Article GT vs UCF Postgame Thread

• Highlight

Shorthanded Jackets Fall Short In Home Opener

Jahmyr Gibbs (21) runs for a touchdown (Hyosub Shin / ajc.com)

Atlanta, GA – Down six starters and depth at key positions, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (1-1, 1-0) faded late Saturday night in their first home tilt of the 2020 season.  The Central Florida Knights (1-0, 0-0), a respected top 25 program over the last few years, emerged victorious by a final score of 49-21.

The Jackets entered the game with gaps and question marks across its Above The Line (ATL) depth chart when compared to preseason expectations.  Absent from the offense today were starters RB Jordan Mason and TE Dylan Deveney.  Another TE, Dylan Leonard, was a scratch.

The damage done to the defense made matters worse.  Tech’s defensive line was missing starters DE Antonneous Clayton, DT TK Chimedza and DL Antwan Owens along with key rotational player DE Curtis Ryans, a key cog in the Jackets’ week 1 win against Florida State.  Tech’s top CB Tre Swilling also missed his second consecutive game.

“We had to get creative in practice this week… minimal 12 personnel on offense and three down linemen on defense,” said Head Coach Geoff Collins in his postgame interview with radioman Wiley Ballard.

Let’s be clear.  Neither Collins nor the players claimed moral victories.  Save those for today’s victor who is wont for fabricated titles and hardware.

For Tech the mantra is next man up.  The team fought valiantly, showing signs of life into the 4th quarter against an opponent that most outside of the Georgia Tech program expected to roll easily today.  A 33-yard touchdown run by true freshman RB Jahmyr Gibbs narrowed the Knights’ lead to 28-21 with 13:12 remaining in the game.  The home crowd was energized as was the home team.

But football games are won on the line of scrimmage, and Tech began with one hand tied behind its back on the defensive front.  Evidence of wear and tear to that unit showed itself late as the Knights’ vaunted offense reasserted itself in the 4th quarter, scoring three consecutive touchdowns immediately after Gibbs’ jaunt without much resistance.  Tech’s offense sputtered in response, and the final chapter of the story was written.

Despite the absence of key players, the Jackets had plenty of opportunities within their control to affect the outcome of the game.  Turnovers and special teams often determine college football games and today was no different.

Following an impressive first game despite a few mistakes, QB Jeff Sims led a Tech offense today that coughed up the ball five times.  Of the Jackets five turnovers, two came thru the air and three came via the ground game.

Special teams was a mixed bag.  Rarely is “mixed bag” a positive, however after the debacle in Tallahassee that descriptor is an improvement.  The Jackets must resolve its field goal issues to become a threat in the ACC this year and in the future.  See 2014.  Otherwise, “mixed bag” will lead to a new definition for “scoring range”.

There were certainly signs of light.  Jahmyr Gibbs lived up to his billing, ripping off a 75 yard kickoff return on his first collegiate touch.  Gibbs finished with 219 all purpose yards and two touchdowns. 

Tech’s offense has now shown a pattern of improvement as compared to last year.  Sims led the offense to 471 yards of total offense.  Nine different receivers caught balls for 244 yards thru the air, demonstrating a balance and proficiency without needing to rely on one or two playmakers.  To that end, noticeably absent despite the team success were WR Ahmarean Brown and WR Jalen Camp, each of which tallied a single reception for 11 yards.

The Jackets managed 12 chunk plays, defined as passing plays of 15+ yards and running plays of 10+ yards.  The distribution was an even 6 and 6, respectively.  Overall the offense produced 5.8 yards per play and converted 7 of 15 third downs.

Last but certainly not least, punter Pressley Harvin remained an “absolute unit”, averaging 51.2 yards per punt.  Of his four punts, three ended up inside the 20, with one boom ball traveling 70 yards.

Ultimately it was feast or famine on offense.  Combined with a shorthanded defense forced to play 92 plays, the flood gates opened late for Tech’s foe.  Next week brings Tech back into ACC play with a road trip to Syracuse and an opportunity to go 2-0 in ACC play.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Didn't read all 17 pages, so I may touch on some things already covered:

THE GOOD

1. Charlie Thomas....what a heck of a game. 2 sacks and 3TFLs! I'll take a game like that every game from any of our guys.
2. Welcome to college football, Jahmyr Gibbs! Following up a good true freshmen performance by Jeff Sims, Gibbs just gave us a look at what the next 3 years (yeah, barring injury, he's going to the NFL) will be like for GT fans. Sims and Gibbs and our young 4 star WRs will be fun to watch.
3. Don't overlook Jamious Griffin and Dontae Smith. Both guys are also playing well. Our RBs are really good in the running and passing game. We all thought this group was deep...but the early signs are they may be even better than we thought. Oh, and we were missing an NFL caliber RB this game. Great job by the RBs putting in work, and Tashard Choice.
4. WRs again all had a collective good game. Nine different players had a catch (6 WRs, 2 RBs, 1 TE). Still weird to see that.

THE BAD

1. Our DB play was VERY disappointing. That's supposed to be the strength of our defense, and maybe even our team. Our best recruiting has come from the secondary. CGC constantly talks about how he personally helps coach this group. Well, UCF had guys running free all over our defensive backfield. Poor fundamental play and technique. Just ugly overall play by our secondary....Almost 3 UCF WRs went over 100 yards. Seemed like our secondary was a step or two behind UCF WRs all night.
2. Jeff Sims looked good the first game, but now that teams have film of him, they will game plan around him. Already UCF game planned to take away his reads. First game he threw two interceptions we dismissed it because it was his first start, but he followed up his first start with another 2 interceptions and an untimely fumble inside the redzone. He's a true freshmen, so you don't want to judge him too hard, but you also want to see some progression from one game to the next. His ceiling is so high....and he's gonna have a lot of ups and downs.

I keep seeing some of you saying UCF isn't that good. No, UCF is a good team. UCF has been a good team for a while now. They were what Boise State was back in the early 2000's, but they probably recruit better overall. They would probably finish in the top 3-4 in the ACC. Dillon Gabriel is the real deal. His game is combination of Drew Brees/Russell Wilson. Gun Slinger with the ability to hurt you with his legs...but he's such a cerebral QB. He's gonna play on Sundays. I promise you, our coaches didn't take UCF as lightly as some of you guys did. My disappointment is UCF didn't play a game before us, and we got to play FSU...but UCF played a lot cleaner and looked more explosive than us.

Syracuse is next and they are a winnable game. We need to clean up a LOT, but put this one in the wash and move on.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... Piped music WAY too loud (maybe I'm that old, but when you can't hear the person next to you when you are screaming at them, it's too loud! Nice paint and stuff, but lots of navy replaced the gold. it is more legible, I'll give you that.

They could have lowered the decibel level by 10 and it'd still be plenty loud. When my 25 year old son complained about the music volume I KNEW it ws too loud. I thought maybe it was just me.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not complaining, he’s a good solid RB that’s clearly a Freshman. The comparisons are to all-time elite GT RBs. Not sure he had that kind of Wow game but it’s your opinion and you may very well be correct. I hope you are because that means we’re going to win a lot of games riding on his back alone.
Nor should you. I watch ELI, Lavette , Bell, Choice and Dwyer in their first games. None had a coming out party impacting 3 areas (passing, running and returns) like this guy. A sign of a great back is when you pick up the stat sheet thinking someone impacted the game with 110 yards and then seeing it was 220.
I really like the comparison to Reggie Bush as this kid seems to have better (softer hands) than any of the backs I listed.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Nor should you. I watch ELI, Lavette , Bell, Choice and Dwyer in their first games. None had a coming out party impacting 3 areas (passing, running and returns) like this guy. A sign of a great back is when you pick up the stat sheet thinking someone impacted the game with 110 yards and then seeing it was 220.
I really like the comparison to Reggie Bush as this kid seems to have better (softer hands) than any of the backs I listed.
The point was failing to annoint Gibbs as one of GT’s elite backs somehow makes you a complainer. We’re so sensitive here now about every perceived slight & it’s amazing to me watching a decade of incessant bashing of players and coaches that somehow any less than over the top type comment is met with pushback.

Hype to your heart’s content, it doesn’t make him a different player.

slugboy

Staff member
David Curry was a player of the week? LOL.
I do remember Falcons fans griping and booing about Keith Brooking for years, because he was making a ton of tackles downfield instead of in the backfield. He seemed like he was making half the tackles on the team, though.

I went and pulled up the NCAA stats at https://www.ncaa.com/game/4060553. Curry had 7 solo tackles and 8 total, with none for a loss. He led the linebackers and front 7 in that category. Quez Jackson had 9 total and Avery Showell had 8. Showell had the most solo tackles—all 8 of his were solo. Having a bunch of tackles in the secondary means that the other team is making a ton of catches or the runners are getting past the line of scrimmage, though.

Sylvain Yondjouen, Charlie Thomas, Demetrius Knight, Chico Bennett, and Djimon Brooks all had tackles for loss; Thomas had the most at 3. Knight had a forced fumble and Showell recovered it. Juanyeh Thomas has our one interception.

The stats don’t come close to telling the entire story here.

If it were giving the award on guts and battling it out, I’d be tempted to say Djimon Brooks as my pick for DPOtW. Having to play short handed on DL with that HUNH offense had to play havoc on the DL (the backs too, but I think I’d be ready to throw up after playing all out and non-stop 3 on 5 the way the DL did). Charlie Thomas got the shiny stats with 2 sacks and 3 TFL and also seems like a good choice. Knight also played really well.

Deleted member 2897

I do remember Falcons fans griping and booing about Keith Brooking for years, because he was making a ton of tackles downfield instead of in the backfield. He seemed like he was making half the tackles on the team, though.

I went and pulled up the NCAA stats at https://www.ncaa.com/game/4060553. Curry had 7 solo tackles and 8 total, with none for a loss. He led the linebackers and front 7 in that category. Quez Jackson had 9 total and Avery Showell had 8. Showell had the most solo tackles—all 8 of his were solo. Having a bunch of tackles in the secondary means that the other team is making a ton of catches or the runners are getting past the line of scrimmage, though.

Sylvain Yondjouen, Charlie Thomas, Demetrius Knight, Chico Bennett, and Djimon Brooks all had tackles for loss; Thomas had the most at 3. Knight had a forced fumble and Showell recovered it. Juanyeh Thomas has our one interception.

The stats don’t come close to telling the entire story here.

If it were giving the award on guts and battling it out, I’d be tempted to say Djimon Brooks as my pick for DPOtW. Having to play short handed on DL with that HUNH offense had to play havoc on the DL (the backs too, but I think I’d be ready to throw up after playing all out and non-stop 3 on 5 the way the DL did). Charlie Thomas got the shiny stats with 2 sacks and 3 TFL and also seems like a good choice. Knight also played really well.

It felt like in every consequential play that came through between the hashes, he was out of position and left behind. I know that’s not fair, but he didn’t appear to produce or instigate much of anything.

slugboy

Staff member
In the week before the game, I wondered what the impact would be of UCF's 285 pound DTs. I think they'd get hammered against Minnesota, Wisconsin, Clemson, Alabama, and teams that can walk out with a huge offensive line and lean really hard on you for four yards. In a fast-paced game, they lost their energy in the third quarter, but they came back in the fourth, and were disruptive. That's something for us to think about.

GT_EE78

Banned
David Curry was a player of the week? LOL.
were you able to tell who called him the potw?? i saw no organization name so it just appeared to me that it was someone with a twitter account ....
we got beat by 28 by a non-P5 ,why would anyone be getting national honors here?

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
The point was failing to annoint Gibbs as one of GT’s elite backs somehow makes you a complainer. We’re so sensitive here now about every perceived slight & it’s amazing to me watching a decade of incessant bashing of players and coaches that somehow any less than over the top type comment is met with pushback.

Hype to your heart’s content, it doesn’t make him a different player.

Your initial review of a 219 all purpose yards including 2 TDs performance (one rushing and one receiving) in his first game boiled down to “He’s not bad.” (Here’s the actual quote from you: “Gibbs- I’m really not understanding the over the top hype. He was used well out of backfield for some good passing gains, he’s got above average speed in open field but running between the tackles is not there yet. He may develop but he’s not Dwyer and it’s hard to see him getting there in my opinion. A memorable back he’ll likely be if he can remain injury free.”). To some people that IS complaining. Having read your posts for a while now I wouldn’t call it complaining about Gibbs but i would say you underplayed what the young man actually did to complain about folks who might sound like they want to hand him the Heisman right now. So; not complaining about Gibbs but yes complaining about those who you feel went over the top in their praise. And I don’t mean that as an insult to you. Just an observation of why people feel you were complaining.

On the specific comparison you made; Gibbs doesn’t remind me of Jonathan Dwyer when I see him run. And i should say you won’t find bigger fans of Jonathan’s than me and my family. Well maybe his own family. We became fans of his in HS because he went to where both my kids were going to go. And I believe Jonathan is one of the absolute best backs to play here. But something about Gibbs does remind me of Jonathan and that’s that he is electric with the ball. You expect that something can happen on any play he touches it. To me that’s where those two are similar. I don’t know if Gibbs is going to end up being one of the Tech greats. But it wouldn’t surprise me if he does. And I’m going to heartily enjoy watching him hoping he does achieve that and I’m going to be pleased and impressed any time he gives me over 200 all purpose yards and multiple TDs and not spend any time trying to establish what he’s NOT.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
In the week before the game, I wondered what the impact would be of UCF's 285 pound DTs. I think they'd get hammered against Minnesota, Wisconsin, Clemson, Alabama, and teams that can walk out with a huge offensive line and lean really hard on you for four yards. In a fast-paced game, they lost their energy in the third quarter, but they came back in the fourth, and were disruptive. That's something for us to think about.
I think if we could have taken a lead and gone run heavy we could have wore them out in the 4th, the score didnt really let us go with that gameplan.

MostDefinitely

Georgia Tech Fan
were you able to tell who called him the potw?? i saw no organization name so it just appeared to me that it was someone with a twitter account ....
we got beat by 28 by a non-P5 ,why would anyone be getting national honors here?

It's one of the accounts run by us, i.e. the GT football program. So it seems to the the coaching staff's picks for players of the week. It looks like a new thing for this season, I don't remember them doing that publicly last year.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Read this from Daniel Shirley at the Athletic. He covers Tech, but by no means a homer. I think it's a really good perspective:

"The game got out of control for the Yellow Jackets in the fourth quarter, but when Jahmyr Gibbs had the first rushing touchdown of his Yellow Jackets career, the UCF lead was only seven points (28-21) with about 13 minutes to play. The game was competitive, and even with a 28-point loss, that’s a big step forward for this program in Geoff Collins’ second season as coach."​

Tech was in it for ~47 minutes against a really strong program, even with all our own self-inflicted wounds. The final score doesn't tell the story.

We need experience, depth and polish, but the potential on this roster for the future is huge.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
We need experience, depth and polish, but the potential on this roster for the future is huge.

We do need all those things, but we also need upgrades along the front on D. We've been making up for it partly by keeping players fresh with substitutions, but UCF's scheme neutralizes that and it was a bad matchup for our current state.