GT vs VPI&SU

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Wondered the same on Hughes. Ryan was suspended for off-field issues--don't know more beyond that.

Great weekend for the Jackets. Need to get a W on Tuesday vs Kennedaw State and then need at least 1 win at Chapel Hill.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ugly 8th for us pitching with only a 4 run lead now. Like how fast Hall is pulling pitchers though.

If we go 500 in ACC play, we'll solidly be in the tourney. That's why getting ahead of 500 is so important and losing 3 to start hurt so much. I know VT isn't very good and we'll find out a lot more next weekend. From ACC Standings & GT Finish, two years ago for ACC seeding and I think comparable last year,
"Top 6 ranged from +18 to +1 games over 500;
7 to 10 ranged from 500 to 4 games under 500;
Bottom four teams were -9 to -12 games."

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Important to win the series, getting the sweep is gravy.

Agree that being .500 in ACC should get us to the NCAA's W/O having to first make, the WIN the ACC Tournament.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
First chance I have gotten to see GT play in a couple of weeks.

Hughes looked.....OK.....not great, but OK. Well, maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but he gave up some hard hit balls. But, I really wonder why he left after only 4 innings. I hope he didn't hurt anything....we are desperately short of starting pitching with King out.

Kel looks good, but frankly Kel always looks good against weaker teams.

Thought Carpenter looked very sharp. Jake Lee had bad luck, and then there was the 8th....was glad to see Gorst restore order. Gavreau had been solid until this outing.

Defense looked solid to me today.

I was worried about the tumble Connor Justice took on the top of the 7th. Weird play. Hope he's OK.

Honestly, we still don't know yet about this team. Virginia Tech looked awful to me, but they did somehow win one game against Miami, so hard to say. Heck, FSU dropped one to Pitt today, which shocked me. Last weekend was just so bad, it's going to take me a while to recover my unbridled enthusiasm for this team. I'm just glad the players are more resilient than me! LOL

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
PS- anyone hear anything on how English is coming along as a pitcher? I knew he was supposed to start throwing in practice about 10 days ago...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm hoping that Hall pulled Hughes since he wants other players to get some experience and doesn't need to ride pitchers as long. Getting pulled at the end of an inning could be lots of things; during an inning would be different. We have lots of middle reliever options; possibly too many to keep them all proficient.

We will find out this weekend a lot about GT. UNC is #1 in this RPI ....... and we are playing there. http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html Best case is that last week was a growing experience. Worst case I erased since it was overly sarcastic .........

My bridled optimism is uncontaminated by having to watch the death spiral last week. And also bridled by realizing VT was about 130th going into today's game. But we did what we had to by sweeping them.

Kennesaw State is 202nd RPI ..... and not ACC so not relevant unless we lose. (tic)