GT vs UCF - Gasparilla Bowl (was GT vs Troy - Birmingham Bowl)

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Is this a move up or down the pecking ladder for Tech?
Down from Birmingham. Boca is the bottom, Gasparilla next, B'ham rounds out the Tier 2's, then it's Fenway, Military, Pinstripe, Sun, Mayo, Gator, Pop Tarts, Holiday, and at the top is Orange.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Maybe on the list, but GT and UCF are better teams than the two in the Birmingham Bowl. It's a move up. That list doesn't mean much.
Yes, it's a better game for us as should have been obvious going from playing Troy to UCF. I took the question as where is this on the bowl pecking order and by the ACC's payout list it's next to the bottom. It is in Tampa vs B'ham, now that one's iffy. You Atlanta folks would probably have preferred the short drive over. Those of us down here like the prospect of a GT game 0-4 hrs away depending on where you live except for those that live in Tallahassee, Panama City or Penacola. It's a bit of a haul from there.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it's a better game for us as should have been obvious going from playing Troy to UCF. I took the question as where is this on the bowl pecking order and by the ACC's payout list it's next to the bottom. It is in Tampa vs B'ham, now that one's iffy. You Atlanta folks would probably have preferred the short drive over. Those of us down here like the prospect of a GT game 0-4 hrs away depending on where you live except for those that live in Tallahassee, Panama City or Penacola. It's a bit of a haul from there.
The distance matters, but the payout difference doesn't affect Tech at all, since all proceeds after travel expenses are paid go to the ACC to be split evenly as I understand it.
That pecking order thing means almost nothing.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I saw Big Rabbit's sister leaving early for Tampa.
Somebody check on the guy.....

Big Brother Sisters GIF by MOODMAN
Actually she’s a wahoo, getting early start toward Atlanta for our game with them on January 20. I was making a wisecrack about seeing the cavalier falling off his horse on YT, so she plowed me - but I’m ok, thanks.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Down from Birmingham. Boca is the bottom, Gasparilla next, B'ham rounds out the Tier 2's, then it's Fenway, Military, Pinstripe, Sun, Mayo, Gator, Pop Tarts, Holiday, and at the top is Orange.
Other than the Orange and Gator, the Gasparilla (Tampa) and Boca (Boca Raton), and Birmingham Bowls are much closer and more desirable locations for a bowl game. Actually, the Music City Bowl is not bad, but Nashvegas in winter isn't a great place. The Dookie Bowl doesn't count as it is the TRM desperation outlet, it seems. When one of the tri-cities teams is on the brink of a crappy location the Dookie Bowl steps in with an offer.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Tampa is a nice destination for our players. Really happy for them. Better than a road trip to Birmingham. Hope they get some warm weather and good Cuban food.

My wife and I honeymooned down that way over Thanksgiving, many years ago. It's really lovely down there this time of year. Wish we could make the trip this year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
For what it's worth UCF would open around +2, +2.5 vs Troy. I do not think they're the better team, and I don't think any power rankings have them remotely close.
Maybe, but UCF played Oklahoma to a 2-point game and beat Oklahoma State by six touchdowns.
I do see your point and I'm not putting Troy down - they're a strong opponent. But UCF is Big-12 and thus has more cachet in the world of college football.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
UCF -6.5 first line

Kind of what I expected. Malzaun is a creative offensive coach, and he will know our weaknesses. We will have to score 35-40 most likely to beat them.

With that said, you never know which players might opt out of the game, and that goes for UCF as well. If they have any pro prospects, they might sit out.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
In games between two relatively even teams, it typically comes down to:
1) Player availability
2) Turnovers
3) Special teams

Our season largely proves this out.

Special consideration for 'motivation' in bowl games, but in this instance I think it's a wash.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
UCF -6.5 first line

Kind of what I expected. Malzaun is a creative offensive coach, and he will know our weaknesses. We will have to score 35-40 most likely to beat them.

With that said, you never know which players might opt out of the game, and that goes for UCF as well. If they have any pro prospects, they might sit out.
UCF has a really good offense (top 15) but a D that's as bad as ours. Should be a shootout.