GTAA

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
We all know Collins is a disaster but let’s back up and discuss the GTAA leadership. We have suffered for a long time with the football and basketball programs due to the GTAA’s poor leadership...bad hires, out of touch with the fan base, terrible contracts, and elitist attitudes. Yes, Collins needs to go but the GTAA needs to be revamped. Curious to hear others’ inputs.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
We all know Collins is a disaster but let’s back up and discuss the GTAA leadership. We have suffered for a long time with the football and basketball programs due to the GTAA’s poor leadership...bad hires, out of touch with the fan base, terrible contracts, and elitist attitudes. Yes, Collins needs to go but the GTAA needs to be revamped. Curious to hear others’ inputs.
There’s definitely some dead wood working there.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I can only give you my perspective. I have a 40+ year relationship with GTAA, a 30+ year relationship with UT, and see the Auburn and Alabama athletic programs up close.

GTAA is closer to a high school or D2 program than D1. It was a very weak operation under Doug Weaver and Homer Rice brought a much more professional orientation to running it. Sadly, that level of competence (not that it was super great, but far better than today) has eroded away.

I think GT would do FAR better if they would overhaul the entire BoT and leadership and make it a professionally run athletics program. But that's not the mission. It's to create leaders of tomorrow and why we don't have many subject matter experts in key roles.

Ask anyone at Alabama Nick Saban's greatest accomplishment? Almost everyone says, "He professionalized the athletic association." Saban got the boosters out and brought in industry experts for every key role. His OC a few years ago quipped, "There is no difference between Alabama football and any NFL team. They are organized and run the same way."

Ours is still stuck in 1969.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I think the President should get someone like Saban or Spurrier to consult in the off season. Call in every department that has to do with sports. And tell them step by step this is how it’s done if you want to remain here. Executive decision to the Hill that these are the qualifications. If the player meets those parameters and the coach wants him, no questions asked. Top down.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Here’s the current members of the GTAA’s Board of Trustees;

I wonder if having that many faculty members is anywhere near the norm.
They may know something about athletics. Maybe they played as an undergrad somewhere. But that just seems very tilted toward the academics side of the house, you know?