GTAA financial Issues

GTFLETCH

Banned
I think the GTAA is trying to implement an intelligent approach to dealing with the financial issue. The completed a long-term refinancing of the debt and lowered payments significantly. AI2020 initiative will help consolidate facilities and provide for some much needed new infrastructure. TStan has said that in 3 years or so, many more legacy costs will end and they can begin to deal more aggressively with debt and with a more appropriate reinvestment rate. The deal with Mercedes Benz will generate $1-2M a year.

For the first time in my 40 year association with Tech, the GTAA actually has a plan.
That is why CPJ and a ton of fans love AD TStan!!! The one thing I am interested in is how does he deal with Coach Pastner mess he inherited... I bet when the $$ is right he cuts ties with him!!!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
As the number of Baptist ministers in a town increases, so do alcohol sales. Correlation and causation are two different things. When Bama wins a national championship, the quality of applicants doesn't necessarily improve. More applicants mean that poorer students are not accepted, thus raising average scores.
Bob (BUT not BobinATL)

Alabama disagrees.

“At 38,103 students, UA’s enrollment surpassed 38,000 for the third consecutive year, boosted by a 10% in-state increase. In addition, 40% graduated in the top 10% of their high school graduating class (a UA record); 38% have a high school grade-point average of 4.0 or higher, with the average grade-point average being 3.77 (both are UA records); and approximately 40% have an ACT score of 30 or more for the third consecutive year.

The 2019 freshman class includes 256 National Merit Scholars, the largest in UA history. Last year, UA ranked second nationally among public universities with 187 among the freshman class. Currently, UA has more than 700 National Merit Scholars enrolled.”

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
That is why CPJ and a ton of fans love AD TStan!!! The one thing I am interested in is how does he deal with Coach Pastner mess he inherited... I bet when the $$ is right he cuts ties with him!!!

Pastner May be proving not to be a mess...IF this season goes well, and based on the players we have returning next year plus a good recruiting class, I’d expect Pastner to be here for awhile.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Josh is a good guy who just hasn’t produced. I agree. I think ultimately, he’s not retained.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Pastner May be proving not to be a mess...IF this season goes well, and based on the players we have returning next year plus a good recruiting class, I’d expect Pastner to be here for awhile.

For a school that is in the number one media market of the number one basketball conference... Josh hasn’t had an impact.

I like him. But he just hasn’t done much for us. What we need is another Bobby Cremins.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The ACC is a greast basketball conference.
Unc, duke, ncst bb cash is big.

We are in Atl - w tons of corporate $$.
Getting into and out of our bb arena is a snap.
If we change coaches, can we please raise some $$ and get a coach that's a proven winner.

A winning acc basketball team in ATL is money.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Alabama disagrees.

“At 38,103 students, UA’s enrollment surpassed 38,000 for the third consecutive year, boosted by a 10% in-state increase. In addition, 40% graduated in the top 10% of their high school graduating class (a UA record); 38% have a high school grade-point average of 4.0 or higher, with the average grade-point average being 3.77 (both are UA records); and approximately 40% have an ACT score of 30 or more for the third consecutive year.

The 2019 freshman class includes 256 National Merit Scholars, the largest in UA history. Last year, UA ranked second nationally among public universities with 187 among the freshman class. Currently, UA has more than 700 National Merit Scholars enrolled.”

Yes, UA loves them some NMS kids. They recruit them with big $$ schollies. I know, since my son was one along with many, many other accomplishments. Both of my kids basically were making $$ going to school, while when I was at GT, I lived on PB sandwiches. :)

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Alabama disagrees.

Thanks for that info. Not sure similar numbers are not reflected elsewhere.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The Institute does not share donor information with the GTAA

I can't find the post or the link right now, but I believe this has changed recently. Something TStan accomplished, got them to share lists. Which IIUC is part of the renewed Athletics fundraising. Maybe someone else has the info? Or I dreamed it...

Agree with everything else.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yes, UA loves them some NMS kids. They recruit them with big $$ schollies. I know, since my son was one along with many, many other accomplishments. Both of my kids basically were making $$ going to school, while when I was at GT, I lived on PB sandwiches. :)
Ha, I tutored football players for large jars of peanut butter and jelly. Stored jelly on window ledge during winter quarter.
Good times.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
The article is behind a pay firewall and I am saving the $1 to add to my GTAA contribution (tic). That said, I am not following the logic in GTs case given that (all stats from www.gt.edu and for 2018)
1) We have a 23% overall admit rate with a total of 35,613 applications. I believe this to be just graduates. Of the 8,100 accepted, a little over 3,000 choose to enroll. GT is not lacking for applicants. For reference UGA had 29.300 applicants and admitted, 45% and 5,500 enrolled (2019 stats).
2) The student's that applied had an SAT between 1400-1520 or ACT between 31-34. Probably the students that are considering GT by and large are not going to be influenced by GT playing in the national championship game.

Will playing for a national championship increase the overall visibility of GT? Yes
Will increasing the overall visibility of GT "help" the institute? Yes
How much and how will it help? Unknown.
Will playing for a national championship increase enrollment at GT? No
Will playing for a national championship help GT's academics? No
All I can say from first hand knowledge is that Duke does believe athletic success is worth it to the school overall. Better/applicants, better success in fund raising and a better attitude on campus. If it worth it for them why wouldn’t it be for Tech?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I can't find the post or the link right now, but I believe this has changed recently. Something TStan accomplished, got them to share lists. Which IIUC is part of the renewed Athletics fundraising. Maybe someone else has the info? Or I dreamed it...

Agree with everything else.
At the 18 usf game I talked about this w a lady who worked 20 years for gtaa. I was wondering why thier were so few gt people at will call. I asked her if they have alumni list for promoting attendance = no.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Every bit is true. Problem is that talking about it in a forum doesn’t do anything. Need to get it out publicly somehow. Preferably to the entire GT Alumni Association members somehow, but a public news article would also help.

herb

Helluva Engineer

One of my son’s friends was a NMS kid, is at Alabama on a free ride. I don’t believe he was accepted to Tech.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
All I can say from first hand knowledge is that Duke does believe athletic success is worth it to the school overall. Better/applicants, better success in fund raising and a better attitude on campus. If it worth it for them why wouldn’t it be for Tech?

Very simply - it would be. No down side.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Tech’s enrollment cap, limited curriculum and low acceptance rate has the effect that .. Tech doesn’t need to upgrade the student body. It is already elite.

I do think Tech is missing out using athletics to unify the alumni base and drive donations. Alabama has not only increased donations, but the athletic department has gifted new academic buildings from surplusses.

It really is win win.

Animal02

Banned
Tech’s enrollment cap, limited curriculum and low acceptance rate has the effect that .. Tech doesn’t need to upgrade the student body. It is already elite.

I do think Tech is missing out using athletics to unify the alumni base and drive donations. Alabama has not only increased donations, but the athletic department has gifted new academic buildings from surplusses.

It really is win win.
Uniting the alumni? If it is any indication from here.......all it does is divide the alumni even further.......worse than politics. :p

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I got the 'dialing for dollars' call last night for the Roll Call. I explained I will increase my donations however my increases will all go to the AT fund. The caller tried to get me to increase my Roll Call donation instead but I explained that the athletics department can benefit more and potentially help increase Roll Call funding down the road. They did not argue and thanked me for my support of GT.

Thanks for the ideas shared in this posting/