Film Room GT v UK 2016 Taxslayer Series 1

Matt E

GT Athlete
Our young guards are getting great push. Can't wait to see these guys after a year in the offseason S&C program

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
This analysis helps one see that OLine quickness with the use of cut blocks can overcome size of the DLineman.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Looked like we got away with a chop block downfield on the very first play from scrimmage, or were very close to committing one. And I still cringe when our O line tries to cut block DBs in space downfield. I'd rather they use their size and leverage in those cases. But man oh man did they just cave in Kentucky's front time and time again. We've got a lot of these guys back for the next two to three years. The more they play together, the better they will get at recognizing fronts. Mills is going to put up big numbers running behind these guys. I already can't wait for next year.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Will we finally have the OL pipeline we always thought we'd get where the youngsters are groomed early and are absolute beasts when they're juniors and seniors? These guys look like the beginning of that process.

ATLGT14

Georgia Tech Fan
On the 4th and short, Freddie fires out, and Mills follows Will who drives his guy to the ground. A lot of blue jerseys moving backwards on that play.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Will we finally have the OL pipeline we always thought we'd get where the youngsters are groomed early and are absolute beasts when they're juniors and seniors? These guys look like the beginning of that process.
From behind the bench the Morgan twins look very strong. I hope we really mix it up in game 2/3 next year so by end of year we have experienced depth to use in uga game and then...

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
From behind the bench the Morgan twins look very strong. I hope we really mix it up in game 2/3 next year so by end of year we have experienced depth to use in uga game and then...

I am all for building depth and keeping starters fresh. This also boosts team morale. Roof seemed to do a god job at this in the past but this year he stayed with his LB starters and DBs more than in the past . CPJ (and I am a big fan) not so much. Coach has mentioned this in the past that OL players can go 50-60 plays before their tiredness kicks in. Freddie played all plays in several games as did Justin. In the past Mason went all the way. Mills got virtually all the snaps in the Bowl game (missed opportunity to see a little of Benson, Quaide, Jordan, and Morgan).

IMO CPJ is just not big on playing a lot of people unless the number of plays goes beyond 60 or so unless there is a specific reason beyond building depth or boosting morale. Of course ABs are CPJs exception. I do not get to see practice and other team functions so my opinion is just that, an opinion based on a view from the stands.

I did play for a really good fundamental HS coach who moved up from a lower division where getting 13 players ready for a game was the norm. He was not as successful at the higher level because IMO he did not adjust to playing two platoon football and getting 40 players ready to play. Just a thought.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I am all for building depth and keeping starters fresh. This also boosts team morale. Roof seemed to do a god job at this in the past but this year he stayed with his LB starters and DBs more than in the past . CPJ (and I am a big fan) not so much. Coach has mentioned this in the past that OL players can go 50-60 plays before their tiredness kicks in. Freddie played all plays in several games as did Justin. In the past Mason went all the way. Mills got virtually all the snaps in the Bowl game (missed opportunity to see a little of Benson, Quaide, Jordan, and Morgan).

IMO CPJ is just not big on playing a lot of people unless the number of plays goes beyond 60 or so unless there is a specific reason beyond building depth or boosting morale. Of course ABs are CPJs exception. I do not get to see practice and other team functions so my opinion is just that, an opinion based on a view from the stands.

I did play for a really good fundamental HS coach who moved up from a lower division where getting 13 players ready for a game was the norm. He was not as successful at the higher level because IMO he did not adjust to playing two platoon football and getting 40 players ready to play. Just a thought.
Well, unlike uga, Clemson and other factory schools we play who go 1A, 1B and sometimes 1C, we generally go 1, 3, 5 in our depth. So maybe the reason we don't go too deep, there's just too much of a drop off in performance.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

He really, really, really wanted 9 wins for some reason. This was more than just an exhibition to CPJ, a lot more.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
He really, really, really wanted 9 wins for some reason. This was more than just an exhibition to CPJ, a lot more.

I agree that CPJ is fiercely competitive and I like that about him. I agree that he chooses to do what he thinks is the best for the team to win. No doubt.

Building a football team is like a business. You choose your business model and execute. CPJ has his business model for a team and it works well for him. Mine is similar but a little different in that I like playing more players for several reasons. A good coach can probably make work what he knows best. I like CPJ a lot as a coach but some minor things I would do differently. Neither is necessarily right or wrong.