GT @ Wake Forest 2/19/20

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The kind of who cares how it happened but we needed it win on the road in February in the ACC. Jose and especially DeVoe are the headliners but I thought Cole was the big unsung hero playing the second half after everyone including the water boy fouled out. 7 rebounds plus strong moves to the hoop off passes were huge.

FWIW we really didn't run an offense tonight. Whoever was at the top of the key - usually Jose or DeVoe - just took their guy off the bounce. Usher did it some and Bubba tried but couldn't convert off the dribble. There was really no ball movement, off ball screens, or anything else resembling an "offense". The big question to me was why Manning stayed in man while Jose and DeVoe routinely torched their defenders off the bounce. We really didn't even run the high ball screen - just spread a bit and said go to work. Not sure why they didn't go zone to make sure they have help on the drives and take their chances with any shooters we may kick to. But I guess that is why Manning is Manning.

Regardless - 72 free throws in any basketball game is beyond ridiculous. The refs were seeing things all night long on both sides and in the stands. The crew of Jeff Clark, Lee Cassell, Brian Dorsey need a time out after this fiasco.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Great effort on the road with most everyone in foul trouble. Thank goodness we didn't go into overtime or Pastner may have been suiting up. And I agree a lot about Cole being the unsung hero. On to Syracuse.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Just got home from Winston, anybody know why didn’t Banks play tonight? F’n refs!!! I swear that was the cheapest 5 fouls I’ve ever seen a player get. Great game from our backcourt. I feel like we easily forget how good Devoe can be. That guy is “crafty” at getting in the lane. Cole played a good game off the bench.

I thought Jose did a FANTASTIC job making life hell for Childress tonight. That was a quiet 16 points he had.

Let’s get on a roll and see what happens!!!

bos

Helluva Engineer
Great effort on the road with most everyone in foul trouble. Thank goodness we didn't go into overtime or Pastner may have been suiting up. And I agree a lot about Cole being the unsung hero. On to Syracuse.

That's what I was thinking at the end as well. Both Usher and Devoe ended up with 4 fouls. If they were gone then you'd have Moore and Phillips in. WF is much deeper.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If someone told me Wake was going to shoot nearly 50% from the field and over 30% from 3, I would not have predicted our win.

The difference between 20 and 13 turnovers is big.

I saw Devoe draw a no-touch foul, but I saw 3 or 4 against us. I know I'm biased, but how is it not a foul to jump on a player on the ground with possession?

Just got home from Winston, anybody know why didn’t Banks play tonight? F’n refs!!! I swear that was the cheapest 5 fouls I’ve ever seen a player get. Great game from our backcourt. I feel like we easily forget how good Devoe can be. That guy is “crafty” at getting in the lane. Cole played a good game off the bench.

I thought Jose did a FANTASTIC job making life hell for Childress tonight. That was a quiet 16 points he had.

Let’s get on a roll and see what happens!!!
Banks did play tonight. He fouled out early in the 2nd half, thanks to the refs.

Deleted member 2897

The Refs averaged calling 1 foul every 47 seconds for the entire game.

That is so ridiculously pathetic.

slugboy

Staff member
Cole ended up with three fouls, and in the last couple of minutes I was wondering if we could possibly get called with enough fouls to tip the game In Wake’s direction. In the last two minutes, it seemed like there was a foul called every 15 seconds, and I’m sure we just wanted the clock to run.
Usually, the team in the lead doesn’t get called so often in the last couple—it’s the team behind fouling on purpose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
With a different officiating crew, we win that game by 20.

The ACC and college basketball need to look at the impact of officiating on the game. I'm not talking about bias one way or the other - I'm talking about the quality of the game, and flow and excitement of the game. Last night's game was almost unwatchable because of the refs. It's bad for the health of the game.

/

alagold

Helluva Engineer
A fine win.THIS is the way we hoped we would look for the last 2 yrs.Wake scored a bunch but with Banks out can't expect much more.
On OFF--just wow --won the TO battle, won the FT battle and won the 3pt battle--what more can you want --and AWAY.
Lots of teams in away games deep in FEB are getting creamed. We are peaking it looks like.Sweet.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
That's what I was thinking at the end as well. Both Usher and Devoe ended up with 4 fouls. If they were gone then you'd have Moore and Phillips in. WF is much deeper.
Poor Moore. I don't know what happened to him, but he's a shell of the player he was as a freshman. He can't even come close to making open 10 footers any more. Unless he's a headcase, it feels like the staff has mismanaged him into irrelevancy. He should be a strong contributor off the bench, who could give us 10-15 pts in a game like last night's.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
i seldom see this but even on the Wake board in their game thread a number of posters commented about how they were benefitting from foul calls and it was the only thing keeping them in the game.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just a fun stat to pile on - recognizing I didn't watch the game - but UVA was 16-22 from the FT line while BC was 1-2.
ACC might want to look at that one too.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Pastner really opened his post game press conference complaining about tech losing Okogie early and wake losing John Collins early. He’s never going to get over it.