Film Room GT v Miami Series 2

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know of a play we run to take advantage of the deep MLB?
I know the follow and the midline allow us to get a hat on him, but it seems there would be a way to make him cheat up to the line

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
These are my observations after reviewing all your excellent videos.

1) VL seems to have a lot more missed reads
2) VL is a lot less decisive on his pitches
3) Seems like CPJ was not confident enough in VL to regularly run the triple. We ran a lot of fake triples last year, compared to none this year that I can remember
4) The 2013 O doesn't seem to know their blocking assignments as well as the 2014 O. Lot of missed assignments. I'm thinking, it might have something to do with the installation of the diamond formation and a reduction in reps in the base O

None of this is meant as a cheap shot on Vad. It's just an observational critique/comparison of our 2013 QB vs our 2014 QB.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
I know the follow and the midline allow us to get a hat on him, but it seems there would be a way to make him cheat up to the line
If the MLB is flowing to the outside and is taking the QB or pitch or is just too quick to the outside in general a counter to that would be the zone dive to the B back.. The MLB is left unblocked as he will be voiding the area for his responsibilities. We saw that several time last week against Va Tech. We have 5 blocking 4.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I always, always watch your analysis with rapt attention. Good job as always. Just a minor preference on my part is to refer to the formation as Flexbone not Wishbone. I totally buy CPJ's take that it allows more offensive flexibility, hence the name.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yes, dive. Take your 5 yds a pop and death march their arse. Remember, we have wide line splits, it gives us a decided leverage advantage right up the middle as long as they aren't blitzing the gaps. If we read the run blitz correctly, we can burn 'em on the outside.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It all depends on how well the MLB reads the QB, mesh give/keep, and or pulling guards. The best MLBs read quick and take no miss steps and get down hill to the BBack if a give or the outside if a keep. The DE shove to disrupt the OT from getting to the second level makes blocking the deep MLB more difficult.

The deepness of the MLB really helps on angles to the outside. The depth also makes OL blocks more difficult as they have further to go and the MLB has more time to get to the outside.

JT will help as that MLB will have to get to the outside quick if he is to get there before JT and the ABack. This will get the MLB outside before the BB mesh and allow the middle to be open for the give and or the midline. JT has the quickness that means the defense will have to react faster.

If they try to contain JT outside, we will bust them in the mouth inside.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
QB Sneak. Seriously. Run it right between Shaq and Freddie with Freddie going up to block the MLB. Hit it quick with JT and you've got a 5-yd play and maybe more. CPJ has done this before, but it didn't work too well ... I remember it at the end of the Utah game for instance.