GT v Wake 1/19

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What have we won in baseball lately, just asking

We discuss that a bit in the baseball forum. Look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Tech_Yellow_Jackets_baseball to flesh out what @WrongShadeOfGold said.

That wasn't updated for the 2019 hosting Atlanta regional (lost first round). Or 2020 COVID year. Or 2021 NCAA seed (lost first round).

Baseball is a bit* in performance like football under CPJ in that we make the NCAAs and don't do much after that most years. CPJ made lots of bowl games and did great every few years. But we've gotten spoiled by expecting better postseason performance in baseball like we did under CPJ. Look where it got us there when CPJ decided to leave. But baseball is where we have out-recruited

That would be a good state of the program for MBB. I expect it for WBB going forward. Just saying (and I had to get back to topic somewhat.)

After the football experience, I'm more than happy with Pastner and think he is the right guy for us given the totality of circumstances.

*In football under CPJ we performed better than the recruiting rankings. In baseball we have recruited better than the performance. In MBB, we haven't recruited well and I can't say that we have under or over performed relative to recruiting.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
It says A LOT! that baseball is being discussed in a Bball forum.SAD really sad. But what is really sad is that it gets worse next yr.
I have to disagree with everyone that thinks that it’ll be worse next season. Our young group will be a year older, factor in the level playing field of talent in the ACC. Those guys can play… I do believe as most others agree the offense is in a funk and the only 2 guys that have looked good in it are Usher & Devoe due to experience. Devoe is having difficulty scoring now which I expected anyhow once we got into conference play.

If I’m scouting us I’d say no jump shots for Devoe make him drive into the help he won’t pass it unless he has too, which will then be an errant pass to someone with the shot clock going down or a turnover. Take away Usher drive allow him to take contested jump shots if he beats us hitting contested jump shots it’s a good night for him. It’s not surprising when I hear fans say we don’t play much team ball. Yes, when you are losing a lot of things are magnified, but to start predicting what next season may look like is stretching it especially with worse attached to it. The future Smith, Coleman, Kelly, Maxwell, & Saba actually looked well last night in spurts and that group kept the game close in the 1st half after the starting group wasn’t getting it done. Those guys actually play well together because they are not having to defer to Usher or Devoe so they are not overthinking because you have to make sure Usher or Devoe has the ball so you pass up the right basketball play so that either one of them can take the shot or have the ball if not you may come out the game. So that explains the unforced turnovers from those guys.
Again I firmly think we will be fine & say again our young guys can play. Maybe we will spread & space the floor out more & run those guys off some screens Howard will be ok, Saba will be ok. CJP will have time to figure out the best offense for his talent level and style of players to make them look their best.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I have to disagree with everyone that thinks that it’ll be worse next season. Our young group will be a year older, factor in the level playing field of talent in the ACC. Those guys can play… I do believe as most others agree the offense is in a funk and the only 2 guys that have looked good in it are Usher & Devoe due to experience. Devoe is having difficulty scoring now which I expected anyhow once we got into conference play.

If I’m scouting us I’d say no jump shots for Devoe make him drive into the help he won’t pass it unless he has too, which will then be an errant pass to someone with the shot clock going down or a turnover. Take away Usher drive allow him to take contested jump shots if he beats us hitting contested jump shots it’s a good night for him. It’s not surprising when I hear fans say we don’t play much team ball. Yes, when you are losing a lot of things are magnified, but to start predicting what next season may look like is stretching it especially with worse attached to it. The future Smith, Coleman, Kelly, Maxwell, & Saba actually looked well last night in spurts and that group kept the game close in the 1st half after the starting group wasn’t getting it done. Those guys actually play well together because they are not having to defer to Usher or Devoe so they are not overthinking because you have to make sure Usher or Devoe has the ball so you pass up the right basketball play so that either one of them can take the shot or have the ball if not you may come out the game. So that explains the unforced turnovers from those guys.
Again I firmly think we will be fine & say again our young guys can play. Maybe we will spread & space the floor out more & run those guys off some screens Howard will be ok, Saba will be ok. CJP will have time to figure out the best offense for his talent level and style of players to make them look their best.

I'm glad you are positive and I hope it comes true. But what you see next yr ,I could see in 2 yrs. When you can't shoot from--the field, 3 pters or FTs AT HOME (per that game) there is a MAJOR problem.Also, we still need inside scoring/rebounding /def from the transfer mkt, which remains to be seen.

William S. Baker

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm glad you are positive and I hope it comes true. But what you see next yr ,I could see in 2 yrs. When you can't shoot from--the field, 3 pters or FTs AT HOME (per that game) there is a MAJOR problem.Also, we still need inside scoring/rebounding /def from the transfer mkt, which remains to be seen.
And above all Confidence.