GT vs. USC in Phoenix

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
Was there yesterday. Basically I think I would have Mike shoot every time unless we have a dunk. About half of Ushers shots were forced. Colemans out of bounds on his first touch was a rookie mistake but it hurt. Thought Gigi had some good minutes in the first half, particularly on defense.

There was nothing easy for our guys. They got a lot of easy shots due to their ball movement and athleticism. They made some mistakes and are beatable but not by us.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I am putting this here, but maybe it needs its own thread.

We were 5-1 and about to face the toughest part of our schedule. Wisconsin is 9-2 and ranked. We matched up poorly against their bigs, but almost won the game. Brad Davison had a ten minute stretch where he looked like Michael Jordan, but we were otherwise the better team. We lost by 4 points to a top 25 team.

Next came UNC and their huge lineup that we are ill made up to face. They have three bigs that run the floor and rebound. They got us on the boards by +12 and shot almost 60% from the arc. It was their night. BTW, in spite of their dumpster showing against Kentucky, they are 8-3 and will likely be a top 25 team when all the dust settles. From our POV, this was an ugly game, but UNC played their best game of the season against us.

Then we lost to undefeated LSU in a game where we lead by as much as 15 points. Turnovers, poor FT shooting, and, again, a minus 12 rebounding margin, just killed us. But, LSU is good.

Yesterday we played #10 USC and the same script played out. We got badly outrebounded and they shot almost 50% from outside. And we hit five out of 19 threes.

We have to play better, but these may be the best four teams we face other than Duke. The world is not ending.
So we suck against good teams and lose to MAC Mid Majors. All is well though.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I am putting this here, but maybe it needs its own thread.

We were 5-1 and about to face the toughest part of our schedule. Wisconsin is 9-2 and ranked. We matched up poorly against their bigs, but almost won the game. Brad Davison had a ten minute stretch where he looked like Michael Jordan, but we were otherwise the better team. We lost by 4 points to a top 25 team.

Next came UNC and their huge lineup that we are ill made up to face. They have three bigs that run the floor and rebound. They got us on the boards by +12 and shot almost 60% from the arc. It was their night. BTW, in spite of their dumpster showing against Kentucky, they are 8-3 and will likely be a top 25 team when all the dust settles. From our POV, this was an ugly game, but UNC played their best game of the season against us.

Then we lost to undefeated LSU in a game where we lead by as much as 15 points. Turnovers, poor FT shooting, and, again, a minus 12 rebounding margin, just killed us. But, LSU is good.

Yesterday we played #10 USC and the same script played out. We got badly outrebounded and they shot almost 50% from outside. And we hit five out of 19 threes.

We have to play better, but these may be the best four teams we face other than Duke. The world is not ending.
I hear you and generally agree, but dropping four in a row is definitely cause for concern. We need to go on a run of our own, but I’m just not sure we are capable right now. We need to improve A LOT at the 1 and the 5 or it’s going to be a long year.

We got 17 points out of everyone else on the roster outside of Devoe and Usher on Saturday, and Devoe only scored three less than the rest of the team combined. That just isn’t going to cut it.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
No.

9 PM tonight at McCamish.

It's on Bally, so good luck trying to see it without buying a ticket.
At what point does a school like GT sue the ACC/Bally for something like this? The point of these tv deals and the only reason we care about being televised at all is advertisement. Of course we make some money in the deal and feel free to make the joke we don't want people watching us the way we are playing now but the point still stands. It's easier to watch Mercer games than it is to watch GT games and that is a problem. Being on tv is a big draw for recruits and technically Bally is kind of tv but it's the proverbial tree falling in the forest with no one around. I figured when Bally purchased Sinclair all of the problems were going to be solved because Bally just wants eyes on the game so people will bet.

I no longer live in the southeast and it's amazing how many 30-40 something year old people I meet who are Braves fans because of TBS (even before the WS win this year). Just being around is a big deal and Bally is effectively killing the brand more than our play ever could.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
At what point does a school like GT sue the ACC/Bally for something like this? The point of these tv deals and the only reason we care about being televised at all is advertisement. Of course we make some money in the deal and feel free to make the joke we don't want people watching us the way we are playing now but the point still stands. It's easier to watch Mercer games than it is to watch GT games and that is a problem. Being on tv is a big draw for recruits and technically Bally is kind of tv but it's the proverbial tree falling in the forest with no one around. I figured when Bally purchased Sinclair all of the problems were going to be solved because Bally just wants eyes on the game so people will bet.

I no longer live in the southeast and it's amazing how many 30-40 something year old people I meet who are Braves fans because of TBS (even before the WS win this year). Just being around is a big deal and Bally is effectively killing the brand more than our play ever could.
This will preach.