Votes: 168 89.8%
  • Under

Votes: 19 10.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If we don’t win six games, the Tech forums will be in shambles.
In general the boards tend to be in shambles following each loss now matter what has transpired the week(s) prior. In this time we are reintroduced to more than a few fonts who can't or won't post otherwise. The despair and gloom lingers at least until our next win.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
In general the boards tend to be in shambles following each loss now matter what has transpired the week(s) prior. In this time we are reintroduced to more than a few fonts who can't or won't post otherwise. The despair and gloom lingers at least until our next win.
I picture these fonts that we never hear from during the good times as being lonely, single, middle-aged men who spend all their time in dark basements waiting for the world to share their despair.

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
Georgia State should be a win, but it's these kinds of games that scare me. With it being a cross town team and our fan bases propensity to not show up for these types of game, this might be the highest attended game of the year in BDS and it might be close to 50% GSU fans in seats.
I just want to remind everyone that Georgia State's highest home attendance last year was 16,718. No, they aren't taking over Bobby Dodd. NC State, Miami, etc. will all bring more fans to Bobby Dodd than Ga State.

slugboy

Staff member
I just want to remind everyone that Georgia State's highest home attendance last year was 16,718. No, they aren't taking over Bobby Dodd. NC State, Miami, etc. will all bring more fans to Bobby Dodd than Ga State.
NC State used to bring a good set of fans, before the Atlantic/Coastal split. I don’t know if they still travel well, but they used to

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Considering the high water mark for attendance last year (aside from the uga game) was 35,945, you can extrapolate that there are probably about 25-30k GT fans heading to the stadium for non uga matchups. The SC State and BG matchups drew 30-31k. While GSU routinely draws half of what we do, this is not a normal game for them. This is a chance for their fans to show out for a P5 game where there is no travel involved, no hotels to coordinate. The possibility that they put 12-15k in the stands is a very real thing. It's also a game in which their students can easily make an "away" game. The possibility that GT fans bail on this one, especially if we lose the week prior in Ireland, is also a very real thing. I never said they would take over the stadium. It's very possible they can pack enough fans in to get near the 40-50% mark based on the game, location, and GT fan apathy.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Considering the high water mark for attendance last year (aside from the uga game) was 35,945, you can extrapolate that there are probably about 25-30k GT fans heading to the stadium for non uga matchups. The SC State and BG matchups drew 30-31k. While GSU routinely draws half of what we do, this is not a normal game for them. This is a chance for their fans to show out for a P5 game where there is no travel involved, no hotels to coordinate. The possibility that they put 12-15k in the stands is a very real thing. It's also a game in which their students can easily make an "away" game. The possibility that GT fans bail on this one, especially if we lose the week prior in Ireland, is also a very real thing. I never said they would take over the stadium. It's very possible they can pack enough fans in to get near the 40-50% mark based on the game, location, and GT fan apathy.
I sort of agree with this about our Georgia State.. There are a lot of GSU grads in Atlanta and I personally don't think there is much hostility between us either way. I feel like it is a game where little brother takes on big brother which will generate interest from both sides.
Should be a clean, fun game and hopefully big brother will dominate to keep little brother in check. :)

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It's an interesting number. My gut says we could go 7-5 this year IF we improve our defense significantly and maintain our offensive output. We would have to run the gamut against winnable opponents (and we never seem to do that) as well as pick up 2-3 upsets along the way to win 7 games.

VMI is a win. If it isn't, we are in real trouble.

Georgia State should be a win, but it's these kinds of games that scare me. With it being a cross town team and our fan bases propensity to not show up for these types of game, this might be the highest attended game of the year in BDS and it might be close to 50% GSU fans in seats.

Syracuse should be a win, but ACC chaos is real.

Duke should be a win, but ACC chaos is real.

VT is a near peer. This game should be a toss up, leaning towards a win.

UNC, based on talent alone, should be a loss, but until they actually beat us, I'll count it as a win.

These are the 6 "easiest games on the schedule, IMO. The next 6 are all games where we could be competitive but we shouldn't be favored to win any of them. We need an upset from at least 1 of these teams, and maybe 2 to beat the 5.5 number, assuming we win the 5 easiest games on our schedule.

Miami, based on talent alone, should be a loss. We've won some big games against them at BDS, and this might be one, but they will also be coming in with a chip on their shoulder after last year. This one leans toward a loss.

NCSU and UL are good teams and well coached. They should be close but lean to losses.

FSU has to reload a lot, but they have some firepower to reload with. Week zero game on a different continent plays in our favor. An FSU with a playoff snub chip on their shoulder does not play in our favor. I see a close game for three quarters before they put it away.

Notre Dame is likely a loss.

uga is likely a loss.
Seems most here underrate VT. They had the same record as GT LAST SEASON, 7-6 (5-3). The game is in Blacksburg which is a tough place to win when are good. As an aside they return 86% of their offensive production.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Seems most here underrate VT. They had the same record as GT LAST SEASON, 7-6 (5-3). The game is in Blacksburg which is a tough place to win when are good. As an aside they return 86% of their offensive production.

Agree. I consider VT as close to a peer as we currently have in the ACC. Per OFEI, they were only slightly below us (33 vs 38) but per DFEI they were better, though neither of us were good (63 vs 76).

Again, my prognostication of 7 wins being possible hinges upon significant improvement in the defense with minimal, if any, drop off in offensive production. I am banking on these two things in order to classify VT as leaning towards a win vs leaning towards a loss.

Also, and I freely admit that it might be due to bias on my part, but I think we definitely have a decided advantage at the HC position.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, they are interesting. They are actually the only ACC team we play this year that will have the same QB as last year. In a new world of college football basically shuffling the deck every year, they managed to find some continuity.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
You are correct. I just cannot figure out what happened to the fan base from five and more years ago. if you watch video of games over the past 20 years up until 2019, we averaged a lot more fans. The upper east stands used to be pretty full and now they are almost empty. I am not sure where the fans have gone. You would think the fan base would be excited by the direction that Coach Key has to program going in. It should be very exciting this year to watch the offense.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Anything greater than or equal to 6 wins will be a good season with our schedule. We have to avoid injuries to several key players with our lack of depth and inexperience. The DL and LB play will define how good this team can be.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I was talking to a co-worker the other day and said this... If GA State were to ever get into a Power 4 conference it would ruin GT.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
With better technique (coaching) and the right scheme I think that Lockett and Biggers can be exactly what we need at DT. I feel pretty good about the uga transfer at LB paired with Efford. DE’s who can actually get to the QB are our main need on defense imo.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, they are interesting. They are actually the only ACC team we play this year that will have the same QB as last year. In a new world of college football basically shuffling the deck every year, they managed to find some continuity.
VT had the same record as us last season but the only teams they beat worth anything were BC and Tulane in their bowl game. I think we may actually have a talent advantage over them, especially on offense.

Dman374

Georgia Tech Fan
I was talking to a co-worker the other day and said this... If GA State were to ever get into a Power 4 conference it would ruin GT.
Shocked Sesame Street GIF

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
VT had the same record as us last season but the only teams they beat worth anything were BC and Tulane in their bowl game. I think we may actually have a talent advantage over them, especially on offense.
I expect they will be a slight favorite in preseason betting lines as the game is in Blacksburg. There wasn’t much difference in performance between either team. They started the season very poorly and played much better their last 8 games.

Should be a good tough game for both teams.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I expect they will be a slight favorite in preseason betting lines as the game is in Blacksburg. There wasn’t much difference in performance between either team. They started the season very poorly and played much better their last 8 games.

Should be a good tough game for both teams.

Agreed. To me, the biggest difference between the two is that IMO we have a better QB/WR/RB combo. In a tight game that can be the difference.