GT Open Hoops Scrimmage 10/25

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Can't believe that I forgot to include a piece about Nick Jacobs above. I'm not sure how that happened as he really was a standout in the scrimmage. If he were eligible this year, our front court would have to be considered one of the best in the conference. He was all over the boards, played very strong defense, and he is very similar to Cox in that he is skilled at using his body to get off a good shot. This guy has received almost no hype since coming over, but he is going to surprise a lot of folks next season.

After seeing Cox, Mitchell, and Jacobs all play on Saturday, I have to take my hat off again to BG for pulling those 3 guys along with Sampson in. They're all good ball players!!

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Loved hearing that from Andy Katz about Tadric.

FWIW, I felt the same way after seeing his play on Saturday, but I didn't want to sound like even more of a Tadric homer. I thought he looked really, really good out there. He is very poised and picks his spots well. While he gives us the ability to score at the off-guard spot that hasn't been there a while, he still can make a huge impact for us in other ways when he is not scoring. He and Jorgensen are going to be a hit among us hoop heads when everyone else gets to see them play together.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@connell62, how would you compare AD to Q? Able to defend the block better? Able to play the wing? They seem to have similar body types but those concerns remain for Q and may prevent him from seeing a ton of minutes

AD is much bigger than Q. He is taller and he is already thicker, and believe it or not, his wing span makes Q's look normal. Put another 20-25 lbs on AD and he will be physically imposing. With that said, I think that he will crack the rotation, but it will be at the four spot, and I think that we bring him along slowly. Of all the bigs, his game is more perimeter oriented than any of the others.

Just based off of what I saw on Sat, I don't think that you will see Q playing much in the paint this year. He will play SF and if we go big, he may see some minutes at off guard. It will be interesting to see how he fits into the rotation, but I think that he will carve out a role somewhere. He may be the one that we look at when we need some long range buckets.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
can Sampson hit a 15-17 fter from the high post? he didn't score much and after a yr here I thought he would be more assertive in shooting..
Who besides mgh,who can guard the 6-6 #3 men that we see a lot?

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Oh yeah.. he is very capable of making that shot. That's why he is so good at getting to the rim, they have to guard his shooting. I haven't watched him all that closely, but I think that is where he has been the best over his career. The one thing that I noticed with him on Saturday was that he really battles on the boards. He also liked using the glass on a couple of little turnarounds. He's going to be a good player for us.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I was expecting big things from Q this season but it sounds kind of like with 5 guys dominating the 2 guard positions and Sampson maybe getting some minutes at the 3 and MGH presumably playng a TON of minutes this season, Q may be out in the cold a bit?

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think that Q will have a role, but I'm not exactly sure what it will look like right now. He's a heady player and I think that he is an underrated defender. Truth be told, the rate at which he is making the outside shot will probably help dictate how much he plays.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I think in theory, we could R/S either Lammers or AD, but who knows. Part of it may depend on quality of post player we can land in recruiting this year.

I like the idea of having depth of 5 in the post. Would've been a great luxury last year.

If we land a higher quality post player for 2015, then I think you can R/S one unless needed, leaving your primary rotation of Sampson/Cox/Mitchell, with Lammers/AD as the 4th option & Stephens as a stretch 4 in a pinch. Then in 2015, you'll play Mitchell/Jacobs/Lammers/AD + 2015 recruit.

If the 2015 recruit needs the development, you maybe have to redshirt him next year and need Lammers & Jacobs to have experience to play and still have Q at stretch 4. This seems the less ideal situation.

In 2016, Lammers & AD should be in position to start, unless we land some big time talent that can start ahead of them. Chris Lewis & Romello White could have that potential.
I haven't worked through the thread yet but have to stop and ask something. "AD" refers to A. Gueye right? Deduction suggests it must but I want to make sure I got the agreed on lingo. It would be clearer is one said "AG" or "Ad" in my opinion though as two cap letters seems more like first and last name initials.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I haven't worked through the thread yet but have to stop and ask something. "AD" refers to A. Gueye right? Deduction suggests it must but I want to make sure I got the agreed on lingo. It would be clearer is one said "AG" or "Ad" in my opinion though as two cap letters seems more like first and last name initials.
Bruce Wayne is an apropo handle, as your deductive reasoning is 100% correct. AD is his nickname, per various sources.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I asked the same question last week. Rcvd the same answer.

To be completely cliché................It is what it is.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
BTW thank ya'll for keeping us informed about the men's BB team. Wanted to head down Saturday but already committed to SWMBO for horse realated stuff...

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Glad I read all before having to ask about AD too! Thought I'd flat our missed someone.
Yeah I tend to catch up on the bball threads to glean info every couple weeks so I have to make sure I know the lingo and nicknames. :) I will read them more regularly once games are being played.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Huge thanks go out to @connell62, @dtm1997 and anyone else who contributed to this. @Eric, can our guy c62 be nominated for uber-Featured Member status?

Even though he likes to yell at us negative nellies (;)) he really brings a lot to the site.

I agree!

If we can get @RamblinRed to post some more..this will be "SLAM Dunk City" of a forum. We have the posters that will already get us to the final four :)

Many thanks to everyone that go coast-to-coast of info for us to read.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't post as much as I mentioned on another board simply because i've lost alot of interest in college sports the last couple of years. I really dislike the way it is heading. I don't follow recruiting very closely anymore - though its fair to say this year has not gone well - not surprising given how Gregory is perceived right now.

I'll say I have no idea what to make of this years team. It could exceed expectations and win 18-20 games, it could stink and win 12. I just don't know. I was planning on going to the scrimmage but had something come up last minute. It's clear from the reports that GT will try very hard to go inside out. We'll see how that goes. None of Cox, Mitchell or Sampson had been primary options on their prior teams so it is a big step up for them. (in fairness none of them played in a system that was designed to get tham many touches). I think Travis is going to be a very good PG, but he will be up and down this year going through his first year of action in college basketball.

Sort of the interesting thing to me is that I see next year (regardless of who the coach is) as a good potential NCAA club (and that is without Brown). I think by then you will have a strong backcourt with Travis and Tadric, who will both have gone through their FR years. You have a front line of SR - Hunt, Mitchell and Jacobs. Jacobs should be an easy double digit scorer - he was almost there in Alabama's dysfunctional offense. That is a solid starting five with 3 HS 4* players and 2 high 3* level players. If you could convince Brown to join that then you are talking about winning NCAA Games not making the tourney. You also have enough pieces for a decent if hardly exciting bench.

RamblinRed

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I don't post as much as I mentioned on another board simply because i've lost alot of interest in college sports the last couple of years. I really dislike the way it is heading. I don't follow recruiting very closely anymore - though its fair to say this year has not gone well - not surprising given how Gregory is perceived right now.

I'll say I have no idea what to make of this years team. It could exceed expectations and win 18-20 games, it could stink and win 12. I just don't know. I was planning on going to the scrimmage but had something come up last minute. It's clear from the reports that GT will try very hard to go inside out. We'll see how that goes. None of Cox, Mitchell or Sampson had been primary options on their prior teams so it is a big step up for them. (in fairness none of them played in a system that was designed to get tham many touches). I think Travis is going to be a very good PG, but he will be up and down this year going through his first year of action in college basketball.

Sort of the interesting thing to me is that I see next year (regardless of who the coach is) as a good potential NCAA club (and that is without Brown). I think by then you will have a strong backcourt with Travis and Tadric, who will both have gone through their FR years. You have a front line of SR - Hunt, Mitchell and Jacobs. Jacobs should be an easy double digit scorer - he was almost there in Alabama's dysfunctional offense. That is a solid starting five with 3 HS 4* players and 2 high 3* level players. If you could convince Brown to join that then you are talking about winning NCAA Games not making the tourney. You also have enough pieces for a decent if hardly exciting bench.

RamblinRed

Red,I feel about the same.It has been hard for Tech to make headway it seems. I too use to watch recruiting a lot-even to getting recr service reports.But now, just ho-hum.
I really like Greg personally but the "Poole debacle" has about killed his program to me.
I have been watching since the days of Roger Kaiser and we cycle a lot .
Hang in there ,we love your insight.