GT vs. Northwestern Preview Thread

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
was it just me or did the crowd look .... meh? lots of empty seats.
Unfortunately the crowd was very disappointing. Not a lot of people and not a lot of noise until the last minute. As usual the opposing fan base makes a meaningful presence. It’s like being at a hawks game.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately the crowd was very disappointing. Not a lot of people and not a lot of noise until the last minute. As usual the opposing fan base makes a meaningful presence. It’s like being at a hawks game.
I concur. Disappointed that more GT fannies weren't in the seats. This team is fun to watch and pretty doggone good.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

There was a point in tv when the PA guy said “Let’s go Tech”

*nothing*

“LOUDER”

*mumbles*
:oops:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think some fans are just now seeing the possibility that this could be a fun season. The preseason news was kinda discouraging. I can see it changing in the way my non-GT friends here in NC talked about the game this morning at our local breakfast group. Not one of them expected us to win.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think some fans are just now seeing the possibility that this could be a fun season. The preseason news was kinda discouraging. I can see it changing in the way my non-GT friends here in NC talked about the game this morning at our local breakfast group. Not one of them expected us to win.

We need to get to a point where 60% of our fan base aren’t fair weather fans. I know the BG era sucked but 1.25 seasons into the Pastner regime, the word should be out that his teams play hard, compete and more importantly, Win.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We need to get to a point where 60% of our fan base aren’t fair weather fans. I know the BG era sucked but 1.25 seasons into the Pastner regime, the word should be out that his teams play hard, compete and more importantly, Win.
I think the BG teams played hard. I never faulted their desire to win or their efforts to find a way. The talent differential and coaching expertise gap were too great to overcome.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think the BG teams played hard. I never faulted their desire to win or their efforts to find a way. The talent differential and coaching expertise gap were too great to overcome.

Yeah I agree with that I guess, you can never say MGH didn’t go balls out all the time. But to watch a team run a garbage offense and typically lose is a lot harder than watching them win. Pastner is now 20-4 inside McCamish I believe. The fans should be there.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

IMO an issue with how we play now in terms of drawing crowds is that the style isn't the most attractive to drawing crowds against just anybody. Against ACC teams and UGA it doesn't matter because of the magnitude of the games but against other OOC it does hurt imo. Of course it is the best bet for us right now and I enjoy watching that style at home where I can really take in all the details. I also expect our style to develop to be more fan friendly as we get an influx of talent.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
IMO an issue with how we play now in terms of drawing crowds is that the style isn't the most attractive to drawing crowds against just anybody. Against ACC teams and UGA it doesn't matter because of the magnitude of the games but against other OOC it does hurt imo. Of course it is the best bet for us right now and I enjoy watching that style at home where I can really take in all the details. I also expect our style to develop to be more fan friendly as we get an influx of talent.
Agree on style - it's not flashy by any means. Also agree that it will change as early as Okogie's return this year. We just don't have a ton of scoring options, so we need to rely on things developing via offensive sets. Additionally, there aren't many guys that can push the ball up the floor outside of Jose, and on top of that, very few who can finish strong at the rim. This kind of forces us into our current style of play.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Students showed up well last night.
They showed up better than the non students...but they still did not fill their section. They were however, the only enthusiastic group in the building. I was very disappointed in how many people wearing GT gear around me sat on their hands the entire game. They did not rise for the Bud Song, did not jump up and cheer hardly ever.....I just don't get it personally (and I am an old fart).

I wonder....I know many of our fans hold tickets to both football and basketball, and I do wonder if the disappointment of the football season has carried over into our fan base's enthusiasm for basketball?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They showed up better than the non students...but they still did not fill their section. They were however, the only enthusiastic group in the building. I was very disappointed in how many people wearing GT gear around me sat on their hands the entire game. They did not rise for the Bud Song, did not jump up and cheer hardly ever.....I just don't get it personally (and I am an old fart).

The student section was substantially filled on a Tuesday night, exhibited plenty of enthusiasm, and led the points at which the crowd was loud. It was a good show of crowd support. There's no reason to be critical.

Also, the Bud song is corny, so I've got no problem with people sitting. I'll save getting up for when I need to scream during a defensive stop or yell at a ref.

I hate to tell people, but the fan support is undergoing a major rebuild along with the program. Accept it.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The student section was substantially filled on a Tuesday night, exhibited plenty of enthusiasm, and led the points at which the crowd was loud. It was a good show of crowd support. There's no reason to be critical.

Also, the Bud song is corny, so I've got no problem with people sitting. I'll save getting up for when I need to scream during a defensive stop or yell at a ref.

I hate to tell people, but the fan support is undergoing a major rebuild along with the program. Accept it.
Guess I cam across as critical of the students when I did not mean to be. They produced about 90% of the energy in the building last night, imho. I was being critical of the other old farts around me, and used the Bud song as one example, but there just wasn't the energy out of that group ("us") that there should have been. Just my opinion.

But I get the comment that we are rebuilding the fan base, and that *is* quite true. I stopped going during the Gregory years, I guess I have just been a quicker convert to Pastner's program than many others. But being there for the Notre Dame game last year and this game help that process along.....

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Guess I cam across as critical of the students when I did not mean to be. They produced about 90% of the energy in the building last night, imho. I was being critical of the other old farts around me, and used the Bud song as one example, but there just wasn't the energy out of that group ("us") that there should have been. Just my opinion.

But I get the comment that we are rebuilding the fan base, and that *is* quite true. I stopped going during the Gregory years, I guess I have just been a quicker convert to Pastner's program than many others. But being there for the Notre Dame game last year and this game help that process along.....

That's fair, but I think you hit a nail on the head. One of the problems we're facing in all athletics is our aging fan base. We need new energy. That'll come from the students and younger fans who realize GT hoops is the hottest ticket in Atlanta. All we have to do now is make it the hottest ticket in Atlanta.

slugboy

Staff member

I think we’ve got an exciting style on defense. We do have some exciting plays on offense, but it looks like we play in fits and starts on that side of the court; there isn’t the smooth motion I see from other teams. I’m hoping that comes as our guards get established

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Question for the board. Probably not a clear either/or but it's worth a shot.

Did you become a GT basketball fan because of GT's success during a period of time?
OR
Would you be a GT basketball fan regardless?

Reason I ask is I was predisposed to being a college b'ball fan and naturally was entrenched with GT the moment I stepped on campus. That said, at least half if not a significant majority of my friends became GT b'ball fans because of our success while on campus from '02-'07. Most of those friends still follow the team and attend games from time-to-time, and they freely admit it's because of our success and how fun it was to attend games while in school. They didn't and still hardly know s*** about basketball, but they now put butts in the seats and are loud (and in doing so often scare their own children).

If we can sustain the success and trajectory it seems we're on, I think we'll develop a nice new wave of young fans.