GT vs Pitt

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Pickett has been awesome for Pitt. They can really put points on the board. It will be a tough match up.

Pitt has been one of the most frustrating games as a tech fan. Between the officiating last year, the game winning field goals from them, etc.... its like we used all of our good luck vs. them in that wild first half in 2014 where we had like 4 turnovers
I don’t know who the better qb is Pickett or Howell but I’m feeling better about slowing down Pickett after last night.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Picket is Howell lite. They don’t have anything close to the talent Clemson or UNC have. They play sound D but nothing about them is scary. We bring the energy of the last two weeks and we win by 2 tds.
Everyone was saying UNC was a must win, I think this game is! If we can follow up two solid performances and a blowout W vs a ranked UNC with a W over Pitt, then I think this team goes on a run!
He doesn’t have the wheels that Howell does, if we can get pressure our boys can put a serious hurtin’ on him

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
If our players think our team is good now we will lose for sure. If they stay hungry for improvement and prepare like the way they have the last two games we win.

That simple IMO. NIU we thought we were good and got our arse handed to us.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
If our players think our team is good now we will lose for sure. If they stay hungry for improvement and prepare like the way they have the last two games we win.

We were hungry for sure after the Clemson game. The team can't get comfortable , we have to keep that momentum next weekend. We beat Pitt and I'll feel that we really have something going. Pitt has been a major thorn in our side for a few years now

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
We were hungry for sure after the Clemson game. The team can't get comfortable , we have to keep that momentum next weekend. We beat Pitt and I'll feel that we really have something going. Pitt has been a major thorn in our side for a few years now

that's all sort of the maturation of a team, in learning how to win, isn't it.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I’d we had one this game in a way like UNC gave it to us or we got lucky I’d feel uneasy with Pitt but there was nothing about last night’s performance that says any of that. We physically beat their *** on D. I’m surprised Howell made it through the entire game. He was getting his *** kicked. We dominated the entire game after the 1st qtr! Simple as that. I think we saw maturity with the team and staff when UNC hit that quick TD to cut it to 14 or 10. Previous teams would’ve probably folded and found a way to lose. This group responded every time and didn’t look like we were playing “not to lose”. That was a biG Time beat down last night!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

But we didn’t. We lost because we missed 2 fg and didn’t put the ball in the endzone when we should have. We beat the hell out of NIU in every category but the scoreboard. Obviously that’s the most important one (only one that matters in the end) but we certainly didn’t have our asses handed to us.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Last year Pitt opened as a 6.5 point favorite. Think this one could really go either way. I think Vegas likes Pitt just a little more than us. Will be interesting to see the line and movement.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Don’t sleep on Pickett. Not as talented as Howell but a wiley veteran that seemed to escape trouble all the time in our game last year, or just get the pass off.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Will Narduzzi stop Sims running and the rest of our run game and force Sims to pass? Maybe he gives us the run game up the middle, again forcing Sims to pass at key places.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Narduzzi is a good coach. He will stack the box and make Sims try and win thru the air. That’s what we will face the rest of the season. That now begs the question - can our WR’s get separation to give Sims wide windows? Last year announcers were making comments about our WR’s giving up on plays. I like our WR group way more than last years. These young WR’s were all studs in high school and want to make plays. I love our WR’s moving forward into next year. Rutherford, Haynes, Norris, Blackburn, McCollum, Harris, and Blackstrain are a good group. Add Gibbs and Smith out of the backfield. I’d sit our TE’s in favor of these guys.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Picket is Howell lite. They don’t have anything close to the talent Clemson or UNC have. They play sound D but nothing about them is scary. We bring the energy of the last two weeks and we win by 2 tds.
Everyone was saying UNC was a must win, I think this game is! If we can follow up two solid performances and a blowout W vs a ranked UNC with a W over Pitt, then I think this team goes on a run!
Precisely the point the forum College Football News was making in their preseason projection for Tech. They figured that at this point Tech would be 2-2 and so we are but with the twist of losing to Northern Illinois and beating #21 UNC. For both Pitt and Tech, this is shaping up to be a pivotal point in the season. The key in my mind is whether Tech can climb the emotional heights once again. Pitt has the advantage of having the cupcake the week before. Will it matter? Should it matter? Beats me. The coaching feud will just add spice.

slugboy

Staff member
Narduzzi is a good coach. He will stack the box and make Sims try and win thru the air. That’s what we will face the rest of the season. That now begs the question - can our WR’s get separation to give Sims wide windows? Last year announcers were making comments about our WR’s giving up on plays. I like our WR group way more than last years. These young WR’s were all studs in high school and want to make plays. I love our WR’s moving forward into next year. Rutherford, Haynes, Norris, Blackburn, McCollum, Harris, and Blackstrain are a good group. Add Gibbs and Smith out of the backfield. I’d sit our TE’s in favor of these guys.
First, after two games in a row against top teams, with a lot of emotion, I can see us have a let down and stumble in this game. I can also see Narduzzi put together a great game plan and have his players gigged up after being "dissed" at the end of last year's game. I can see Pitt win outright--they're favored, and games are also about matchups and maybe they match up well against us. Both coaches and teams can take offense at last year's game, so either or both teams can come in motivated.

I don't think stacking the box is going to happen. UNC could have put in a goalline package throughout the second half (the ultimate in box-stacking). It's not that simple. I'm sure Carter would like a nice bubble screen and one man to beat.

Also, when Sims made his 50ish yard TD run, there were players in the secondary with an angle, and he turned on the jets and left them behind. Gibbs and Sims and some of our receivers can do that too. Pitt might put a spy on Sims, but that takes one player out of the pass rush or puts them in weak pass coverage. When you spy a player faster than you, you better have great angles or you just look silly.

I see a decent amount of Pitt blitzing, and attacking our guards, and shifts and overloads and other ways to confuse our line. That's our weak point, and that's what I'd attack.

That's also a reason to keep a TE or H-back available--we need another blocker or half-blocker. I'd look for Patenaude to have some fun with formations, and maybe play with tempo--not all fast, but where we set the pace fast or slow, depending on what we want.

I'm not sure what Narduzzi's going to do on offense--we looked pretty solid in the last two games, and I'd think we're going to look for more ways to bring mayhem.