GT vs Auburn

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Per RamblinWreck.com....

>> Senior lefty Devin Stanton gets the nod Tuesday night versus Auburn, which marks his first start since March 3 versus Ohio. Stanton was 5-3 with a 2.24 ERA last year in 12 starts as he rebounded from Tommy John surgery in 2012.

Interesting. Not surprised they have not gone with Paar, who hasn't done much thusfar this year. Maybe Stanton encouraged the coaches with his effort this weekend vs UNC?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Stanton is getting a chance to work into the weekend rotation with some good mid-week starts. I couldn't figure out how Stanton has done in his last few outings, but with a 6.62 ERA this year and 14 walks versus 18 SO, he must be doing better to get the start.

Saturday he threw 32 pitches with 16 strikes and got 5 outs with 0 runs. He walked 3 and got 2 SO in the 8 batters he faced. So that doesn't sound great to me, but I didn't watch that game .... http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2014-2015/gt321151.html

Last year was his only real year of pitching for us with that 2.24 ERA in 76.1 innings.
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=devin-stanton

Let's hope he throws strikes tonight. It's no secret that pitch to contact and let the D do it's job is what the coaches (Howell and Hall) want, they both have talked about it on the WREK pre game shows. But we have to go with who we have. What I really like is that we continue to change pitchers looking for one to work out. Give the guys a chance until someone shines or we run out of season.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
What I really like is that we continue to change pitchers looking for one to work out. Give the guys a chance until someone shines or we run out of season.

Couldn't agree more.

Only thing I am mildly surprised about is that Schneiderjens has disappeared and I have no reason why. Not that he has been great, but he has been slightly more accurate than Paar or Stanton, although he gets hit harder. I dunno!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Danny Hall just said on WREK that Gorst is out too and hopefully will be back for this weekend. Also he said Ben S is out "of course". So Ben's shoulder must be causing him problems. That answers the question about why not Ben S more.

That's why we have 17+ pitchers.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Justus makes a MLB highlight play to tak away a hit.

Stanton isn't throwing strikes. With two out he walks one with one on. PULL HIM NOW!!!!!!!

Bailey makes another highlight play over second to get the third out. That would be a hit for most teams. Again, pull Stanton. 17 pitches in the first inning with only 8 strikes. I've seen enough. We have over a dozen other pitchers available!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Auburn has a damn good pitcher - 16 pitches and 12 strikes in the first. The hit Gonzo got was just past the third baseman - and Gonzo had a great steal before AJ struck out.

Hopefully we don't need 2 gold glove plays an inning to stay in this one.

Update- after 2 Stanton gets out. A lead off runner is thrown out by a poor throw (high to 1st base side) but fabulous play by Bailey. Stanton is 30-14 strikes. S0 13-6 in the second. Thank god for a great D.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
2 on and no outs for us in 2nd and third and no runs. Sucks.

Stanton still in and living on borrowed time. Walks the first batter of the fourth. Please pull Stanton, or don't we have anyone who can throw strikes?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Luck ran out for Stanton. After the walk, poor throw by Pabst didn't get steal. Then a hit scored runner from second.

B4, 0-1. But Stanton is doing better (although not good by college standards) with 56% strikes (62-35).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Justus single, Pabst double. 1-1. No outs.

Pabst has had some clutch hits this year ....... but is thrown out at home to end inning. Pabst still hitting only .220 this year.

Stanton walks lead off hitter to start 6th, what else is new. On 4 pitches. Obviously a planned play to set up the DP. (SARCASM)

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Stanton leaves with 2 on and no outs. About time Hall pulled him.

Sac to advance to 2nd & third. Intentional walk.

Then fly out to Gonzo and brilliant throw from Gonzo to cut down player at home.

D is only reason we are even close.

GT22

Georgia Tech Fan
What a play by Gonzo! Nice throw even though his momentum was not all going forward.
On a side note, I am sick of that HBO commercial on ESPN3

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
2-1 GT after Bailey beats out DP attempt with bases loaded. Speed kills.

Now up with 9 outs to go ........

6 outs to go. Did I say anything about D? How about another DP. Parr 20 pitches and 12 strikes (60%).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
D keep us in till we scratched some runs and Parr did great (36-23 strikes) and Ryan even better (11-8 strikes).

Another DP in the 8th, was that 4 or 5 DPs for the game? And an AJ 410 foot shot.

4-1. To even the series this year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
5 DPs.....
2nd SO/ throw out stealing
3rd
6th
7th
8th

That is one hell of a defense. With that many runners on and Auburn only scores 1. Plus the first out of the game by Justus was amazing.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Watching in person at the Rusty C, I have to say that Stanton looked better to me than he has all year. Still too many walks, but his breaking stuff looked nasty, and for most hitters he seemed ahead in counts more than earlier this year. I think it was an encouraging start from him.

Meanwhile, I thought Paar and Ryan were just fabulous.

Gonzo' throw turned the game for us, I thought. We stopped them ,then grabbed the lead...play of the game IMHO.

Hitting was very poor, I thought. By my unofficial count, we had runners on 3rd with one out 4 times, and failed to plate the run all four times. Very sad.

Overall, a very fun night at the Rusty C.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Watching in person at the Rusty C, I have to say that Stanton looked better to me than he has all year. Still too many walks, but his breaking stuff looked nasty, and for most hitters he seemed ahead in counts more than earlier this year. I think it was an encouraging start from him.

Meanwhile, I thought Paar and Ryan were just fabulous.

Gonzo' throw turned the game for us, I thought. We stopped them ,then grabbed the lead...play of the game IMHO.

Hitting was very poor, I thought. By my unofficial count, we had runners on 3rd with one out 4 times, and failed to plate the run all four times. Very sad.

Overall, a very fun night at the Rusty C.

Stanton ended up ok. After two innings he was 30-14 strikes. At the end of the game he was 78-44 (56%) strikes. Or pitched 48-30 strikes (63%) after the second. I went back and looked, Stanton started off 12 batters with strikes and 10 with balls ... http://www.ramblinwreck.com/gametra...ol=geot&sport=mbasebl&camefrom=&startschool=& ..... 55% which was his average strike percentage. From the ESPN3 feed I had, it was jerky and hard to see a lot of the pitches movement so I'll take your word for the movement on the ball.

But I can't say how fabulous the D was. Hall in the pre-game pointed out that in the second game against UNC on Saturday, we played sloppy D and with passed balls only one of the runs UNC got was truly earned (his words). Guess he really challenged the club. To put in perspective, our 5 DPs last night is 4 times the average we had last year - when we were one of the best in baseball with 77 DPs (1.2 average=77 DPs for 64 games).

And it wasn't just the DPs, but individual plays. I think the best athletic moves were Justus first play throw out from close to third on his knees and then Bailey tag out of a stealing runner on a high throw by Pabst. Gonzo's throw was the most crucial - bases loaded with one out and the batter gets the sac fly but Gonzo nails the runner at the plate from mid depth left field. (Nice play by Pabst - the guy is a stone cold killer out there defensively.)

Just good baseball. And Auburn played well too with no errors and some nice plays. We were just a little bit better.