GT vs UCF - Gasparilla Bowl (was GT vs Troy - Birmingham Bowl)

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
There will be plenty of time for indignation about the site and opponent when we have a score to back it up. Aside from our own hot/cold inconsistency, bowl games are a different animal from regular season.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Kind of like we did BG, get a grip. GT’s defense does not destroy any team including SCST.
Don't need to get a grip, I'm holding on just fine, thank you. I agree our defense didn't destroy anyone, including the FCS team we played. My comment was about playing a G5 schedule. I think our boys would have fared much better. I think playing 10 G5 teams or 9 G5 teams and FCS team, our defense might have looked a bit better (like a lot better). Just my opinion.

As you said, it's more about talent; I agree. I think our defense, although pathetic at the P5 level, is still better than most G5 teams. This isn't basketball. The parity isn't there yet.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't that the All American Bowl, back in '85? We won if I recall correctly. To lazy to look it up.
You might be right, think that was it. I’m too old to remember clearly but I do vividly remember it was f’ing cold and there wasn’t enough bourbon to warm us up.

Dobeedobeedo

Georgia Tech Fan
I hope the team is more excited and will win. I’d bet Troy would love to bag GT. Too bad we did not get a better destination as the 4th best ACC team. Go Jackets!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Don't need to get a grip, I'm holding on just fine, thank you. I agree our defense didn't destroy anyone, including the FCS team we played. My comment was about playing a G5 schedule. I think our boys would have fared much better. I think playing 10 G5 teams or 9 G5 teams and FCS team, our defense might have looked a bit better (like a lot better). Just my opinion.
It looked bad against the G5 and FCS teams we played so sure the fairy godmother would sprinkle the defense with talent.

We already have 2 defenders out due to the portal on one of the worst FBS defenses. And G5 teams are FBS teams.

This has zero to do with focus from our team. It is 100% about Macy of defensive talent.

I have no clue what Troy has but I do know what our defense has, very little.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I hope the team is more excited and will win. I’d bet Troy would love to bag GT. Too bad we did not get a better destination as the 4th best ACC team. Go Jackets!
Lol on 4th best ACC team. We are in the second tier pack with about 6 other teams. VT could claim to be the 4th best ACC team, they like us are in the blob.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Troy will be sky high to beat us. Hope our team can get up for this. Otherwise it could be a long game. Seriously, I hope Tech players can get more excited about this than the average fan.

slugboy

Staff member
There were two southern destinations in reach for us—Birmingham and Gasparilla. Duke is going to Gasparilla.

(I think VT is getting the Mayo bowl, but nothing is announced yet)

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Troy will be sky high to beat us. Hope our team can get up for this. Otherwise it could be a long game. Seriously, I hope Tech players can get more excited about this than the average fan.
If our team isn’t up for this Bowl Game it speaks badly of the coaches and players. Only Smith and J King have been to a Bowl and they didn’t play in it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
There were two southern destinations in reach for us—Birmingham and Gasparilla. Duke is going to Gasparilla.

(I think VT is getting the Mayo bowl, but nothing is announced yet)
I haven't seen anything officially announced yet, including GT to Birmingham. KQ posted on Twitter that Key was supposed to have had a press conference at 5:00, but it was delayed because the ACC bowls still haven't all been worked out.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I haven't seen anything officially announced yet, including GT to Birmingham. KQ posted on Twitter that Key was supposed to have had a press conference at 5:00, but it was delayed because the ACC bowls still haven't all been worked out.
Just checked on ESPN, they still haven't listed the bowl we are playing in. Doesn't look 100% official yet

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Looking Episode 11 GIF by One Chicago

Arnold Schwarzenegger Reaction GIF

slugboy

Staff member

Just posted this in another thread

It looks like a mess. From what I can tell, GT and Duke aren’t being fought over, so we’re getting one of the bottom two bowls.

Aside from CLT, they’re the closest for us, though.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just posted this in another thread

It looks like a mess. From what I can tell, GT and Duke aren’t being fought over, so we’re getting one of the bottom two bowls.

Aside from CLT, they’re the closest for us, though.

Weird. I can see UNC but what's the fuss over Liami and VaPoly?