GT's Long Snapper is a PHD Student

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If I remember correctly, Jaylon King graduated with a Civil Engineering degree, so count him among those. A PhD playing D1 football is insane too!
Doctoral student. Once he's passed the qualifiers and is working on his dissertation, he will be a Ph.D. (Doctoral) candidate.

At Tech, you can be a doctoral student if you've been accepted into the doctoral program for whatever school you've been admitted to. Most times, when the student goes straight into a doctoral program, they receive a terminal master's degree if they don't pass their qualifying examinations.

My personal feeling is that qualifying examinations are hazing and should not be part of the program. If the classes and the undergraduate academic record are not sufficient to qualify a student as a candidate, then there's something wrong with the program. The incessant need to require the current student to pass some rigorous examination to show they have the requisite knowledge when they just passed 30-45 credit hours of graduate course study is ludicrous. Make the classes count and flush a student if they can't hack the coursework. A superfluous examination by individual faculty members is an arbitrary and unnecessary qualification.

Last edited:

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Doctoral student. Once he's passed the qualifiers and is working on his dissertation, he will be a Ph.D. (Doctoral) candidate.

At Tech, you can be a doctoral student if you've been accepted into the doctoral program for whatever school you've been admitted to. Most times, when the student goes straight into a doctoral program, they receive a terminal master's degree if they don't pass their qualifying examinations.

My personal feeling is that qualifying examinations are hazing and should not be part of the program. If the classes and the undergraduate academic record are not sufficient to qualify a student as a candidate, then there's something wrong with the program. The incessant need to require the current student to pass some rigorous examination to show they have the requisite knowledge when they just passed 30-45 credit hours of graduate course study is ludicrous. Make the classes count and flush a student if they can't hack the coursework. A superfluous examination by individual faculty members is an arbitrary and unnecessary qualification.
I see your point but I don't know if I agree. The exam could test how much of the coursework he has retained and the ability to apply what he was taught.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
DeepSnap, it is quite evident that you and I know each other and ate many meals for four years at Twiggs Tavern, also known as the training table. And went to many study halls together 5 nights a week. I was one of those scholarship basketball players who was told what my major would be and for the most part what classes I would take. That was a good idea because I had never heard of calculus until I had to take it my first semester. We did have algebra in my southwest Georgia high school though, and I was the valedictorian of my senior class of 35. I was very proud of graduating in 12 quarters with a 2.6 GPA, or the Army would have drafted me like they did basketball letterwinner Tommy Bowling , who heeded one quarter to graduate, was drafted, and earned the silver star, bronze star, and purple heart in Vietnam. He came back in 1973 and graduated. I was one of those lucky ones who had a low draft lottery number and had to remain in ROTC for four years and then had full ride to join the army with real money, and very happy to get that. Jobs were scarce in 1972. Footballers Meade and Herman are good friends still today, as well as baseballers Mike Sorrow and Cam Bonifay and footballer and trackster Brent Cunningham . All us scholarship athletes got to know each other since we all ate together most every meal. We were very fortunate as Georgia Tech student athletes to know all the other athletes (and cheerleaders :) ) and to maintain lifetime friends and acquaintances. My above average GPA of 2.6 prepared me for earning three more advanced degrees since then, now retired from the Army and from the defense industry corporate world.
Very well stated, Tom.

Did not know the story about the former West Fannin Yellow Jacket, Tom Bowling. Saw him at a fall golf outing at Stone Mountain a decade or so ago.

I got out with a 2.54 and the Navy never could understand why it was so low. With a Lottery Number of 43, I'm glad they kept me around.

Also retired from the Navy & again from a DoD civilian job first in Huntsville, then the UK.

Other than the mass emailing announcement about Veterans' Recognition Night next week, have you seen anything directed at us Letterwinner Vets? Saw Derrick Deems at the UNC game and he hadn't heard anything then.

THWg!

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Very well stated, Tom.

Did not know the story about the former West Fannin Yellow Jacket, Tom Bowling. Saw him at a fall golf outing at Stone Mountain a decade or so ago.

I got out with a 2.54 and the Navy never could understand why it was so low. With a Lottery Number of 43, I'm glad they kept me around.

Also retired from the Navy & again from a DoD civilian job first in Huntsville, then the UK.

Other than the mass emailing announcement about Veterans' Recognition Night next week, have you seen anything directed at us Letterwinner Vets? Saw Derrick Deeds at the UNC game and he hadn't heard anything then.

THWg!
I talked to Derrick yesterday. He and I both talked to Lucius and no one has heard of anything for the Heroes Day next weekend for the recognition of military veteran letterwinners. At least last year Lucius and I worked hard with the athletic department's Lucius Sanford and Tom Conner to get recognition for WW II vets retired AD Homer Rice football and basketball letterwinner Bobby Gaston, who turned 100 last month. There is recognition for veterans in general next week. Things have changed since the days when veteran over 25 letterwinners were honored with us walking out on the field during a break in the game. Something seems to have changed in "fan experience" since on Dec 7, 2020 Georgia Tech entered into a corporate agreement with Legends, Inc to promote fan experience. https://www.legends.net/news/georgi...tnership-across-key-athletics-revenue-streams . Seems marketing decides what goes on at game's spare moments. Also, happy Veterans Day to a fellow veteran from Dalton Georgia who was most likely the GOAT of Yellow Jacket deep snappers. https://ramblinwreck.com/star-struck/ . Derrick told me that he heard that Clint Castleberry's retired number has been removed from Bobby Dodd Stadium. Derrick is confirming that now. From Wikipedia, "The only retired jersey in Georgia Tech football history is No. 19.[31] The number belonged to Tech halfback Clint Castleberry. Castleberry played on the No. 5 ranked 1942 Tech team as a true freshman and was third place in the 1942 Heisman Trophy voting. After ending his freshman year at Tech, Castleberry elected to join the war effort and signed up for the Army Air Corps. While co-piloting a B-26 Marauder over Africa, Castleberry, his crew, and another B-26 disappeared and were never heard from again. Castleberry has been memorialized on Grant Field ever since, with a prominent No. 19 on display in the stadium."

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Derrick told me that he heard that Clint Castleberry's retired number has been removed from Bobby Dodd Stadium. Derrick is confirming that now.
2014 it was here on the edge of the Edge:
IMG_0161.jpeg

Only found this picure from this year, not there.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
I was referring to this memorial that used to be there until recently

View attachment 15123
That likeness of Clint said a lots about Tech football in 1942 and how tough the players were back then. Bobby Gaston, Tech football and basketball letterwinner, was Clint's teammate in high school and at Tech. Bobby wore number 19 the season after Clint volunteered for the Army Air Corps, then the number was retired after Clint was killed in a crash off North Africa. Bobby, a WW II navy vet who fought in the South Pacific, just turned 100 years old on October 18, and wants to make it to the Syracuse game recognizing Veterans and first responders. That likeness of Clint is a neat likeness and I hope made it to a good place at Tech.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
That likeness of Clint said a lots about Tech football in 1942 and how tough the players were back then. Bobby Gaston, Tech football and basketball letterwinner, was Clint's teammate in high school and at Tech. Bobby wore number 19 the season after Clint volunteered for the Army Air Corps, then the number was retired after Clint was killed in a crash off North Africa. Bobby, a WW II navy vet who fought in the South Pacific, just turned 100 years old on October 18, and wants to make it to the Syracuse game recognizing Veterans and first responders. That likeness of Clint is a neat likeness and I hope made it to a good place at Tech.
Next thing you know, the Edge Rice building will be renamed.

INJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I had classes
I had a couple of EE classes with Herman Lamm around 1972 or 73. Pretty sure Ellis Gardner was EE with highest GPA when he graduated. There was some sort of plaque on a wall in the EE building for Gardner. Impressive!!!!
FB players in EE were rare. Most were IM back then.
Class of 1974: Bill Dorman Civil Engineering, Andy Naples EE, Don Robinson Biology then Med School Pulmonary and CCM in Macon, Pete Geren Arch then US Rep for TX and Acting Secy Air Force, Undersecretary Army, Bob Cord Ceramic Eng, Dean Campbell Civil Eng, Billy Shields Civil Engineering (Class of 1975) NFL with Chargers & Niners , ....

No dummies on that team!

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow

Fwiw when I did it (but not at GT) the qual exam was more narrowly focused on my specific research space than any particular course. Had we digested the 100 or so key research papers written on our narrowly defined research area? Narrow enough to have perhaps only gotten a brief mention in one lecture within a single course.
It also tested capacity to conduct research, in my case by drafting/presenting a mini research proposal as part of the exam.
So it was not about the coursework you had taken, it was about whether you were ready to do original work in your space.
Most everyone passed albeit some on 2nd try.
Back to sports:)