GT - UNC game predictions

heeled soul

Georgia Tech Fan
38-17 GT

I don't see Marvin Austin, Zach Brown, Kevin Reddick, Robert Quinn, or Coples (who we made look about as bad as Kam Chancellor) on UNC D and even with those guys we still beat UNC.
Renner is poor man TJ Yates. Romar Morris could be a problem, but UNC is content on being a finesse offense. I like the Ebron vs Watts match up.

i see your point about the lack of defensive stars... except two of the five you mentioned last played in 2010 and another two played in 2011. the guy that we really miss this year is DT sly williams (1st rd to broncos in 2013 draft).

i completely disagree with renner being a poor man's yates when he'll easily break most (if not all) of yates' school records this year. i don't really see your point on UNC being a finesse offense as if that's a problem. we were the 8th highest scoring team in the nation last year, and did put up 50 on GT (most GT gave up last season).

the only time UNC beat GT was PJ's first year. the appropriate rationale was that GT was adjusting to the new schemes. well, last year was the first year UNC played in its new defensive scheme. so, the hope is that there is significant improvement this year given increased familiarity. we'll see.

heeled soul

Georgia Tech Fan
Heeled soul, thank you for your ability to discuss and disagree in a civilized manner. It is so refreshing to hear opinions from the other team's fans that aren't laden with extreme bias and immature insults.

thanks for that. as i said before on another thread, i like to read GT football boards because the discussion is usually more technical, and the fan base seems more intelligent than most. y'all have been very civil yourselves. i've enjoyed the discussions this week, and will be back next week win or lose.

hope it's an enjoyable game again tomorrow, and let's hope for no injuries.

gtpkt

Jolly Good Fellow
Is anyone else worried about EVERYONE picking us to beat UNC? Usually we have a couple of people pick against us just because. I enjoy being the underdog.

Either way GT wins here 45-17. UNC will play sloppy on offense making our defense look good.

I'm worried about UNC more than most. But part of that is that I'm still waiting to see if our defense has definitely improved. I think it has, but I thought it did after the first three games from last year as well.

Anyway, I think it will be close, but here's to an injury free beatdown!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Our D has improved a lot. We had our success against Duke largely out of just our base D. However it is a little disconcerting that with two weeks to prepare we apparently weren't able to run anything else.

I still think we give Renner fits. I'm calling for three sacks and a pick.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
i see your point about the lack of defensive stars... except two of the five you mentioned last played in 2010 and another two played in 2011. the guy that we really miss this year is DT sly williams (1st rd to broncos in 2013 draft).

i completely disagree with renner being a poor man's yates when he'll easily break most (if not all) of yates' school records this year. i don't really see your point on UNC being a finesse offense as if that's a problem. we were the 8th highest scoring team in the nation last year, and did put up 50 on GT (most GT gave up last season).

the only time UNC beat GT was PJ's first year. the appropriate rationale was that GT was adjusting to the new schemes. well, last year was the first year UNC played in its new defensive scheme. so, the hope is that there is significant improvement this year given increased familiarity. we'll see.

I named those guys bc those were the UNC stud defensive guys that I played against so they were fresh on my mind

As for Renner, that just my personal opinion. Just don't see "it". Solid but not All-ACC

One of GT D bugaboos over the last 3-4 years is that we have been extremely weak at POA at LOS. Some of that was a product to attempt to fit square peg in a round hole with the 3-4 and also lack of attitude/nastiness on D as whole. Teams like VT, Miami, and ugag stress playing physical style when they go against us and based on their vs. I feel that is approach to go until we prove otherwise. That is one of the reasons why I believe we are 4-2 Clemson.

I really believe we hold you guys to 21 or under

Last edited:

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm no Eric or Nostradamus but I think this one will go down to the end. I going to say something like GT 27-UNC 24. I'm expecting lots of emotional swings and I am thinking (hoping?) our Freshman Butt-kicker will step up in the end and win it with a field goal.

Then again, if I am wrong and we blow them out, I will certainly be glad to be wrong!

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
(i may be setting myself up here but i'll ask anyways)

curious... if anything, what worries you most about the game?
for me, maybe it would be that GT and TR's D has not yet faced a QB of Renner's caliber.
Ebron worries me. I'm really glad Gio is gone.