GT Vollebees

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Have any of you bought away tickets to volleyball tickets at Duke or UNC? I have always purchased my Duke-GT football tickets at the gate on gameday since I go stuck on their make donations to Duke list. I hesitate to chance that again. It took a year to extricate myself from those monthly email blasts. My wife and I are to those matches this month.
I need to do a better job proof reading my posts. This probably a product of Monday morning, but still...

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Has anyone ever had any luck showing up to O'Keefe and buying secondhand tickets before the game? Looks like Friday is sold out.

So the other week when I went to O'Keefe, the guy scanning the tickets turned out to be the ticket person from GT Athletics Dept. I asked him about sold out games. I told him that on many of the games, we can't buy tickets online even if it doesn't say sold out, plus even in games where it's said to be sold out, once I'm inside O'Keefe, there are many empty spaces. He said those are from block seating or season ticket holders not making the game... so they do allow walk-ins in that case. If after the game starts, if there are open seats, then they can sell additional tickets at the door. No guarantees but at least that's what I was told. Case in point, last year when I went to O'Keefe for a sold out game (the early rounds of NCAA tourney), I was able to get a ticket at the window. However, for the Ohio State match on 9/11 this year, I went with a friend and needed one extra tix and was not able to buy at the window or find an extra that some family had. YMMV. Granted, OSU had a large group traveling too. My guess would be, for the avg ACC teams, you probably can walk up and still get in (don't hold me to it).

B/c I experienced the pains with sellouts last year, this year I elected to get a season ticket for myself. I think next year, I'd get 2 season tickets. If I can't go to any of the games, I can always give it to family or one of you guys.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Any ideas how many tickets they’ve sold for the mccamish game?
Hypothesizing around 4K. Some of those are complimentary/promotional. Not all of those will be used. Have you noticed how difficult it has been to fill the South End Zone in BDS/GF with administrative staff from GT? Hoping the walk up will get us over half full?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I wish we had gotten the win today for the cherry on top of a great weekend but that was my first volleyball game (close to a decade in the making) and I had a lot of fun! The turnout in McCamish was very impressive and it was a spirited, pro-GT crowd. I want to check one out in O'Keefe!

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
McCamish was wild. I think it's time for the ladies to get a bigger place... The problem is it's gonna be really hard to expand O'Keefe due to the logistics (def can't expand to the interstate side) and $$$. But the atmosphere today was electric.

Thoughts about the game. The first set was competitive. 2nd set was not. 3rd set, I thought we finally found this "something" that made things click and may be even the turning point of the season and something we can carry on henceforth. Bergmann and others were on fire... it was a scary ending to the set but we still won set 3. The 4th set started with us being behind 7-8 points, but the Jackets showed 2 rallies and at one point took Pitt's lead down to 4. The crowd was going nuts. The coaches tried new things, bringing in Drewnick, Marmen, Schiffer, and also Patterson as the 2nd defensive player, and bringing in Harper/Marmen combo to replace Otene from the 3rd(?) set. I'm not pinning anything on Otene but in late 2nd set, I thought we really had a chance to win when both teams surpassed 20 points and an otherwise out of bounds ball from a long rally hit Otene's foot despite her trying to move out of the way. Unlucky. We would have taken the lead and who knows what might have happened after.

Let me be honest here... I am not a volleyball expert by any means... just a big fan that's watched this team for a long time and rode the exciting wave of this team rising to the top over the last few years. I feel this year's team has hit the ceiling with some of the issues that occur each game. Serve receive and service errors are still there, especially at critical times, and the setting game continues to be the big issue. Surely the coaches know what they're doing so I continue to wonder each game why the extremely low sets are not getting better. The long sets across the net (left/right, right/left) tend to be high and good but the short sets are always really low. In the Louisville match a week prior, the color commentator, Kevin Barnett was quite frank about the issues with sets and how low they were or how out of position they where that the attackers didn't have many options for clean kills. If you look on the Pitt side today, there were many kills that started from the high point at a such an acute angle that it shot straight to the floor... there's no way to defend those... and we have had those type of kills in the past years - I remember Kaiser doing these back in 2019, 2020... and Moss and Morrissette through this year. The sets simply don't get high enough for our hitters to do this. It's like the issues we had with the FG unit on the football side and now the punting unit. Until we address this issue, I feel that we'll continue to sweep the middle and bottom teams of ACC but we cannot win against really good teams.

Officiating was at times downright atrocious. I was sitting right behind Collier's hubby and friends... and they can see a violation as soon as it happened. There were non-calls for double touch and Pitt hitting when our setter was trying to set (not really sure about this one since I hadn't watched the replay)... these non-calls really killed our comback effort in late 4th set.

Kudos to the Jackets... they fought really really hard. Bergmann had a slow start but finished with a solid 25 kills, followed by Bertilono and Morissette with 8 each. Harper showed signs of promise... hope she gets more playing time and her experience now can become a factor next year. Buzzerio (#8) and Gomez (#2) from Pitt had fantastic games. We're definitely missing the other Bergmann this year in not having Brambilla (esp those signature backcourt attacks, hard to defend).

Curious what others thought of the game...

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
McCamish was wild. I think it's time for the ladies to get a bigger place... The problem is it's gonna be really hard to expand O'Keefe due to the logistics (def can't expand to the interstate side) and $$$. But the atmosphere today was electric.

Thoughts about the game. The first set was competitive. 2nd set was not. 3rd set, I thought we finally found this "something" that made things click and may be even the turning point of the season and something we can carry on henceforth. Bergmann and others were on fire... it was a scary ending to the set but we still won set 3. The 4th set started with us being behind 7-8 points, but the Jackets showed 2 rallies and at one point took Pitt's lead down to 4. The crowd was going nuts. The coaches tried new things, bringing in Drewnick, Marmen, Schiffer, and also Patterson as the 2nd defensive player, and bringing in Harper/Marmen combo to replace Otene from the 3rd(?) set. I'm not pinning anything on Otene but in late 2nd set, I thought we really had a chance to win when both teams surpassed 20 points and an otherwise out of bounds ball from a long rally hit Otene's foot despite her trying to move out of the way. Unlucky. We would have taken the lead and who knows what might have happened after.

Let me be honest here... I am not a volleyball expert by any means... just a big fan that's watched this team for a long time and rode the exciting wave of this team rising to the top over the last few years. I feel this year's team has hit the ceiling with some of the issues that occur each game. Serve receive and service errors are still there, especially at critical times, and the setting game continues to be the big issue. Surely the coaches know what they're doing so I continue to wonder each game why the extremely low sets are not getting better. The long sets across the net (left/right, right/left) tend to be high and good but the short sets are always really low. In the Louisville match a week prior, the color commentator, Kevin Barnett was quite frank about the issues with sets and how low they were or how out of position they where that the attackers didn't have many options for clean kills. If you look on the Pitt side today, there were many kills that started from the high point at a such an acute angle that it shot straight to the floor... there's no way to defend those... and we have had those type of kills in the past years - I remember Kaiser doing these back in 2019, 2020... and Moss and Morrissette through this year. The sets simply don't get high enough for our hitters to do this. It's like the issues we had with the FG unit on the football side and now the punting unit. Until we address this issue, I feel that we'll continue to sweep the middle and bottom teams of ACC but we cannot win against really good teams.

Officiating was at times downright atrocious. I was sitting right behind Collier's hubby and friends... and they can see a violation as soon as it happened. There were non-calls for double touch and Pitt hitting when our setter was trying to set (not really sure about this one since I hadn't watched the replay)... these non-calls really killed our comback effort in late 4th set.

Kudos to the Jackets... they fought really really hard. Bergmann had a slow start but finished with a solid 25 kills, followed by Bertilono and Morissette with 8 each. Harper showed signs of promise... hope she gets more playing time and her experience now can become a factor next year. Buzzerio (#8) and Gomez (#2) from Pitt had fantastic games. We're definitely missing the other Bergmann this year in not having Brambilla (esp those signature backcourt attacks, hard to defend).

Curious what others thought of the game...

Sorry watching the replay, some of what I wrote off the memory was inaccurate. 2nd set was indeed competitive, that Otene comment was indeed a ball that Otene thought out of bounds and didn't play but it hit inbounds... This was late 2nd set. 2nd set was indeed extremely competitive and we lost 25-27. Watching the replay at home... the wild atmosphere at McCamish really comes through. Happy about that.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Our biggest issue is serve receive. When we make a clean bump to the correct place the sets are better and offense works. Serve receive worked really well in the 3rd set; but was putrid in the 4th. I am not sure if if Pitt changed something in their service approach during the 4th set, but they ran off 9 straight points from the service line to grab a 10-1 lead. During that run, we rarely had a clean attack and multiple blocks against. Kudos for battling back to get within 4, but.....

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
Our biggest issue is serve receive. When we make a clean bump to the correct place the sets are better and offense works. Serve receive worked really well in the 3rd set; but was putrid in the 4th. I am not sure if if Pitt changed something in their service approach during the 4th set, but they ran off 9 straight points from the service line to grab a 10-1 lead. During that run, we rarely had a clean attack and multiple blocks against. Kudos for battling back to get within 4, but.....

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
They are an excellent team that I love, and they don't need a hack like me picking at anything. I just compare them to the top 10 teams and wonder what they can do to move higher? These teams put two great blockers on Bergmann and take their chances with the others. She has to try to alter her slams way more than she should. Somebody else is going to have to step up and make them pay for doing that.
Some of the gals need to improve their serves too. Other than that, I just think those teams have a few more elite players.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Very small crowd at Cameron last night. Walked in with no ticket. Same for UNC in 2 weeks.
I just watched the replay of this on WatchESPN or whatever it is now and that had to be the absolute worst production I've ever seen. There was one view from on high. The camera guy kept scanning and panning. It never showed the score, at all. The commentator absolutely butchered our women's names. I heard a "pimento," a "o'taytay," and several other butcherings. Very sad.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I just watched the replay of this on WatchESPN or whatever it is now and that had to be the absolute worst production I've ever seen. There was one view from on high. The camera guy kept scanning and panning. It never showed the score, at all. The commentator absolutely butchered our women's names. I heard a "pimento," a "o'taytay," and several other butcherings. Very sad.
No kidding. I think the only player whose name he didn't butcher was Moss. This was the worst game production I have ever seen on the ACCN online offerings in ANY sport. The commentator should be fired. How hard is it to ask how names are pronounced? Just read the team website where they are all sounded out. And the camera guy wasn't much better. I don't think we ever got any player closeups for either team. It was very hard to watch and even harder to listen to.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I watched #5 Wisconsin sweep #1 Nebraska in Madison tonight. It is hard to see them as significantly better then GTVolleyball, but Sarah Franklin is really good.