GT Open Hoops Scrimmage 10/25

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@connell62 is there live and will be livetweeting while I transcribe them here along with any other tidbits he DMs over. Some technical difficulties called for teamwork. We'll also include GT Hoops tweets.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Winner P1 - Gold
Winner P2 - Blue
Winner P3 - Gold
Winner P4 - Blue

Side that had Cox won 3 of 4.

I think we knew this, but looks like the bulk of the post minutes will go to Sampson/Cox/Mitchell.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Winner P1 - Gold
Winner P2 - Blue
Winner P3 - Gold
Winner P4 - Blue

Side that had Cox won 3 of 4.

I think we knew this, but looks like the bulk of the post minutes will go to Sampson/Cox/Mitchell.

There's no talk of redshirting Lammers, is there?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think in theory, we could R/S either Lammers or AD, but who knows. Part of it may depend on quality of post player we can land in recruiting this year.

I like the idea of having depth of 5 in the post. Would've been a great luxury last year.

If we land a higher quality post player for 2015, then I think you can R/S one unless needed, leaving your primary rotation of Sampson/Cox/Mitchell, with Lammers/AD as the 4th option & Stephens as a stretch 4 in a pinch. Then in 2015, you'll play Mitchell/Jacobs/Lammers/AD + 2015 recruit.

If the 2015 recruit needs the development, you maybe have to redshirt him next year and need Lammers & Jacobs to have experience to play and still have Q at stretch 4. This seems the less ideal situation.

In 2016, Lammers & AD should be in position to start, unless we land some big time talent that can start ahead of them. Chris Lewis & Romello White could have that potential.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think in theory, we could R/S either Lammers or AD, but who knows. Part of it may depend on quality of post player we can land in recruiting this year.

I like the idea of having depth of 5 in the post. Would've been a great luxury last year.

If we land a higher quality post player for 2015, then I think you can R/S one unless needed, leaving your primary rotation of Sampson/Cox/Mitchell, with Lammers/AD as the 4th option & Stephens as a stretch 4 in a pinch. Then in 2015, you'll play Mitchell/Jacobs/Lammers/AD + 2015 recruit.

If the 2015 recruit needs the development, you maybe have to redshirt him next year and need Lammers & Jacobs to have experience to play and still have Q at stretch 4. This seems the less ideal situation.

In 2016, Lammers & AD should be in position to start, unless we land some big time talent that can start ahead of them. Chris Lewis & Romello White could have that potential.

Will provide more feedback later, but I'm glad I went today. I'm really looking forward to the season now. We have some things to work on, but I am more optimistic about our team than previously if that is possible.

Based on what I saw today, I think that our starters will be Jorgensen, Jackson, MGH, Sampson, and Cox. Mitchell and Bolden first off of bench. That combo in the backcourt looked very smooth together and they created a lot of good looks for the others. Thought ball movement was great with this entire group.

As far as post minutes, it is clearly Cox, Mitchell, and Sampson that we will lean on in the paint once the season begins. I was highly impressed with Cox today. I don't want to overreact to a scrimmage, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he averages double figures for us. He is a big target in the paint and he can get that baby hook shot when he wants it, and he is a good passer out of double teams.

Lammers and AD both had flashes but they've got a way to go. Their games are very different. Lammers looked like a pure post and was good defensively but he needs to focus on developing some post moves. He got the ball a few times with his back to the basket, and he didn't get off very good shots.

AD has a load of potential and he has the ability to play on the perimeter. They worked the pick-n-pop for him several times, and he knocked down a few J's including a trey. The most impressive thing with AD is his wing span. He changed a lot of shots and got his hands on a lot of passes.

In a few years, I can see both of these guys being key pieces of the post rotation. Both have the frames to add size and they are both very athletic bigs. They'll be very good players for us, but they should allow us to still focus on landing a big time recruit and being excellent role players for us. Offensively and on the glass, AD has more upside, but I can Lammers being a good player. Don't see him being a big time scorer but he very good defensively.

Nick Jacobs hasnt been talked about very much around here, but he's gonna be a heckva player for us. He was very active on the glass and had a number of second chance opportunities. He had a couple of blocks and really played good post D against Mitchell and Cox. There was a lot of banging in the paint today. If Jacobs was available this year, we would have one of the best front courts in the conference.

Last edited:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At the 0:21 mark of BG's interview, appears to be Shawntrez Davis. Some other recruits noticeable and you can see Robert Baker make an appearance, but I couldn't recognize any others.

Honestly, if Davis has the grades and wanted to come in, I'd close. That said, wtf do I know relative to the coaches? The correct answer is nothing. I know nothing relative to the coaches.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
@connell62, how would you compare AD to Q? Able to defend the block better? Able to play the wing? They seem to have similar body types but those concerns remain for Q and may prevent him from seeing a ton of minutes

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sorry for the long post.. Please excuse any typos!!

Just a final brain dump / general thoughts from the scrimmage:

Back Court:

- Jorgensen seemed to be moving very well, I saw no issue with his knee. He looked great pushing the ball up on the break looking for easy opportunities. He only played two periods, and his team won both. Without a doubt, the ball movement was much better with him at the point and Tadric at the off-guard spot than with any other combination. Again, I'm not going to get too excited over one scrimmage, but I think that their ability to beat their man off of the dribble and pass or finish will open up our offense.

- Thought that Tadric's floor game was impressive. I've said it before that I felt like he would affect the game for us in a number of ways, and that is much of what I saw on Saturday. He is a good ball handler and he's really good at feeding the post. Not only did the offense run more smoothly, but I thought he showed a good understanding of when to look for his shot and when to pass. That confidence is a big thing with freshmen. Initially I thought it might take a few games for his to win the starting job, but I think that he starts against Georgia.

- Perimeter shooting was one of the few negatives that I saw today. As a whole, the team didn't shoot well. We got a lot of good looks from the running our sets, in rhythm off of kick-outs and in good form, but they weren't falling. Perhaps it was just an off-shooting day or legs were tired, but I was hoping to see us knock more down. That's not meant as indictment on Buckets, the whole team was off, but I had heard that he had a great summer, so I was hoping to see him knock a few down from deep.

- Speaking of Bolden, I thought he did a great job of playing under control, and he did a good job of taking care of the ball throughout the scrimmage. He was steady, but he didn't really flash any drastic improvement. Much to the dismay of myself (and my boy Pea), he still shot that wild *** runner of his a few times. Please, stop and pull-up from the free-throw line and stop shooting that runner CB!! LOL

- Josh Heath: Our added PG Depth is another one of the things that stood out to me. While Josh isn't getting a lot pub, I thought he looked solid out there running the team. I haven't looked closely at the box score, but it seemed like he played considerably more than Heyward. He didn't turn the ball over, and he did a decent job of getting us into our offense. He is not as proficient at pushing the ball up the court as Jorgensen, and he is not a threat to score, but he doesn't turn it over and I thought he got our guys the ball where they had good lucks. For the first time in a long while, I think that we have a couple of "true" PG's in Jorgensen and Heath, and to a lesser degree Heyward.

- Heyward: Maybe it was just my eye, but I thought Corey got lost in the mix in a little. Only my estimation, but he seems to be the third PG at the moment. Jorgensen is the clear starter (IMO) and while Corey does a good job of taking care of it and distributing the ball, I felt like Heath was the better PG on Saturday. In order for Corey to find some minutes this year, he is going to have to become more aggressive offensively. With that said, Corey showed that he has the ability to finish in the lane, and he took a few three's that were open that is capable of making. Don't get me wrong, Corey will play this year, but it is going to be a challenge for BG to find him some minutes, and I feel like they will come between the 1 & 2.

Front Court

- The one word I would use to describe MGH is solid. He played extremely hard, played great defense, and he really got out well on the break and scored some nice buckets. No surprise there, he has always been great in transition, but in order to take the next step forward as the undeniable team leader and one of the better players in the conference, he has to get better in the half-court setting. You can tell that he really improved his conditioning over the summer, and it helped him finish some of the opportunities in the lane that he used to miss, but he's got to become more consistent with his J to take the next step.

- Sampson is long and lean for sure, but he is sneaky athletic. You don't see him jumping out of the gym, but he has a knack for getting the rebound, and he finished through a lot of contact in Cox and Mitchell. He is a part of the Gold team (TJ, TJ, Stephens, Sampson, Cox) in the first quarter that I thought looked so good. That team played through him in the high-post, and they looked great. He made a number of excellent passes to Cox on the block, and he also looked really good at scoring off of the bounce. Just my opinion, but he seems a lot like MGH to me in that he will quietly get you 12-14 ppg but he has the ability to really dominate on the boards.

- Demarco Cox's nickname is the Bear and for good reason. The dude is HUGE...Yes, he is only 6'8 but the guy is very wide, but he is surprisingly nimble. He is the anti-Daniel Miller in that he really uses his size great in the low-post. Once he gets the ball on the block, he is going to get a nice look if he isn't double-teamed. With his broad shoulders, he was getting the baby hook off against everyone (Miller, Sampson, Lammers, and Gueye). As I mentioned in one of the tweets, he is also a great passer. In the last session, he and Mitchell played together and they had a number of nice looks to each other.

- Charles Mitchell has brought a bit of an edge to this team that hasn't there been lately. Our fans are going to love this guy. He's not the best athlete and he is not going blow anyone with his explosiveness, but he is 110% hustle and heart and he played the entire game with a smile on his face. You can tell that all the guys love playing with him. You can hear him talking to his teammates and pumping them up, and his consistent motor rubs off on the others. Look for Chuck to come off of the bench and give our guys an instant spark.

- Gueye and Lammers are both very interesting freshmen. Both have to improve their bodies and get bigger, but I thought that both appeared to be above average athletes for such tall guys. Lammers will be a 5 throughout his career, and a lot like D. Miller, his defensive ability is well ahead of his offense. He changed shots, even blocked a couple, and did well on the boards. Offensively, he seemed to be a pretty good passer, but he is really uncomfortable trying to score on any of our bigs with his back to the basket. I think that he is better when he is able to work in space than on the block.

- Gueye could very well turn out to be the still of the class. His athletic ability jumps out at you, he is very looooong. All kidding aside, his wing span is jaw dropping, and once he gets bigger, he is going to be an absolutely great defender underneath and on the perimeter. He is being groomed as a stretch four, and he had a number of pick-and-pops that were beautiful. Once is able to consistently stick those, he will be hard to defend. He is a match-up problem waiting to happen, but he has got to get bigger and stronger so that he can do a better job of defending the post. He got abused by Mitchell and Cox inside.

Let me know if you have any questions....

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Sorry for the long post.. Please excuse any typos!!

Just a final brain dump / general thoughts from the scrimmage:

Back Court:

- Jorgensen seemed to be moving very well, I saw no issue with his knee. He looked great pushing the ball up on the break looking for easy opportunities. He only played two periods, and his team won both. Without a doubt, the ball movement was much better with him at the point and Tadric at the off-guard spot than with any other combination. Again, I'm not going to get too excited over one scrimmage, but I think that their ability to beat their man off of the dribble and pass or finish will open up our offense.

- Thought that Tadric's floor game was impressive. I've said it before that I felt like he would affect the game for us in a number of ways, and that is much of what I saw on Saturday. He is a good ball handler and he's really good at feeding the post. Not only did the offense run more smoothly, but I thought he showed a good understanding of when to look for his shot and when to pass. That confidence is a big thing with freshmen. Initially I thought it might take a few games for his to win the starting job, but I think that he starts against Georgia.

- Perimeter shooting was one of the few negatives that I saw today. As a whole, the team didn't shoot well. We got a lot of good looks from the running our sets, in rhythm off of kick-outs and in good form, but they weren't falling. Perhaps it was just an off-shooting day or legs were tired, but I was hoping to see us knock more down. That's not meant as indictment on Buckets, the whole team was off, but I had heard that he had a great summer, so I was hoping to see him knock a few down from deep.

- Speaking of Bolden, I thought he did a great job of playing under control, and he did a good job of taking care of the ball throughout the scrimmage. He was steady, but he didn't really flash any drastic improvement. Much to the dismay of myself (and my boy Pea), he still shot that wild *** runner of his a few times. Please, stop and pull-up from the free-throw line and stop shooting that runner CB!! LOL

- Josh Heath: Our added PG Depth is another one of the things that stood out to me. While Josh isn't getting a lot pub, I thought he looked solid out there running the team. I haven't looked closely at the box score, but it seemed like he played considerably more than Heyward. He didn't turn the ball over, and he did a decent job of getting us into our offense. He is not as proficient at pushing the ball up the court as Jorgensen, and he is not a threat to score, but he doesn't turn it over and I thought he got our guys the ball where they had good lucks. For the first time in a long while, I think that we have a couple of "true" PG's in Jorgensen and Heath, and to a lesser degree Heyward.

- Heyward: Maybe it was just my eye, but I thought Corey got lost in the mix in a little. Only my estimation, but he seems to be the third PG at the moment. Jorgensen is the clear starter (IMO) and while Corey does a good job of taking care of it and distributing the ball, I felt like Heath was the better PG on Saturday. In order for Corey to find some minutes this year, he is going to have to become more aggressive offensively. With that said, Corey showed that he has the ability to finish in the lane, and he took a few three's that were open that is capable of making. Don't get me wrong, Corey will play this year, but it is going to be a challenge for BG to find him some minutes, and I feel like they will come between the 1 & 2.

Front Court

- The one word I would use to describe MGH is solid. He played extremely hard, played great defense, and he really got out well on the break and scored some nice buckets. No surprise there, he has always been great in transition, but in order to take the next step forward as the undeniable team leader and one of the better players in the conference, he has to get better in the half-court setting. You can tell that he really improved his conditioning over the summer, and it helped him finish some of the opportunities in the lane that he used to miss, but he's got to become more consistent with his J to take the next step.

- Sampson is long and lean for sure, but he is sneaky athletic. You don't see him jumping out of the gym, but he has a knack for getting the rebound, and he finished through a lot of contact in Cox and Mitchell. He is a part of the Gold team (TJ, TJ, Stephens, Sampson, Cox) in the first quarter that I thought looked so good. That team played through him in the high-post, and they looked great. He made a number of excellent passes to Cox on the block, and he also looked really good at scoring off of the bounce. Just my opinion, but he seems a lot like MGH to me in that he will quietly get you 12-14 ppg but he has the ability to really dominate on the boards.

- Demarco Cox's nickname is the Bear and for good reason. The dude is HUGE...Yes, he is only 6'8 but the guy is very wide, but he is surprisingly nimble. He is the anti-Daniel Miller in that he really uses his size great in the low-post. Once he gets the ball on the block, he is going to get a nice look if he isn't double-teamed. With his broad shoulders, he was getting the baby hook off against everyone (Miller, Sampson, Lammers, and Gueye). As I mentioned in one of the tweets, he is also a great passer. In the last session, he and Mitchell played together and they had a number of nice looks to each other.

- Charles Mitchell has brought a bit of an edge to this team that hasn't there been lately. Our fans are going to love this guy. He's not the best athlete and he is not going blow anyone with his explosiveness, but he is 110% hustle and heart and he played the entire game with a smile on his face. You can tell that all the guys love playing with him. You can hear him talking to his teammates and pumping them up, and his consistent motor rubs off on the others. Look for Chuck to come off of the bench and give our guys an instant spark.

- Gueye and Lammers are both very interesting freshmen. Both have to improve their bodies and get bigger, but I thought that both appeared to be above average athletes for such tall guys. Lammers will be a 5 throughout his career, and a lot like D. Miller, his defensive ability is well ahead of his offense. He changed shots, even blocked a couple, and did well on the boards. Offensively, he seemed to be a pretty good passer, but he is really uncomfortable trying to score on any of our bigs with his back to the basket. I think that he is better when he is able to work in space than on the block.

- Gueye could very well turn out to be the still of the class. His athletic ability jumps out at you, he is very looooong. All kidding aside, his wing span is jaw dropping, and once he gets bigger, he is going to be an absolutely great defender underneath and on the perimeter. He is being groomed as a stretch four, and he had a number of pick-and-pops that were beautiful. Once is able to consistently stick those, he will be hard to defend. He is a match-up problem waiting to happen, but he has got to get bigger and stronger so that he can do a better job of defending the post. He got abused by Mitchell and Cox inside.

Let me know if you have any questions....

WOW. Awesome review. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

I don't want to overreact to a scrimmage against ourselves, but I really like what I'm hearing about it. I have multiple friends who went to the scrimmage and said they've increased their expectations

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In follow-up to my previous post.

- Starting 5: Jorgensen, Jackson, MGH, Sampson, and Cox (Mitchell, Bolden first two off of the bench)

- No surprise here, our interior play will carry the team. IMO, we are stronger on the inside than last year by a larger margin than expected. Mitchell and Cox both bring something to the paint that wasn't there last year. They are both play very hard and are bruisers, and Sampson seems to be a perfect compliment to them both.

- Must approve our ability to knock down the 3 or teams will zone us to death. We will be able to score against most M-T-M defenses. Who will emerge here? Stephens, Bolden, etc?