GT-UofL score predictions?

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
26-21 GT. Offense moves the ball well but stalls in the red zone a bunch and kicks a bunch of FGs as well as a couple TDs from first-game jitters

MaverickGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure what to expect from Louisville offensively, but I’d bet we put up 35 points. I really like our receiver corp
New offensive coordinator, new offensive system, new QB, first game of the year- expect miscues, and the receiver core has almost zero experience playing together- we have almost zero known proven playmakers. Offense takes time to gel in general- if we come out a score 30+ in the first game then watch out Clemson we might win the ACC this year, lol.

I would pump the brakes on thinking we score over 30. We lost our best skilled WR when Leo Blackburn tore his ACL in spring ball, Malik seems to be our go to guy and I think he will be able to pretty much replace Nate McCollum's production from last year. Nate was solid and by far our best WR on the team last year- he was an ACC level WR- probably slightly above avg player in the league.

Reports are that all the transfer WR's - Dom Blaylock, Chase Lane, Abdul Janneh have been ok. Im guessing a step below Malik. Christian Leary, the transfer from Bama is the backup to Malik- he's extremely fast but has consistency issues catching the ball. Janneh is slow and can't get separation but catches the ball- we don't have that Stud go to receiver, yet.... Reports are that Leo Blackburn is ahead of schedule on his rehab and could be back and playing in October. Leo could be in that "stud" category- has the potential but hasn't been able to stay healthy in three years.

The one interesting thing that I have been hearing on the WR group is that true freshman, Eric Singleton may be the steal of last year's class. We held off Auburn and aTm last year to sign him. Supposedly, he's been a freak in practice and has been turning heads. He could be the next Stud WR at GT- he is the fastest guy on the team and can break defenders ankles with his cuts.

I am not expecting too much from the WR room this year- I hope they can be serviceable - we are still below average to maybe average at best in the ACC right now. If Singleton is a true stud and understands the system as a True Freshman and if Leo Blackburn can come back healthy in October and both end up starting for us, along with Malik then I think those three could elevate us to an above average WR corp in the conference. Right now, I think this could be the weakest group of the Offense and would temper my expectations on their production - especially first game of the year- with no experience or chemistry developed with our new QB yet.

I think if we score more than 21 points in the first game then Buster will have called an excellent game and we executed pretty well. I can see us maybe, maybe reaching 24-28 points if everything goes right and we get a defensive TD- pick 6 or something. I think our defense is going to be solid- above avg. in the ACC. I am hoping they can contain and make plays against the Cards. I think this game will be a slug fest- low scoring. I highly doubt either team reaches 30+ points. Too many unknowns for both teams and both are installing new HC's, new offensive systems, and new QB's- Defense is always ahead of the offense early in the season. I'm expecting a 24-17 or 21-14 type score.

Go Jackets!!

Last edited:

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
33-13

Our offense comes out prepared and ready to fight putting our defense in a great position all game long. Start off the season with a good win and a new respect for the Yellow Jackets!

CEB

Helluva Engineer
New offensive coordinator, new offensive system, new QB, first game of the year- expect miscues, and the receiver core has almost zero experience playing together- we have almost zero known proven playmakers. Offense takes time to gel in general- if we come out a score 30+ in the first game then watch out Clemson we might win the ACC this year, lol.

I would pump the brakes on thinking we score over 30. We lost our best skilled WR when Leo Blackburn tore his ACL in spring ball, Malik seems to be our go to guy and I think he will be able to pretty much replace Nate McCollum's production from last year. Nate was solid and by far our best WR on the team last year- he was an ACC level WR- probably slightly above avg player in the league.

Reports are that all the transfer WR's - Dom Blaylock, Chase Lane, Abdul Janneh have been ok. Im guessing a step below Malik. Christian Leary, the transfer from Bama is the backup to Malik- he's extremely fast but has consistency issues catching the ball. Janneh is slow and can't get separation but catches the ball- we don't have that Stud go to receiver, yet.... Reports are that Leo Blackburn is ahead of schedule on his rehab and could be back and playing in October. Leo could be in that "stud" category- has the potential but hasn't been able to stay healthy in three years.

The one interesting thing that I have been hearing on the WR group is that true freshman, Eric Singleton may be the steal of last year's class. We held off Auburn and aTm last year to sign him. Supposedly, he's been a freak in practice and has been turning heads. He could be the next Stud WR at GT- he is the fastest guy on the team and can break defenders ankles with his cuts.

I am not expecting too much from the WR room this year- I hope they can be serviceable - we are still below average to maybe average at best in the ACC right now. If Singleton is a true stud and understands the system as a True Freshman and if Leo Blackburn can come back healthy in October and both end up starting for us, along with Malik then I think those three could elevate us to an above average WR corp in the conference. Right now, I think this could be the weakest group of the Offense and would temper my expectations on their production - especially first game of the year- with no experience or chemistry developed with our new QB yet.

I think if we score more than 21 points in the first game then Buster will have called an excellent game and we executed pretty well. I can see us maybe, maybe reaching 24-28 points if everything goes right and we get a defensive TD- pick 6 or something. I think our defense is going to be solid- above avg. in the ACC. I am hoping they can contain and make plays against the Cards. I think this game will be a slug fest- low scoring. I highly doubt either team reaches 30+ points. Too many unknowns for both teams and both are installing new HC's, new offensive systems, and new QB's- Defense is always ahead of the offense early in the season. I'm expecting a 24-17 or 21-14 type score.

Go Jackets!!
Indication from our camp is that we are going to sling it around. No reason to believe a Brohm team is going to grind it out on the ground. I anticipate plenty of opportunities for pass rush, and rather than WR, I think DL will be the key to the scoring. I suspect DL (for both) to be gassed late. Fourth quarter could be a back and forth affair.
I’m thinking 14-10 / 14-13 halftime score. Then a 24-20 type of game going into the 4th and both teams making a couple of endzone trips in the final quarter.
It’ll go down like this:
End of third and early fourth quarters see scores by both teams.
Tech scores late in the 4th to go up 38-27. In case you’re wondering, yes, it was 31-27 and you’d think we play conservative and kick for a 7 point lead, but not this Tech team! We go for the throat!
Lville has plenty of time to drive the field and they do. 2pt conversion is good and Techies are sweating, clinging to 3 points and fearing the “here we go again moment.”
Both Ds are gassed; he who has the ball last wins. Lville has time but opts for the onside kick....
Tech is not fooled! Kick recovered by Tech but Lville has 2 TO to use. Tech converts a clutch 4th and short and then takes a knee at the Lville 27 to ice 38-35 win.
Book it. :D

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!!
I like your summary of wr talent = They are "100% potential and come highly recommended by thier friends.
Samething can be said about the oc.
However - i have hope from 2 things. 1. My very brief meeting w WR coach where he said " we are going to sling it around". 2 My texas hs coaching son who knows and greatly respects Haynes kings Dad as a very gritty and smart east texas football coach. HK in hs ran option, power I, pro, and air raid to beat very loaded teams

Imo, in past our offense has been dependent on handing ball to gibbs as a first option, hitting short pass to under receiver, or finally qb running. This has all the defenses stacked in middle and tight 1 on 1 coversge wide. Qb and wr must be perfect.

If oc does sling it , we could have wr that suddenly look more talented - due to scheme.
Also , i think TE will be getting YAC instead of being gang tackled.

If the defense is strong again inspite of talent to pros, i will enjoy eating Thacker Turkey Sandwiches. They tasted great last year

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!!
Makes absolute perfect sense...which is why the combined score will probably break 100. Just kidding. As an aside, College Football News seems to think Louisville has this one in the bag. We shall see Upon further review, CFN is more measured than I thought. They have it 28-23 Cardinals and note that for Tech to win, the Jackets will need a pretty good advantage in turnovers. Louisville was one of the worst teams in college ball last year in turnovers. The quarterback is a tall, slow, veteran who can throw the ball into coverage on the money. We have to get pressure on him and hit him hard.

Last edited:

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Go Jackets!!
Blaylock hasn't stood out in any way?