GT-VT game thread.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
1676515015251.gif

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
We are playing some solid basketball right now and should go into every game expecting to win (except maybe Pitt). Some silly mistakes to clean up that have already been addressed in this thread but we are playing good team basketball on both ends of the court right now. If this keeps up, I think we should be fully capable of making a run to the QF. Probably a buzzsaw there but 5 wins in 5 days has happened before.

Shoutout to that clustered student section behind the west goal. They brought good life to the arena and the energy had VT frazzled and panicked a bit when they were down double digits in the 2nd half. Probably one of the main reasons it took them so long to start closing the gap. Could be a different result without some of those panic/rattled offensive possessions they had there early in the 2nd. The defense really fed off it too.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A flagrant foul against the other team? The refs must have been smoking the wacky weed before the game.
They elbowed Terry in the head and grabbed Sturd on a breakaway . Both ruled flagrant on them. Shots and the ball. Interesting they only shot 8 FT's. That's been our story all season.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
We are playing some solid basketball right now and should go into every game expecting to win (except maybe Pitt). Some silly mistakes to clean up that have already been addressed in this thread but we are playing good team basketball on both ends of the court right now. If this keeps up, I think we should be fully capable of making a run to the QF. Probably a buzzsaw there but 5 wins in 5 days has happened before.

Shoutout to that clustered student section behind the west goal. They brought good life to the arena and the energy had VT frazzled and panicked a bit when they were down double digits in the 2nd half. Probably one of the main reasons it took them so long to start closing the gap. Could be a different result without some of those panic/rattled offensive possessions they had there early in the 2nd. The defense really fed off it too.
I believe that was reck club. Good job by them

GT33

Helluva Engineer
No, they were legit fouls. #25 must have forgotten that Valentine’s Day was YESTERDAY, the way he was hugging our players…
Wow, I obviously missed an amazing game. We usually don't get to shoot FTs when we've harmed other player's elbows with our faces & it's definitely rare for us to get FTs after having gotten a reacharound.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Wow, I obviously missed an amazing game. We usually don't get to shoot FTs when we've harmed other player's elbows with our faces & it's definitely rare for us to get FTs after having gotten a reacharound.
VT doesn’t get to the line much more than we do. We got 4 from the two flagrant 1 calls which helped get up to the 1 and 1. Sadly we only hit 53% of our FTs.

Good to get the win. We were very shaky late in the game. Fortunately VT was not able to take advantage of out bad plays.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Great win. Pastner kept the bench super short. Honestly the offense we ran and everything was the same we've been playing all year but there was great effort on defense and we made a few shots. We've missed so many open 3s this year it's crazy.

Also the hokies are a decent team but the announcers talking like they are a potential tournament team is a joke. They had a really good ooc record but less than . 500 in the acc doesn't get you there

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Great win. Pastner kept the bench super short. Honestly the offense we ran and everything was the same we've been playing all year but there was great effort on defense and we made a few shots. We've missed so many open 3s this year it's crazy.

Also the hokies are a decent team but the announcers talking like they are a potential tournament team is a joke. They had a really good ooc record but less than . 500 in the acc doesn't get you there
They needed to win tonight to have a chance. Not sure if losing to us on the road is a Quad 3 or Quad 4 loss. Those are killers for the NCAST. Much more important than overall Conference records.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Well, there was a close no-call where Sturdivant fouled someone’s elbow with his mouth. They didn’t call him for the foul, but he did have to leave the game until he could get the bleeding stopped.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Since GT has a connection with the Barry family (via Jon) maybe CJP should bring in Rick Barry to show them the underhand foul shot technique. People can laugh at it all they want, but he had a career 90% FT rate.
Would love to see that happen!

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Zero minutes for Howard. hard to argue with that, but you would think he can give Franklin a rest for a minute. Franklin has been balling lately and had a great game, but is Howard in the doghouse or what? we used to develop big men when Reveno was an assistant and now...

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Zero minutes for Howard. hard to argue with that, but you would think he can give Franklin a rest for a minute. Franklin has been balling lately and had a great game, but is Howard in the doghouse or what? we used to develop big men when Reveno was an assistant and now...
I think that it is safe to say that JaVon has developed immensely. He's been one of our best for the last 4-5 games. Double-Doubles, dunking on people game after game, blocking shots.

Don't allow Rodney's regression to take away from the develop of Franklin. Also, don't overlook Moore, he is on the verge. If you need more examples of develop, Deivon has really turned a corner as well.

From my vantage point, Deebo and Miles also seem to be getting more mature (i.e., consistent hustle, playing a complete floor game). They're effecting the game without the ball.

Our guys have gotten better, no doubt it. Not taking anything away from Rev, but it was more than just him. Like Josh said, it came about month too late this year.