GT vs UCF - Gasparilla Bowl (was GT vs Troy - Birmingham Bowl)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yes, we only had four defensive coaches, and two got moved to off the field roles.

He did. I guess we’ll let Gibson and Moore play?
Or, nobody cares about the depth chart?

May be a case of a player and coach mutually agreeing that them leaving is best for both sides, but the coach wanting to reward the player with a bowl trip/experience for contributing to the season. GT will be done with the bowl game before next semester starts for schools, so the player doesn't miss anything at the new school.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
"The Jackets go into Friday needing 26 points to become the first Tech team since 2018 to reach the 400-point plateau.
... Faulkner’s forces also needs just 166 yards of offense (currently with 5,149) to finish the season with the most offensive yards since the 2014 team racked up 6,671 – and that team played 14 games."

"The Knights have one of the nation’s worst rushing defenses in allowing 186.8 yards per game, have given up 262 first downs and have only recorded 15 takeaways. However, UCF had the Big 12′s best passing defense (205.8 yards per game allowed) and only surrendered 14.67 yards per completion, a mark that ranked 10th nationally."

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
"The Jackets go into Friday needing 26 points to become the first Tech team since 2018 to reach the 400-point plateau.
... Faulkner’s forces also needs just 166 yards of offense (currently with 5,149) to finish the season with the most offensive yards since the 2014 team racked up 6,671 – and that team played 14 games."

"The Knights have one of the nation’s worst rushing defenses in allowing 186.8 yards per game, have given up 262 first downs and have only recorded 15 takeaways. However, UCF had the Big 12′s best passing defense (205.8 yards per game allowed) and only surrendered 14.67 yards per completion, a mark that ranked 10th nationally."

Of course they had a good pass defense because their run defense was so bad nobody really had to pass the ball.

scotts

Jolly Good Fellow
We are 5.5 point underdogs in this game. Do you think that’s since it’s basically a home game for them is impacting the spread? I’m surprised the spread isn’t closer.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We are 5.5 point underdogs in this game. Do you think that’s since it’s basically a home game for them is impacting the spread? I’m surprised the spread isn’t closer.
That’s probably part of it. They’ve also had a good bit of success against us lately, so that could be influencing the spread. Frankly, Gus Malzahn is a darn good coach, and UCF has been pretty consistently good lately, so I feel like this game will be a tough one. Given our record when we have extra time under Key, I’d rather play a tough opponent.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyplace with other Tech fans recommended to watch the game over dinner in Atlanta? Would prefer up in Sandy Springs/Buckhead area since making it down to Cypress Street is a tad far...

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
They have better players but its close enough to be about a touchdown difference. If Tech plays like they did against UGA, they will win but I don't think we can stop UCF so my prediction is UCF by a touchdown. Could go either way.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
That’s probably part of it. They’ve also had a good bit of success against us lately, so that could be influencing the spread. Frankly, Gus Malzahn is a darn good coach, and UCF has been pretty consistently good lately, so I feel like this game will be a tough one. Given our record when we have extra time under Key, I’d rather play a tough opponent.
For the life of me, I do not understand Auburn getting rid of him. He was the best coach they have had in a long time, although Hugh is an offensive genius as well. Getting off the "Gus Bus" was one of the worst decisions made by an athletic director since, well, hiring Geoff Collins.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
For the life of me, I do not understand Auburn getting rid of him. He was the best coach they have had in a long time, although Hugh is an offensive genius as well. Getting off the "Gus Bus" was one of the worst decisions made by an athletic director since, well, hiring Geoff Collins.
I am more surprised another school hasn’t hired Gus away. I think UF would be smart to hire him if Billy Napier has another down year, which with their second half end of schedule, seems to be a given.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I couldn't read the article which may answer my question. I looked at the depth chart for the game. The only coach in the booth is Buster Faulkner. Marco Coleman and Kevin Sherrer have the tackles, ends, and linebackers covered on the side line. Are the safeties and corners going to self manage substitutions? (sarcasm alert) I am guessing a grad assistance will do it..

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I couldn't read the article which may answer my question. I looked at the depth chart for the game. The only coach in the booth is Buster Faulkner. Marco Coleman and Kevin Sherrer have the tackles, ends, and linebackers covered on the side line. Are the safeties and corners going to self manage substitutions? (sarcasm alert) I am guessing a grad assistance will do it..
Key already said the special teams coach and two GAs are coaching the DBs.