GT vs Kennesaw St (I-75 Battle)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Pitts to start again, will be interesting to see if our recent hitting streak continues.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/032116aaa.html

Scoring seems to me to be up this year, so maybe "Jolting' Jackets" is a reasonable moniker again.

A couple of questions for anyone who might know (or have an opinion)...
(1) I thought Carter Hall had looked good the first couple of games in CF when I saw him play vs UMBC and Auburn, but note he is out of the lineup again now. Was there some problem I missed? Did he play poorly in Tallahassee? Why is he riding the pines again?
(2) Is King done for the year?

GT_ATL

Georgia Tech Fan
Why is Pitts still getting starts? Seems like these games would be good to get younger/more promising pitchers more experience. Seems like we have enough guys to get through 9 innings.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Living here (NC), you miss out on info about players,etc..unless you have someone on the inside.

Don't know what's going on with King but Hughes is still fighting a tender forearm. Wish I could be more help. I feel as worthless as tits on a bull.

@OldJacketFan, I couldn't agree more with your post. Hope to catch some of the game this even. This is my busiest time of year and Easter weekend doesn't help. I've had to give up my tickets to the UNC series this week.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Why is Pitts still getting starts? Seems like these games would be good to get younger/more promising pitchers more experience. Seems like we have enough guys to get through 9 innings.

Agree 100%. Pitts has given up 10 earned runs in 14 innings. We should be getting younger pictures experience since it's his final year and he's not progressing.

But that's just based on what we see. He must be great in practice.

The bright side is Pitts pitching adds drama to the game.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Got out of the inning but sheesh, I agree with you guys that I would rather see some other guys get more experience.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pitts makes 2nd interesting. A double and two walks. A SO, fly out and throw out at home.

Pitts is not throwing a lot of strikes but has the luck right now. Won't last against good teams. Drives me crazy too.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looks like Hall has settled on the line up. Same one for the fourth game in a row.

36th DP of the year. Very smooth. Hopefully we knock down the number of errors.

Watching on ESPN3.

10-0 T4. Is there a mercy rule in effect?

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well, Parr throws strikes and he at least doesn't beat himself. Pits with 4 walks in addition to 4 hits in 4 innings of work. Parr can be hit, and hit hard, but at least he throws strikes. I fell better with him in the game. GT now up 10-2 in the bottom of the 6th.

By the way, how does Kel Johnson strike out against THAT pitcher? He gives up 3 walks to everyone around Kel, but he K's?. Baseball is a weird game!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
So, with King's shoulder a problem, Hughes now having forearm issues, and Zac Ryan only able to throw 3-4 innings max.....who in heck will be starting for us in Chapel Hill? Besides Gold, I mean...

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Well, Parr throws strikes and he at least doesn't beat himself. Pits with 4 walks in addition to 4 hits in 4 innings of work. Parr can be hit, and hit hard, but at least he throws strikes. I fell better with him in the game. GT now up 10-2 in the bottom of the 6th.

By the way, how does Kel Johnson strike out against THAT pitcher? He gives up 3 walks to everyone around Kel, but he K's?. Baseball is a weird game!
It is tougher to hit against a wild pitcher, than one that is always around the plate.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So, with King's shoulder a problem, Hughes now having forearm issues, and Zac Ryan only able to throw 3-4 innings max.....who in heck will be starting for us in Chapel Hill? Besides Gold, I mean...

Not Pitts. Seriously, Did WREK give any indication of how long Hughes would be out? (I lost feed.)

Ryan should start, we have plenty of mid relievers. As long as we don't defensively self destruct we should win a game or two @ UNC.

Parr good outing. And Shelton strikes out side.

GT_ATL

Georgia Tech Fan
So...does anyone have a sense of if we're actually good or not or is it still wait and see? We consistently bomb away mediocre teams but the FSU series was a disaster. Do other schools have these perpetual pitching injuries? Every year we're missing at least 1 weekend starter for the entire season, and this year it looks like everybody is dropping. Bad arm management by the coaching staff?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ask me Sunday about how good we are. We are good but not elite (top 10 - 15). Season is young and so is the team.

Pitcher situation may be bad or a minor speed bump depending on severity of injury. The situation is NOT overuse. Hall is very protective of pitchers I think.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If Hughes and King are out (even if King is back, not sure he gets thrown back in to start before making any appearances), then I think you have to stick with Ryan for Fri or Sat as tonight's outing was just like a bullpen. As for the other unknown, you have to feel decent about the way Dulaney has thrown all season as well as Gibson the last couple outings. I think we see one of them starting if Hughes can't go.

Great game tonight. We really need to be competitive at UNC and come out of there with at least 1 win.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
What I want to see in Chapel Hill us good pitching, solid defense and good fundamentals. A win would be nice, but if we lose three straight 2-1 games, that won't be a disaster. Just my opinion, of course.