Film Room GT v FSU

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Longest day.

They are clearly a very athletic D. Lots of big fast defenders.

We introduced a formation in the first half and ran the base plays. Then we introduced some play variations from that formation in the second half -- midline and a belly dive. Both were effective.

Overall we played another good game on O against a good defense. We got to the MLB on and off throughout the game. Lots of mistakes though (wrong side on the dive, bad timing on a-back motion, blocking the pitchman, etc.).

I'd like to see us throw a smoke route when they load the box.

The last series: I don't like the call of the counter on first. They were on that play all night long. Look how open JT was after the pitch on rocket on second down. CPJ saw it and called a rocket bootleg counter (?) on third. Interesting how quick they were on it.

/

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
That's the one thing I said going into the game, that I didn't want to see us call the counter option because they were too fast for it. I think PJ may have outsmarted himself on that one. But he employed some formations that aren't used as much, like putting the A back at a TE spot. It seems like he gave them a dose of a several different things, triple, midline, rocket toss, QB counter. They are hard to block. The O did a nice job against a very athletic D, maybe the most athletic we'll face all year and against a coach who probably has a good feel for how PJ approaches things and what kind of adjustments he likes to make.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Offense did enough for us to win...nothing more. JT's run was so big at the time, but other than that, FSU did a good job of keeping us in check.

There were several times where our slot receiver had ridiculous cushions (and yes...he was eligible on the plays). We have to add a wrinkle that gets the slot the ball when this happens. This would do a few things:

1. Help us complete some passes in 3rd and medium
2. Open up the deep ball more on obvious passing downs
3. Allow us to get better angles on run plays when the DB's have to move up to cover them

I'm stunned why we don't do this...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Longest day.

They are clearly a very athletic D. Lots of big fast defenders.

We introduced a formation in the first half and ran the base plays. Then we introduced some play variations from that formation in the second half -- midline and a belly dive. Both were effective.

Overall we played another good game on O against a good defense. We got to the MLB on and off throughout the game. Lots of mistakes though (wrong side on the dive, bad timing on a-back motion, blocking the pitchman, etc.).

I'd like to see us throw a smoke route when they load the box.

The last series: I don't like the call of the counter on first. They were on that play all night long. Look how open JT was after the pitch on rocket on second down. CPJ saw it and called a rocket bootleg counter (?) on third. Interesting how quick they were on it.

/
So what was our tweak to overcome their concerted effort to hold us up at the LOS so their mike could run free? They actually held us a few times with no flags, go figure.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Offense did enough for us to win...nothing more. JT's run was so big at the time, but other than that, FSU did a good job of keeping us in check.

There were several times where our slot receiver had ridiculous cushions (and yes...he was eligible on the plays). We have to add a wrinkle that gets the slot the ball when this happens. This would do a few things:

1. Help us complete some passes in 3rd and medium
2. Open up the deep ball more on obvious passing downs
3. Allow us to get better angles on run plays when the DB's have to move up to cover them

I'm stunned why we don't do this...
JT doesn't have 2 seconds to throw, that's why. Also, the way defenses play us by stacking the box, it virtually eliminates the passing seams to the slot on the slant. We'd be throwing right into the teeth of the D. A wheel takes way too long, but glad it worked to Stewart when it did.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
JT doesn't have 2 seconds to throw, that's why. Also, the way defenses play us by stacking the box, it virtually eliminates the passing seams to the slot on the slant. We'd be throwing right into the teeth of the D. A wheel takes way too long, but glad it worked to Stewart when it did.

Doesn't have to be a slant though. The DB's are playing so far back at times that he could literally just turn and throw it...basically a smoke route to the slot instead of the wide out. Don't need 2 seconds to do that

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't have to be a slant though. The DB's are playing so far back at times that he could literally just turn and throw it...basically a smoke route to the slot instead of the wide out. Don't need 2 seconds to do that
Why don't you draw that up and send it to coach. ;)

*****Totally in jest, not meant to be taken seriously*****

Sorry bout that but couldn't resist considering the other thread in progress about his "snarkiness" to call-in fans. (That was his exact comment to a fan. :confused:)

I do think that might be a good plan. If they're playing way off, why not?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Why don't you draw that up and send it to coach. ;)

*****Totally in jest, not meant to be taken seriously*****

Sorry bout that but couldn't resist considering the other thread in progress about his "snarkiness" to call-in fans. (That was his exact comment to a fan. :confused:)

I do think that might be a good plan. If they're playing way off, why not?

Lol...yeah, I'm not going to open myself up to the PJ wrath. I'm guessing he's already considered it, but I'd really like to understand why that isn't an option. The reasons I've heard so far just don't make sense. Perhaps he doesn't want to comment on it publicly?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
...then again, given the way Justin's passes looked on Saturday, we may be better off just dropping the passing game entirely. There was at least one more pass that could have been picked, and may have gone for six the other way if it was...

He definitely made up for those picks with that run though. It was a thing of beauty

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not sure what the counter to holding up the center and tackles to keep the MLB "clean"... Speed option? I'll call and ask next week,

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
Could you describe what you have in mind from the OB?
Are you thinking of the double option we ran where the non-motion ABs fired up instead of laterally? Looked like a called give to the BB. Good for 8-10 yards a pop in the third quarter, if I recall.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Are you thinking of the double option we ran where the non-motion ABs fired up instead of laterally? Looked like a called give to the BB. Good for 8-10 yards a pop in the third quarter, if I recall.
Could you describe what you have in mind from the OB?
I guess I'm thinking of the midline where both Abacks come through the B gap and block second level defenders.

3:42

Watching this vid really shows how much we miss Chris Griffin and the execution of the senior Abacks and Dennis Andrews.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
After just rewatching the game and longestday's video, I'm most pleased with our use of the midline. It was looking pretty good. I also thought our rocket tosses in the tight formation were looking very good. We seemed to have issues blocking in space when we run the rocket out of our base or unbalance, but the tight formation was money.

With how well our lineman move, we could probably work in some form of bubble screen to a slot. I have NO IDEA how much effort that would take to coach and work the timing of. I think in general, if the defender is playing that far off the slot, I'd prefer we just rocket toss to that side. It gives our slot extra time to make a block and let the play develop. We don't HAVE to pass the ball just because they are giving cushion.