GT - VT game thoughts

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I just rewatched the game for the second time...and last.

- I still can't understand why we were so sloppy on O...I've never seen so many mental mistakes in any football game before.

- Darren Waller, Summers, Laskey, Mason and I believe Jackson all had false starts...Mason several times.

- I can't remember a false start by the B back in CPJ's tenure here and only one false start by the WR group since he has been here.

- I'm not sure what caused all this chaos...I know the VT DL had a impact on Mason and the OL. But Waller, Summers and Laskey?

- Hopkins lived in the backfield...He destroyed us. He lead VT in tackles with 7.

- It seemed it stunned our OL and whole offense with Fuller coming up to the LOS.

- The fumble by Vad on the first drive was a killer for us.

- Our A backs only had 5 carries all game!

- Sims ran tough and low

- Smelter is a natural...very good WR.

- Waller is the opposite.

- Harrison Butker made a nick K on the 49 yard FG.

- Really proud of the D...they fought hard all night and played a pretty good game. Got a lot of pressure and kept us in the game. Props to Roof and all the players on D.

- Wow...Our Special teams is awful. I didn't notice how bad till I watched the film. There is nothing they do right. Very bad.

- Snoddy doesn't seem like a good KO...he's a east to west runner.

- As bad as we played there is always next week and I would have to think the guys come out wanting to prove something. I hope we can get something going on offense.

- On a positive note James Gayle, Hopkins, Tyler, Collins, Edwards and Fuller all graduate this year and we will never have to face them again.

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
I still can't bring myself to watch the broadcasted version of the game, it looked bad enough from the strudent section. Who would have thought during the offseason that the offense would be our biggest problem? Defense has played out of their minds this year, and Ted Roof has made some great adjustments over the course of these last couple games. The offense (as has been stated a dozen times before) looked awful, both from a performance and a playcalling standpoint (what happened to those pistol plays that were supposed to play to Vad's strengths?). If they don't make some serious adjustments in a really short amount of time then we're going to have some more frustrating games. Snoddy was just bad at returning, plain and simple. He may be fast, but that's about it. No vision and runs in straight lines. Not sure what our other options are. I really want to see Smelter utilized more to mix up the playcalling a bit, though. In just a few games he's made it apparent he's far and away our best receiver. He's got size, speed, hands, and makes moves after the catch. And to think he may still be shaking off some of the rust. Sims looks good. Decent speed, good physicality. Godhigh is still the man though. Butker is the real deal, could be our best kicker in a very long time. He made 49 yards look like nothing and could give us at least some kind of edge this year (no idea why a lot of teams don't have their kicker on scholarship but they do 3rd string linebackers who'll never make a real impact). The O-line was awful. No discipline and let guys into the backfield all game. Also, no idea why we didn't do much of anything to counter Fuller. Everyone watching knew what he was about to do when he was way up on the line.

TL;DR Offense bad, defense good (say whaaaaaa?)

Last edited:

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
Just started watching, and the camera just missed me during their pan of the student section :( Let's see if they get me at some point looking heartbroken...

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
My guess about all the false starts is there were communication issues in the huddle. I don't know how "loss of concentration" can impact so many different players in a row.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
What concerns me about the game is that this is the most talented, deep and experienced o-line Paul Johnson has had here. I'm afraid this might be the ceiling for our offensive line performance.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Eric - right on abount Snoddy and KR ... on his first he ran 50 yards or so. Unfortunately 40 of those were frome East to West.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Awful game plan.. When the line is getting beat up like that yes put him in the gun. No diamond formation, questionable play calls, continuous off sides penalties, receivers not making plays, fumbles, just terrible.

He simplified the offense enough for Bud Foster to dial up the perfect calls against it. I can't think of one person on offense that had a good game, maybe Sims. I lay this game on CPJ, his team was not ready.

Sims went the wrong way 3 times at critical times that blew up plays. The whole offense stunk.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow

- I still can't understand why we were so sloppy on O...I've never seen so many mental mistakes in any football game before.

- Darren Waller, Summers, Laskey, Mason and I believe Jackson all had false starts...Mason several times.

- I can't remember a false start by the B back in CPJ's tenure here and only one false start by the WR group since he has been here.

- I'm not sure what caused all this chaos...I know the VT DL had a impact on Mason and the OL. But Waller, Summers and Laskey?

- Hopkins lived in the backfield...He destroyed us. He lead VT in tackles with 7.

- It seemed it stunned our OL and whole offense with Fuller coming up to the LOS.

- The fumble by Vad on the first drive was a killer for us.

- Our A backs only had 5 carries all game!

- Sims ran tough and low

- Smelter is a natural...very good WR.

- Waller is the opposite.

- Harrison Butker made a nick K on the 49 yard FG.

- Really proud of the D...they fought hard all night and played a pretty good game. Got a lot of pressure and kept us in the game. Props to Roof and all the players on D.

- Wow...Our Special teams is awful. I didn't notice how bad till I watched the film. There is nothing they do right. Very bad.

- Snoddy doesn't seem like a good KO...he's a east to west runner.

- As bad as we played there is always next week and I would have to think the guys come out wanting to prove something. I hope we can get something going on offense.

- On a positive note James Gayle, Hopkins, Tyler, Collins, Edwards and Fuller all graduate this year and we will never have to face them again.
I agree with everything, just wanted to second that we need to find more ways to get godhigh the ball.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

Yep I thought the same thing. I then also thought.... HEY! You guys see that guy that keeps coming up to the LOS before every snap since like the first quarter? Yeah, you think we should key on that? Audible? Or find someway to use that defensive alignment to our advantage? I don't know maybe try the rocket toss to his side so he can't get outside quick enough... Anywho they had enough guys in the box to storm the castle.