GT players with NBA potential

yjfan

Jolly Good Fellow
While I'd love to see Moses back, I dont see how he cannot be on the NBA's radar. He's long, athletic, gaining muscle, and still learning the game all while posting impressive numbers on both offense and defense. -(esp with hewitt working for the clippers now).

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
While I'd love to see Moses back, I dont see how he cannot be on the NBA's radar. He's long, athletic, gaining muscle, and still learning the game all while posting impressive numbers on both offense and defense. -(esp with hewitt working for the clippers now).
The role for Moses would be a 7/8 guy on the second team primarily to bring energy to the second unit. Wouldn't be a guy who they run plays for but look for him to play good D from the 4 spot, rebound and get points where he can. He has the length and athleticism to play to that role. The "issue" is there are a ton of guys both in college and stocked in the G League who have similar skills/athleticism. The thing that would make him stand out is if somehow he can extend his range and become at least a legit threat from 3 in a now standard NBA 5 out set. He isn't big enough to play the 5 and not necessarily need the range, so he is going to have to figure out a way to stand out in a crowded field. But he has the requisite length and athleticism.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
The role for Moses would be a 7/8 guy on the second team primarily to bring energy to the second unit. Wouldn't be a guy who they run plays for but look for him to play good D from the 4 spot, rebound and get points where he can. He has the length and athleticism to play to that role. The "issue" is there are a ton of guys both in college and stocked in the G League who have similar skills/athleticism. The thing that would make him stand out is if somehow he can extend his range and become at least a legit threat from 3 in a now standard NBA 5 out set. He isn't big enough to play the 5 and not necessarily need the range, so he is going to have to figure out a way to stand out in a crowded field. But he has the requisite length and athleticism.
was about to hit "like" or "love" but that doesnt seem strong enough. this post hits the nail directly on the ****ing head. with emphasis on this part: The "issue" is there are a ton of guys both in college and stocked in the G League who have similar skills/athleticism.

only thing i would add is that he is a "tweener" - he is 100% definitely not a 3/wing based on skills. so he has to be a stretch 4 as you mentioned. but he is small for an NBA stretch 4, even with his outstanding athleticism. 5-10 years ago i would say no chance. but so much "small ball" or "positionless" being played nowadays in the NBA that a second unit small ball 4-man he might be able to do. but only if his 3pt shooting solidifies. not hard to imagine him spending a couple years in the G-league trying to develop his game to become an NBA player in that role. the million dollar question (pun intended) in my mind is this: is he better off trying to develop those aspects of his game at GT or in the G-league??? at GT he is a focal point on a strong team in the ACC. in the G-league he is a young role player who risks getting limited minutes and being forced to play a career overseas. not the worst thing in the world, but maybe an additional year as an alpha-dog in the ACC is better for his development and increases his long-term odds of making it in the NBA as a second unit 4-man?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I love Moses on the team this year and he deserves all the praise he is getting. But, I wonder if he is among the Top 25 power forwards in the country. I can think of several players in the ACC that are better NBA candidates at his position. When I watch NBA games I have a hard time distinguishing between the role of a 3 and a 4. Both roles demand a dynamic one on one skill from all over the floor. I do not see that in Moses' game right now.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I love Moses on the team this year and he deserves all the praise he is getting. But, I wonder if he is among the Top 25 power forwards in the country. I can think of several players in the ACC that are better NBA candidates at his position. When I watch NBA games I have a hard time distinguishing between the role of a 3 and a 4. Both roles demand a dynamic one on one skill from all over the floor. I do not see that in Moses' game right now.
Who are the acc players who would be better candidates?

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
If this hasn’t been added I would like add Jordan Usher to the list. I think he will make a fine living in the NBA, good athleticism, great defender, great passer, good 3 point shooter. I like pretty much everything about his game.

slugboy

Staff member
I’ve thought almost any Tech player could do with an extra year at Tech. I even wanted Marbury to stay longer. From what I’ve observed, fans think our players should be farther up on the all-ACC lists, and further down on the NBA draft boards. {to be fair, I think Jose, Moses, and maybe even Usher will get less recognition than they should when the all-ACC teams come out}
Moses isn’t going to have physical superiority in the NBA, but he doesn’t have better measurables than some of the players he’s matched up on now—he’s playing against bigger players, usually. And, he’s playing well even out of position.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I’ve thought almost any Tech player could do with an extra year at Tech. I even wanted Marbury to stay longer. From what I’ve observed, fans think our players should be farther up on the all-ACC lists, and further down on the NBA draft boards. {to be fair, I think Jose, Moses, and maybe even Usher will get less recognition than they should when the all-ACC teams come out}
Moses isn’t going to have physical superiority in the NBA, but he doesn’t have better measurables than some of the players he’s matched up on now—he’s playing against bigger players, usually. And, he’s playing well even out of position.
I just don't think he can guard NBA forwards is the issue. Maybe I am off here but like Jayson Tatum for example plays primarily at the 4. 22 also is older for an nba draft prospect.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think if you factor in Moses’ defense ability it’s not as far off as you think.
This is a good point. Moses has shown a better rim protector than most of us expected. That said, rim protection will not be his role in the NBA (if he gets a chance). What he will be asked to do is guard a big version Jordan Usher (but with a better shot) away from the basket.

When he arrived at GT I made the comment that he had a mindset of an outside player and a body of an inside player. Maybe having to play inside this year has been a disservice to his NBA chances as he has not yet developed those "away from the basket" skills.

Maybe I am missing his upside because I would love to see him return for another year at GT. I also think he, Jose, and Michael are just below what is needed to make a living as a professional. All would be smart to leave Tech with a diploma.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer

You can check the mock drafts around, it seems like Jose, Devoe and Wright are not on most of them. I hope they get some good counsel on this.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

You can check the mock drafts around, it seems like Jose, Devoe and Wright are not on most of them. I hope they get some good counsel on this.
"Most" of them or "any" of them?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

You're not wrong, but there are still overseas leagues that pay decent money, and Jose already has a family to provide for (and little chance of making the NBA even with another year at GT). It seems to me the equation is whether an added year at GT will improve their NBA prospects, and if you just don't have the size or stroke, then why delay going out and making cash overseas? I Mean, you may only have a 10 year "lifetime" as a pro basketball player, why waste one year of potential salary staying at college when you could be earning money somewhere?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I think Jose could go overseas and play. That does not mean following that path would be good choice.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Most on this board probably know this well already, but just in case there's a few ignorant people like me out there browsing here's some info:

But how much do European basketball players make?​

The answer is that a North American who travels over can expect to get paid anywhere between $65,000 and $100,000, depending on the league and the market.

Some players who are more high profile, such as former NBA players, might get paid more. A star players such as Alexey Shved makes more than $4,000,000. Many clubs will also pay for a player’s taxes and provide other benefits such as housing and a vehicle on top of their salary.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is a good point. Moses has shown a better rim protector than most of us expected. That said, rim protection will not be his role in the NBA (if he gets a chance). What he will be asked to do is guard a big version Jordan Usher (but with a better shot) away from the basket.

When he arrived at GT I made the comment that he had a mindset of an outside player and a body of an inside player. Maybe having to play inside this year has been a disservice to his NBA chances as he has not yet developed those "away from the basket" skills.

Maybe I am missing his upside because I would love to see him return for another year at GT. I also think he, Jose, and Michael are just below what is needed to make a living as a professional. All would be smart to leave Tech with a diploma.
I don't think any of those guys are below what it takes "to make a living" at basketball. Maybe not in the US, but I think all three of them are more than capable of playing in Europe or in other International leagues.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
was about to hit "like" or "love" but that doesnt seem strong enough. this post hits the nail directly on the ****ing head. with emphasis on this part: The "issue" is there are a ton of guys both in college and stocked in the G League who have similar skills/athleticism.

only thing i would add is that he is a "tweener" - he is 100% definitely not a 3/wing based on skills. so he has to be a stretch 4 as you mentioned. but he is small for an NBA stretch 4, even with his outstanding athleticism. 5-10 years ago i would say no chance. but so much "small ball" or "positionless" being played nowadays in the NBA that a second unit small ball 4-man he might be able to do. but only if his 3pt shooting solidifies. not hard to imagine him spending a couple years in the G-league trying to develop his game to become an NBA player in that role. the million dollar question (pun intended) in my mind is this: is he better off trying to develop those aspects of his game at GT or in the G-league??? at GT he is a focal point on a strong team in the ACC. in the G-league he is a young role player who risks getting limited minutes and being forced to play a career overseas. not the worst thing in the world, but maybe an additional year as an alpha-dog in the ACC is better for his development and increases his long-term odds of making it in the NBA as a second unit 4-man?
I think what it comes down to is whether he wants to keep doing school or just concentrate on basketball every day and get paid while he does it. G league can pay $150 or $175k, right? If Europe is still a thing with COVID you can get paid there and also experience different cultures. I don’t see him getting drafted, unless we make a run and he blows up in the tournament, but he still has a path to the league.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
IMO, Usher has NBA level athleticism, explosiveness, and length. He would be similar to what Iman Shumpert became: a great defender, and a great guy to come off the bench. The team wouldn't look for him to be a scorer, but do a lot of everything else to take the load off of the primary scorers. Usher has enough of a skillset to add 6-10 points a night on top of everything else he brings to the table. Usher is strongest in transition, so I think the up and down style of the NBA favors his skillset more than the college game.

I was watching the Lakers-Nuggets game last night, and the Nuggets had a short PG, Facundo Campazzo, that came off the bench that reminded me a LOT of Jose. High energy guy that can run the backup PG spot, but also come in be a spark. Hit open shots, wreck havoc on defense, and run the offense all with high energy. Sounds like Jose. I literally thought I was watching Jose play in the NBA their style is so similar:

IMO, Moses has enough skill and athleticism to play in the NBA. It's just a matter of fit. Moses needs to work on his passing more. ON the next level, he won't be a first option scorer down low, so he has to be willing to battle for rebounds, get the ball out of his hands quickly to find the open guy, If you look at the careers that Draymond Green and Markief Morris have carved for themselves...someone willing to battle down low, set up the primary scorer, and do the dirty work...that's something Moses can do. Moses is taller and longer than Draymond and Morris, and has equal athleticism. Draymond and Markief just has an unmerciful attitude when they go to the basket...something that Moses needs to find. We saw a bit of it against Pitt. The 4 spot in the NBA is different now. You've got guys like that are near 7 foot that have equal athleticism to Usher, but can shoot and create shots like smaller guards.

Most of it is just about fit, and the role you carve for yourself once you get the chance. Rotation guys aren't there to be stars, they're there to do everything else to help out the primary scorers and hit open shots when the opportunity is there for them. None of our guys are surefire first rounders, so they'll have to hope a team takes a chance and brings them to camp and they carve out a niche for themselves.