GT UNC 2014 Series 1

RussianOffense

Georgia Tech Fan
From that series it looks like coaching was the problem with UNC's defense. They were worse with basic assignments than anyone we've played in the ACC.

However, UNC maybe did one thing we didn't do on defense which was take some chances. They mixed in the offset five-man front (and some other formations) instead of the basic formation everyone uses against us. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the formation that caused our fumble on the first drive and ultimately won them the game.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I actually think the "missed read" by JT where he gave it to ZL was a correct read. You're taught to "GIVE...unless" as a QB in the triple option; you make the defense force the QB keep. Looked to me like the End was not fully committed to stopping the dive, which is why ZL still got 3 yards.

Now, I think you're right that JT could have gotten more yards if he had kept. But I think he did what he was supposed to do.

Good call on the Rocket Toss - that thing was a TD if that corner didn't fire and force the lead AB to flatten out for the block.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
And you're right about the TD - just a dive. One giveaway is JT's body language. He's not taking his jab step from under center down the line

For instance, check the way the playside foot here (the right foot) touches down playside as the QB rotates his body that way:

On our TD, JT sort of just steps backwards.
Also, another giveaway is his helmet. If he's not staring down the DE, he's not able to read him.