#GTCamp20 Coverage

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I certainly wish we had more information regarding the team as we approach the season, but I know we have most of our starters returning and we had the best recruiting class since 2007. Also, we have several transfers eligible this year who sat out 2019. I feel confident we will be better. Will we be better on Sept 11th? I feel less confident about that. What I do feel confident about relative that game is that Graham and Mason will be in the starting backfield. The freshmen and Yates will likely play a lot this fall, but I think Graham deserves to be the starter. He was a warrior last fall against terrible odds. I think he is the starter until he shows he isn't up to the job. Probably the thing that I am least confident about is our OL. We just have too few ACC level bodies up front.

I am really looking forward to seeing Gibbs play, but Mason was All-ACC last year. Unless he gets hurt or Gibbs has access to a phone booth, Mason is the starter.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We didn’t enter prior seasons making excuses about how we can’t compete with the likes of teams like FSU. In fact, I don’t remember it the entire time I’ve been a GT fan. Yeah, maybe we didn’t expect to win but we went into each game knowing we had a chance & GT has pulled off some of the most spectacular upsets in college football. I’m looking forward to that ending this year. Telling our kids we’re going to lose before the season even starts is just wrong. I don’t even know how you do that as a coach/fan unless you think you’re in the “Suck for Luck” NFL race to the bottom. Even then as a competitor it just does not even compute with me how you could want your team to lose or have that mentality.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
So I watched highlights of Temple. The offense was good not great. Russo was a capable runner but not a good runner. Good ball placement however. CDP likes to pass. Russo chucked the rock around. Armstead had great burst but not much speed or wiggle. I don’t see a lot of creativity.
Anyway.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I certainly wish we had more information regarding the team as we approach the season, but I know we have most of our starters returning and we had the best recruiting class since 2007. Also, we have several transfers eligible this year who sat out 2019. I feel confident we will be better. Will we be better on Sept 11th? I feel less confident about that. What I do feel confident about relative that game is that Graham and Mason will be in the starting backfield. The freshmen and Yates will likely play a lot this fall, but I think Graham deserves to be the starter. He was a warrior last fall against terrible odds. I think he is the starter until he shows he isn't up to the job. Probably the thing that I am least confident about is our OL. We just have too few ACC level bodies up front.

I am really looking forward to seeing Gibbs play, but Mason was All-ACC last year. Unless he gets hurt or Gibbs has access to a phone booth, Mason is the starter.
FWIW I don’t expect to see Graham start the game. Obviously could be wrong but he’s not the kind of QB CGC and CDP want so if he is it means he really came on strong and took the spot. If it’s close I wouldn’t be surprised if it is one of the freshmen. Gibbs won’t take carries from Mason, he will be used differently.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
FWIW I don’t expect to see Graham start the game. Obviously could be wrong but he’s not the kind of QB CGC and CDP want so if he is it means he really came on strong and took the spot. If it’s close I wouldn’t be surprised if it is one of the freshmen. Gibbs won’t take carries from Mason, he will be used differently.
Agreed. Gibbs might be the next potential Heisman candidate to come outta Tech, but he has two workhorses in front of him and a limited freshman camp.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
So I watched highlights of Temple. The offense was good not great. Russo was a capable runner but not a good runner. Good ball placement however. CDP likes to pass. Russo chucked the rock around. Armstead had great burst but not much speed or wiggle. I don’t see a lot of creativity.
Anyway.

Didn’t really have the personnel to do what he does. He took over a traditional power offense. Go look at his stuff from costal Carolina. Even what we did some of last year.

he likes to get mismatches (what OC doesn’t like that?) he’s pretty deliberate with what he does though. You will see him do little things to set other stuff up. He actually called pretty good games last year for what he had. ALOT of not execution was a big issue last year.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Not sure where you got that from? I owe my man Paul my entire college career and an OB ring. The guy just isn't a warm fuzzy hype monster. IIWII - a favorite quote of his

Keep up that good attitude though, I am sure you are joy to be around!
Try and remember that.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
not sure I follow, can you elaborate what you mean?

are you trying to apply your views as a fan to my deeply personal relationship with my coach? A guy who outside of my parents was the biggest influence in my relatively young life? Would love to hear what you are trying to say.

Guy be so out of pocket and entitled, now.
I don’t get it.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
ED15AEF9-2D3C-4DDF-B4EA-4927A65F9D9F.jpeg

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Someone @ me when Collins says something interesting. Don’t chastise me, I know a lot of it is great for recruiting, but I’ve heard it all before. Like last week, and the week before that.

edit: just let me know when he gets to “the football piece” of his job.

Last edited: