GT Recruiting/Football blitz 7/26

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
*** GT 2014 recruiting

- GT has 12 commits on board with a few guys close to making commitments.

- Jake Stickler has said he will make his decision is the next couple of weeks and things look good for Georgia Tech as of now...Mizzou, Baylor and USF are his other schools. Mizzou has 5 OL commits now so they may done at that spot. I project Sticker to Georgia Tech.

- The other guy I think that is close to committing to Georgia Tech is Terrell Lewis...I have been waiting for him to jump on board for awhile. GT jumped on him early and schools like Miami and LSU have offered but he still has the Jackets out front. He is a top OLB target for GT.

- Gary Brown has told me that he plans to make his commitment by the end of Septemeber or earlier...If/When Stickler jumps on board that will put more pressure on Brown. He has GT and Indiana as his top two. I would project him to GT as of now.

- GT is aiming at 22 for the 2014 class as of now.

- I talked to one of Kinlaw's coaches again and he said Caleb was at UT recently working out trying to get a commitable offer from them...UNC and UT are his top two and GT is in his top four according to his Dad. He will wait till after his Senior season to make a commitment.

- Myles Autry is one of the top targets for us still at A-Back and his recruitment is one that will have twists and turns all the way to NSD. I think GT will be in it in the end due to Mama Autry though.

- Shai McKenzie is working on rescheduling his Pitt visit from what I hear and that is where I project him to. I am hoping that GT will get a chance to impress him on a OV this Fall.

- Andrew Williams has GT down his list a bit from the source I talked to (Which doesn't get any closer to him) Ole Miss and Clemson are at the top. He is pondering a OV to GT for a game.

- One of the higher targets that GT has that is listening is Montae Nicholson. He has never visited GT so he remains a longshot until we at least get him on campus...we will be working to get on of his OV's. Michigan is expected to be the team to beat.

- With the remaining 10 scholarships I think it will go .... 3 OL, 2 RB, 2 DL, 1 OLB and then they have the other two spots to take an ATH or another elite level guy. They could also take another RB or OLB

** Team news

- Camp is starting out next week...finally the season is almost here!

- Louis Young is down to 196 and wants to be around 190 when the seasons starts...he was in the 200's last year.

- Young and Golden have been in the film room non stop.

- There is a lot of expectations from the team and the coaching staff on the offensive line this year..we have three Seniors who have logged a ton of time (Jackson, Finch and Beno) a Junior who arguabably is the most talented of the group (Mason) and Bailey who has great potential if he can stay healthy. This group should be one of the better ones in the league.

- Expect a heavy dose of Laskey and Sims this Fall...the staff will be playing both of them and keeping them fresh. They both have been working hard this off-season and I expect increased production from this group.

- The big question mark is on offense..What will happen at WR. Waller has a very good shot at one of the WR spots. But the other one is wide open for anybody..Smelter, Summers, Jeune and Messick will all be fighting for that job. Do not count Smelter out...he has been looking good this Summer.

- Vad and Thomas will continue to battle it out but it looks like Vad has a good grasp on keeping the job....Thomas is explosive and CPJ will find ways to get him on the field.

- I know you all are probably tired of seeing me comment about Vad and his leadership but I am so happy to see GT have someone step up as a leader...don't get me wrong I loved Nesbitt and all he brought to the table but it is nice to see us have a vocal leader under center for a change. You have heard CPJ comment the last couple of years about us needing leaders...that is something you haven't heard once this year.

- Personally I think we have a chance to have a good defense...If the DL can step up our defense could really be something. We have a great DB core with Young, Thomas, Johnson, Milton, Hoyon, White, etc....The LB group has a ton of talent and experience with Nealy, Hunt-Days and Watts.

- Shawn Green appears to be out awhile...which means we need Gotsis and Cummings to stay healthy.

- At DE I think Attaochu to going to have a really good season...Williams, Dieke, etc needs to step up at the other spot.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Thanks Eric. With Green out, how are Kallon, Kitchen, etc. coming along? Do the coaches think they can step up if needed?

I will let Eric answer this but just wanted to add that Kitchen has really come along this summer. Even CPJ has said that the light has kinda come on for him which is really encouraging. Also, Pat Gamble is a stud.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am excited just as Eric is about this team. Vocal leader who is a hard worker=Check
Improved defense with tons of experience=Check
A Defensive coach that wants to attack=Check
Offensive line that should dominate and experienced RB's that should combine at least 1500 yards=check

Only worry is WR

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Lots of Kool Aid being sipped ...
But seriously are they still recruiting Zanders??
I still have concerns in the following areas:
1. explosiveness from the BBack position
2. offensive line push and protection
3. WR
4. DL pressure and run stopping
5. Play calling

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Why play calling?

There were some times in games where CPJ's play calling was a little weird. However, I figured that was due to a lack of confidence in some areas that should now be improved (OL and defense maybe?). JMHO.

Eric,

Thanks for the report as always. Where's the obligatory Kallon update? Has anybody tracked down Devine and directed him to the weight room?

gtpkt

Jolly Good Fellow
3. WR
5. Play calling

First, thanks for the update, Eric! So stoked.

As for ATL1's post:
1) Not worried about this. We know that Sims/Laskey aren't the "explosive" type backs, just like Allen wasn't an explosive back (not saying they are as good as Allen). However, they both hit the hole hard and Laskey (almost) ALWAYS gets an extra yard more than he should.
2) So, the season as a whole, I am not concerned with the line getting a push. However, it takes a couple of games for them to gel. Let's hope that happens for the UNC game and we are 2-0 going into that game (which we should...). Also, last year the protection was exceptionally better than in years past. Now, that could be my perception, but after rewatching several games recently, it seemed that Tevin and Vad had plenty of time in pistol formations. I'm not saying it doesn't need to improve, but IMHO, it was night/day compared to previous years.
3) Agreed. That's even a concern with CPJ. The big question is, "do we have anyone that has enough concentration when the ball is in the air?" I guess the other big questions is, "will Waller improve his blocking skills?" I remember him getting chewed out quite a bit.
4) Agreed. The DTs are especially a question. I feel that Sneezy could have a Morgan circa '09 type of year and get some big sacks that help us out. But if we get no push on run stopping, teams like Miami and UGAg are gonna run all over us... I'm really hoping that Gotsis lives up to the hype.
5) We know what we are getting with CPJ. You are going to love/hate decisions he makes based on the outcome. There are going to be some WTF moments, but there are also going to be some play calls where we're glad to have a coach with cojones.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I will let Eric answer this but just wanted to add that Kitchen has really come along this summer. Even CPJ has said that the light has kinda come on for him which is really encouraging. Also, Pat Gamble is a stud.

I'm pretty optimistic about this season but like ATL1 said, there's a lot of Koolaid sipping. Powder, I love your opinion on nearly everything but where is this "Pat Gamble is a stud" coming from? Is he a stud compared to anyone or stud compared to performance on our DLine the last couple of years. If it's the latter then it's really not saying anything. Maybe it's just my opinion, but I think terms like stud are more often interpreted as if someone is going to be on an All-ACC team which is unlikely for him this year. I think it might be safer to say he has "studly potential" :)

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm pretty optimistic about this season but like ATL1 said, there's a lot of Koolaid sipping. Powder, I love your opinion on nearly everything but where is this "Pat Gamble is a stud" coming from? Is he a stud compared to anyone or stud compared to performance on our DLine the last couple of years. If it's the latter then it's really not saying anything. Maybe it's just my opinion, but I think terms like stud are more often interpreted as if someone is going to be on an All-ACC team which is unlikely for him this year. I think it might be safer to say he has "studly potential" :)

Thanks Cuse!

I think he is a stud in the latter example. But you are right, he is not a proven and more about potential. Francis has a ton of potential but Pat is closing in on his. He has been raved about from coaches & players. He had a really good spring and messed up some plays in spring ball. I expect him to play a big role this year and make a couple of big plays.

My final expectation is for him to be a first or second ALL ACC team guy by his junior or senior year then play in the NFL. So "studly potential" is more fitting.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
3. WR
5. Play calling

I think Bback is going to be more explosive with Sims actually healthy and Laskey having a really good spring. However, Dwyer or Allen isn't there but I have no concern at this position at all. Snoddy is going to get some plays in the pistol and it should be fun to watch!

2. I expect the offensive line to play together very well. We have three seniors who are leaders like Jay Finch. Shaq and Morgan have been around awhile as well. Depth is pretty good too! We have a ton of redshirt guys from different years who are pretty good.

3. WR...I am pretty scared. Expect the A backs to get more catches if they can't prove themselves. I expect the A backs to get more catches now that they have a QB or QB's that can make those crisp/fast passes more efficiently.

4. I am not worried about pressure as much as depth. If Sneezy never gets a break then he isn't going to be effective as he should be. Guys need to step up. Someone needs to emerge from the other side as the leader(Ant,Dieke,Crenshaw) and pass rusher.

5. It can be frusterating to watch but I know there is a reason for what he does and he is a genius at reading defenses.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think Bback is going to be more explosive with Sims actually healthy and Laskey having a really good spring. However, Dwyer or Allen isn't there but I have no concern at this position at all. Snoddy is going to get some plays in the pistol and it should be fun to watch!

Snoddy gives me hope due to his speed, but he is unproven. I've seen Sims & Laskey and meh.

2. I expect the offensive line to play together very well. We have three seniors who are leaders like Jay Finch. Shaq and Morgan have been around awhile as well. Depth is pretty good too! We have a ton of redshirt guys from different years who are pretty good.

This same cast last year was disappointing. This year I'm reading the same quotes that were made last year. But this year will be different?

3. WR...I am pretty scared. Expect the A backs to get more catches if they can't prove themselves. I expect the A backs to get more catches now that they have a QB or QB's that can make those crisp/fast passes more efficiently.

Yep, but with all these guy competing including the freshman, I feel someone will come out of it, so I'm actually not as scared. There are some real specimens battling for position.

4. I am not worried about pressure as much as depth. If Sneezy never gets a break then he isn't going to be effective as he should be. Guys need to step up. Someone needs to emerge from the other side as the leader(Ant,Dieke,Crenshaw) and pass rusher.

Yes, this is a big one. Tech will have to manufacture pressure with the blitz.

5. It can be frusterating to watch but I know there is a reason for what he does and he is a genius at reading defenses.

Yes and some games there is no rhyme or reason to it.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Thanks Eric. With Green out, how are Kallon, Kitchen, etc. coming along? Do the coaches think they can step up if needed?

As Powder said the coaches felt the light went off for Kitchens near the end of camp and he really started playing well. Kallon is still devolping and as expected still needs some time before he's ready. He could see increased action as the year goes along. He's working hard at it and has a lot of potential still.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
3. WR
5. Play calling

Anyone who has followed me since I've been covering GT recruiting knows I'm not a sunshine pumper..in fact many always called me negative because I always give a honest opinion whether its positive to GT or not.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Marvin Zanders is still hearing from GT at last check.

Shamire Devine will be getting kicked into gear soon with camp starting up.

I like Pat Gamble...he will be the #3 DT this year IMO.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Anyone who has followed me since I've been covering GT recruiting knows I'm not a sunshine pumper..in fact many always called me negative because I always give a honest opinion whether its positive to GT or not.

This has to be the first time it has ever even been considered that Eric is a sunshine pumper lol.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I really like Zanders his new ESPN highlight showcases his arm, that kid is gonna be special for some team I hope it's Tech's.
I'm ready for the season.
Now pass me the kool aid.