GT Vollebees

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
G.T. drops from #7 to #13:

Sounds about right. We only dropped 2 for losing to Ohio State so dropping to 13 after Arkansas loss seems about right.

Did anyone watch the Florida (16) - Wisconsin (4) match from Sat Sept 17? OMG... what a thriller... Highly suggested watch if you can get the replay (it's avail via Youtube TV for me). So one thing I realized watching them duke it out is that right now if Tech played either team, I really don't think we have a chance. Sorry to be the downer but the level of play between FL and WI, at least from what my eyes can see are definitely above Tech right now.

I'm just rambling now but pre-2019, when we were still struggling for relevance when Pitt was getting high national rankings, and could never win against Pitt, one thing I noticed about Pitt was that their kills just had the killer instinct wah-pow to it. Like literally the balls being hit sounded different... and you couldn't defend against those. We have this with Bergmann now (not all balls but when set well) and certainly had it with Brambilla. This year, I just don't hear the loud killer smack all the time from our OH and middles, not as much as the previous years.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Sounds about right. We only dropped 2 for losing to Ohio State so dropping to 13 after Arkansas loss seems about right.

Did anyone watch the Florida (16) - Wisconsin (4) match from Sat Sept 17? OMG... what a thriller... Highly suggested watch if you can get the replay (it's avail via Youtube TV for me). So one thing I realized watching them duke it out is that right now if Tech played either team, I really don't think we have a chance. Sorry to be the downer but the level of play between FL and WI, at least from what my eyes can see are definitely above Tech right now.

I'm just rambling now but pre-2019, when we were still struggling for relevance when Pitt was getting high national rankings, and could never win against Pitt, one thing I noticed about Pitt was that their kills just had the killer instinct wah-pow to it. Like literally the balls being hit sounded different... and you couldn't defend against those. We have this with Bergmann now (not all balls but when set well) and certainly had it with Brambilla. This year, I just don't hear the loud killer smack all the time from our OH and middles, not as much as the previous years.
I disagree a bit with your last statement. When the set is there I see a lot of power from Otene as well as both Morrisette and Moss. Not as often from Bertolino but she didn't have the power kill much last year either. The problem isn't our hitters, it's the timing and location of the sets plus our serve receive has been off compared to last year. It's hard to hit with power when the ball is getting there late or off line. I question whether we shouldn't give Drewnick more time but I assume coach knows what she is doing.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I disagree a bit with your last statement. When the set is there I see a lot of power from Otene as well as both Morrisette and Moss. Not as often from Bertolino but she didn't have the power kill much last year either. The problem isn't our hitters, it's the timing and location of the sets plus our serve receive has been off compared to last year. It's hard to hit with power when the ball is getting there late or off line. I question whether we shouldn't give Drewnick more time but I assume coach knows what she is doing.

Yeah you're right... I was generalizing too much. Otene, Morrisette, and Moss can all hit hard... especially the slides that Morrisette and Moss do, when executed right, are thing of beauty, but there's been so many missed/weak slides this year. And I have often wondered why Drewnick doesn't play more and like you have thought, the coaches have to know what they're doing. When Drewnick comes in, it's now often for games that we're way ahead, and she'll come in around the 19th point, and paired with Marmen or Harper. The other thing I think of a lot is, what's our plan for next year when Bergmann, Moss, Morrisette, Pimentel, (and Marmen) are gone. The only starter we'll have left is Bertolino...

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah you're right... I was generalizing too much. Otene, Morrisette, and Moss can all hit hard... especially the slides that Morrisette and Moss do, when executed right, are thing of beauty, but there's been so many missed/weak slides this year. And I have often wondered why Drewnick doesn't play more and like you have thought, the coaches have to know what they're doing. When Drewnick comes in, it's now often for games that we're way ahead, and she'll come in around the 19th point, and paired with Marmen or Harper. The other thing I think of a lot is, what's our plan for next year when Bergmann, Moss, Morrisette, Pimentel, (and Marmen) are gone. The only starter we'll have left is Bertolino...
Might be time for another recruiting trip to Brazil. I'm willing to bet that was one of the reasons for this summer's team trip down there playing against all those club teams across Brazil. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of commitments later this year from South America.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
A heads up for October 2nd. The GT v. Louisville game scheduled originally for 2 pm on the ACC Network has been moved to 1 pm on ESPN. Same day. Current rankings #13 & #4, for the two clubs.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Where is the game today televised? Checked ACCNX and ESPN3 and others and didn't see. Wanted to watch the end .....

And this was it:
1664134561112.png

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Where is the game today televised? Checked ACCNX and ESPN3 and others and didn't see. Wanted to watch the end .....

And this was it:
View attachment 13160

I get access via my Youtube TV subscription. If you subscribe to other TV services, I'm sure you'll have access as well.

You should bookmark this page. It's very hard to find if you go straight in from google trying to find it.
https://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/_/type/replay/categoryId/be9385dc-c518-3a55-9197-ec47a9e0e7f6

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I went to the Wake and VT matches. Good wins and we're definitely the superior team but many plays are very scrappy in getting the points and the Wake and VT are just not great teams. We have way too many service errors and as usual, setting is still suspect. So a 3-0 sweep looks great but I'm not sure if these average ACC teams are helping up us improve the gameplay, esp for when we meet Louisville and Pitt.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I went to the Wake and VT matches. Good wins and we're definitely the superior team but many plays are very scrappy in getting the points and the Wake and VT are just not great teams. We have way too many service errors and as usual, setting is still suspect. So a 3-0 sweep looks great but I'm not sure if these average ACC teams are helping up us improve the gameplay, esp for when we meet Louisville and Pitt.
Good points.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
We are supposed to sweep the middle of the pack teams and we did that. And we can't help the fact they are in our conference and we have to play them. Our pre conference schedule was set up with a tough ranked teams to prepare for teams like Louisville and Pitt. I actually thought the sets were better today than they have been previously. We definitely need to improve focus on our serves. Most of the missed serves were going for the short serves.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I was supposed to be in Jacksonville this weekend for an inspection. That changed. now I'm in Atlanta tonight and tomorrow. I want to go watch the volleyball team. How do I do that?

Edit: never mind. It's in South Bend. I could actually get to South Bend from Chicago. Looks like there's nothing on campus this weekend to see. My Jax trip was postponed to next week. Maybel I'll be able to catch the Duke game on Saturday and the Pitt VB game on Sunday before I fly back out.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
UL killed us once they got warmed up. 17 blocks against us. Our serve-receive was really poor which led to bad sets and bad attacks. We battled, but the difference was stark.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Has anyone ever had any luck showing up to O'Keefe and buying secondhand tickets before the game? Looks like Friday is sold out.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Have any of you bought away tickets to volleyball tickets at Duke or UNC? I have always purchased my Duke-GT football tickets at the gate on gameday since I go stuck on their make donations to Duke list. I hesitate to chance that again. It took a year to extricate myself from those monthly email blasts. My wife and I are to those matches this month.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Have any of you bought away tickets to volleyball tickets at Duke or UNC? I have always purchased my Duke-GT football tickets at the gate on gameday since I go stuck on their make donations to Duke list. I hesitate to chance that again. It took a year to extricate myself from those monthly email blasts. My wife and I are to those matches this month.
Mind if I more genericize this? Has anyone bought away tickets from GTAA for any sport? Football used to have away tickets for sale on ramblinwreck.com but I wonder if those are mega donors only now. I'd like to get seats in the away section for football games and behind the bench for basketball games if that's do-able.