GT vs. FSU, Wednesday Jan 26 at 9pm

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
From what I saw last night, we actually switched him off a good bit, at least in the second half. I remember thinking to myself that he was doing a really good job cutting off the drive when he was the primary defender on a guard. Now granted we would usually rotate pretty quickly to get him back down low, but he held his own when switched.

I love watching CJP coach when he is in the zone. I love his enthusiasm, and it is so infectious to the players. He really was in a groove last night and made a great decision to switch back to man after F$U hit a few threes in a row to cut our lead down to 5. It seemed to throw them off enough for us to get a couple of stops and then rev the zone back up to closeout the game. After Sturdy snatched that poor kid's ankles and Ush got the steal, I wanted Devoe's three to land so badly just so the roof would explode. All in all, a great game and great energy. The zone will work when you've got someone like Usher showing relentless energy on defense to disrupt anything the offense is trying to do. BIG props to him for a beautiful exhibition of basketball last night. Let's start rolling a win streak now!
Hitting that 3 (a 20-3 run) would have caused a small earthquake. I wanted that so badly also. Pastner, on the other hand, laughed at him during the timeout and pointed to the clock like “you knucklehead, run some clock first.”

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Very pleased to see not just a win, but excellent basketball on both ends of the court. We COMPETED out there last night. Props to the team and the coaching staff. Been waiting for something like that all season.

I can only hope we continue to play like that the rest of the way.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
Great game by the jackets! Not related to this game but does anybody else feel like we would play like 5 Clayton state games in a row to start each season just to get the ball rolling and avoid our slow starts every year. I know it’s not super exciting but starting off on a winning streak and seeing if the momentum will keep going seems like a reasonable strategy then throw a couple mid majors in there to start ramping up
I believe there was an OOC scheduling thread last spring/summer that proposed this exact recipe.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
question for those who are close followers...
i have not been able to watch much since the holiday break ended. last night it looked to me like deebo had a much greater comfort level on both the offensive and defensive ends. more aggressive and active on both ends. as if the game is slowing down for him. less thinking. more proactive than reactive. any truth to this? did my eyes deceive me? is this wishful thinking?

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Several times, he wouldn’t pick the ball up and hand it to the ref or inbounder.

FSU was pressing in the front court. Why would they help the offense break the press?

The defense should use the time after the ball goes through the hoop to get positioned and set up their press.

There are a lot of reasons to dislike FSU, but I have no issue with this at all.

/

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Might be a bit of syntax. I saw him what I call hedging a good bit to cut off the ball but then returning back to the big with the original defender usually picking up the ball. I think that is what you are saying. What I didn't see was him jumping the ball screen to fully switch on the guard like we did at UNC and then have the guard try to stay with the big.
You're right, I basically was repeating what you had already said. For a player like Howard, it is better for him to hedge rather than flat out switch due to his limited mobility and tendency to foul at the basket. It also helps when Moore can rotate down to cover the big while Howard recovers. Like you alluded to, Miami will be a tough test for him as they love to run a four out look with knockdown shooters. Wouldn't be a bad idea to use Ush at the 5. Excited to see how it plays out tomorrow!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
FSU was pressing in the front court. Why would they help the offense break the press?

The defense should use the time after the ball goes through the hoop to get positioned and set up their press.

There are a lot of reasons to dislike FSU, but I have no issue with this at all.

/
It is technically a Delay of Game violation for the scoring team to touch the ball after a made basket. It rarely gets called because it rarely happens, but I have seen it several times. The FSU players were doing exactly what the rules say they should do.

The 1st occurrence is a DOG warning with subsequent violations being a technical foul.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is simple, you pick the ball and give it to the ref. Just like our guys did after picking it up.

If you are pressing, you want the other team to inbound the ball so that you can trap them.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It is simple, you pick the ball and give it to the ref. Just like our guys did after picking it up.

Not to mention, if you are pressing, you want them to inbound the ball so that you can trap them.
I understand your point, but guys are coached to not touch the ball. It's not a bad rule and the refs were OK with retrieving the ball. Most of the time it's not on the court among the players setting up their defense so you don't see it. I know guys will have the ball at their feet and toss it to the ref and nothing usually happens, but that is what the rule is trying prevent. Only the inbounding team or an official can touch or pick up the ball.

There used to be an "intent" phrase in the rule and officials had to deal with "I was not trying to..." retorts from offending players. I do not think that rule exists in the current rules.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I understand your point, but guys are coached to not touch the ball. It's not a bad rule and the refs were OK with retrieving the ball. Most of the time it's not on the court among the players setting up their defense so you don't see it. I know guys will have the ball at their feet and toss it to the ref and nothing usually happens, but that is what the rule is trying prevent. Only the inbounding team or an official can touch or pick up the ball.

There used to be an "intent" phrase in the rule and officials had to deal with "I was not trying to..." retorts from offending players. I do not think that rule exists in the current rules.
Having played the game, its a **** move. It wasn't just that. Butler was talking trash the entire game.

Being close enough to the action, I could see/hear the **** FSU was talking and all of their little antics. Quite surprising because you don't normally see that from Leonard's teams.

At the end of the day, I really DGAF either way...all I am saying is that if you play like a bunch of bitches, you reap what you sow.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Having played the game, its a **** move. It wasn't just that. Butler was talking trash the entire game.

Being close enough to the action, I could see/hear the **** FSU was talking and all of their little antics. Quite surprising because you don't normally see that from Leonard's teams.

At the end of the day, I really DGAF either way...all I am saying is that if you play like a bunch of bitches, you reap what you sow.
I could not hear the talk while watching on TV, but I agree with your point. Beating FSU is always satisfying no matter the sport.