~61% completion percentage and was behind most of the game. For a team on the road and behind from the first quarter to a top 10 team and a top defense, that’s efficient. Our yards per catch were solid and our yards per attempt were enough to move the sticks.
  • On offense, what hurt us was the lack of explosive plays. We had a few, but for the most part Clemson’s defense kept us in front of them.
  • Oh, I wish our offense could play FSU. They let fast players get around or behind them.
  • Clemson’s defense is one of the better defenses out there to frustrate Gibbs. They’re fast all over and sure tacklers. Gibbs is shifty and can find the holes in the defense to make a big play. Clemson didn’t have many (maybe not any) holes to find.
  • I’m impressed by the game our defensive line had. Clemson’s offensive line may not be amazing (they might be really good), but they’re all highly recruited and we mostly bowed up and gave them some grief. We got in the backfield some and got some TFLs and a couple of fumbles. The safety was a big havoc play.
I’ll write more later. Some stats are still coming in
I saw Zeke Biggers have a huge push up the middle one play. It was amazing to see push you the middle on our d line. Can’t say I’ve seen that in at least ten years.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure the o line got manhandled. They just held their own which is great considering Clemson’s d line. They held their own and got beat occasionally which isn’t shocking.

I think we are doing what we can with our offense. Someone pointed out on that 4th down play if Yates threw it outside to Mason instead of the shovel inside he would’ve had a TD and I think he’s right.
I think Clemson had the edge bottled up on that play. Yates made the correct read we just missed the block. The RG had one job to do and he didn’t do it.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I saw Zeke Biggers have a huge push up the middle one play. It was amazing to see push you the middle on our d line. Can’t say I’ve seen that in at least ten years.

Noticed the same against KSU (granted it WAS KSu) but Biggers just stood his man up and pushed him straight backwards. Haven't really seen that from an interior DL since Gotsis. Those plays do catch your attention. I am excited about his future. And speaking of DT's, does anyone have better than Clemson?