GT @ Ole Miss

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
I hate that we are playing this game.

My favorite teams are TECH, then Mississippi State, then Ole Miss. I'm always conflicted when we play the Rebs; I always root for Tech, but is just seems off somehow. It is even worse when we play MSU; how can I not root for the Good Dogs (my Dad's old team)? Tech always come s out on top but I have a hard time getting the right mixture of hatred and contempt that I have in, say a Ugag or Puke game.

This, of course, is why I'm not going to the game. I may not even watch it on tv.

Btw, those of you with recent high school grads mind my advice to parents: never let them go to Ole Miss for a football weekend or to Colorado during ski season. If you do they will go to one of those schools. Period. I have evidence on this.
It's has been hard for me to get to Atlanta for gameday on a regular basis in the past with my own kids attending Ole Miss and my UGAg wife having separation issues. So we started going to see the Rebels play 4-5 times a year and spending the day with the kids. Ole Miss has become my second team by default. Oxford and The Grove is an unparalleled experience. In fact, we're talking of retiring in Oxford we like it so much.

I've been a few times to Starkville also - the wife dragged me there last year for the bulldogs match-up. Headache city, I was miserable. Starkville and their damn cowbells are trash.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m anticipating rolling solo for this. Is there a Swarm tailgate planned for this game or do you just roll into The Grove wearing white and gold and start getting beer and food tossed at you in every direction from Ole Miss fans? I’ve never been but I hear it’s the most picturesque tailgating scene in college football.

Gonna book an Airbnb east of Oxford I think and probably drive in both Friday evening and Saturday.
I'd be surprised if you get called out at all. The Grove is great and the fans know it and keep it clean and under control. Anyone acting the fool like that is likely going to be addressed by their own group.

The Grove party is as big an event as the game. Often the stadium isn't even remotely full because fans opt to stay in the Grove, drink swill, and watch it on big screens scattered throughout the tents.

I admit I am not wearing GT gear at those games though. But from what I have seen, you are far way more likely to have forced food and drink on you than verbal assault.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I'd be surprised if you get called out at all. The Grove is great and the fans know it and keep it clean and under control. Anyone acting the fool like that is likely going to be addressed by their own group.

The Grove party is as big an event as the game. Often the stadium isn't even remotely full because fans opt to stay in the Grove, drink swill, and watch it on big screens scattered throughout the tents.

I admit I am not wearing GT gear at those games though. But from what I have seen, you are far way more likely to have forced food and drink on you than verbal assault.
Sorry I meant free beer and food getting tossed at you in a good sense. Their fans in Bobby Dodd were very nice last year and I've heard they are very hospitable, especially considering the horror stories you hear about SEC fanbases.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
It's pretty bad... to be in Oxford? North of 500 a night.
It’s a football weekend in a great venue. $500/night is pretty damn good, in fact it’s close to a steal. If you’re there Friday and Saturday night you’re dropping maybe $2k on the entire trip for you and wife, $3k if you have to fly and rent a car. I’d have thought the inconvenience of getting to Oxford would be a much bigger deal than the price tag.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
It’s a football weekend in a great venue. $500/night is pretty damn good, in fact it’s close to a steal. If you’re there Friday and Saturday night you’re dropping maybe $2k on the entire trip for you and wife, $3k if you have to fly and rent a car. I’d have thought the inconvenience of getting to Oxford would be a much bigger deal than the price tag.
$500+ to only sleep is nuts. We stayed in a 3 million dollar home at Seaside for $650 a night. $500 a night gets you a room in someone's home in Oxford with OTHER PEOPLE THERE. SEC fans are literally the definition of stupid. I'll just sleep in my car 🤣.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Reserved my Airbnb in downtown Tupelo for about $170 total. Hour drive to Oxford but definitely beats out Oxford prices.

Txt the address to @Techster . He'll pick me up and will bring the snacks and ice cream. He knows what brand to get. ;)

Ice Cream Food GIF

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It's has been hard for me to get to Atlanta for gameday on a regular basis in the past with my own kids attending Ole Miss and my UGAg wife having separation issues. So we started going to see the Rebels play 4-5 times a year and spending the day with the kids. Ole Miss has become my second team by default. Oxford and The Grove is an unparalleled experience. In fact, we're talking of retiring in Oxford we like it so much.

I've been a few times to Starkville also - the wife dragged me there last year for the bulldogs match-up. Headache city, I was miserable. Starkville and their damn cowbells are trash.
You are right. The Grave is spectacular and Starkville is such a pit that you wonder how Mullen could build a respectable football program there. But he did. Btw, I'd visit Oxford in August before I retired there; it gets a trifle hot in central Mississippi.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
You are right. The Grave is spectacular and Starkville is such a pit that you wonder how Mullen could build a respectable football program there. But he did. Btw, I'd visit Oxford in August before I retired there; it gets a trifle hot in central Mississippi.
I already know. Oxford is always a slight bit cooler than here in the Jackson metro area where I live.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
right. This is why GT fans are considered bad travelers. That's a stupid way to spend $3,000 unless you have "stupid" money to spend. There are many fans whose lives revolve around and are defined by a college football experience. Georgia Tech people are smarter than that.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I’m anticipating rolling solo for this. Is there a Swarm tailgate planned for this game or do you just roll into The Grove wearing white and gold and start getting beer and food tossed at you in every direction from Ole Miss fans? I’ve never been but I hear it’s the most picturesque tailgating scene in college football.

Gonna book an Airbnb east of Oxford I think and probably drive in both Friday evening and Saturday.
Ole Miss alum here.

Honestly, you have it right, but not in the way you're thinking.

Show up to The Grove in your Georgia tech gear, start walking around and saying hi to people, and people will start throwing food and beer at you, but what they will be doing is offering you some of their food and their beer and inviting you into their tent to have a sit and shoot the s***.

I understand that I am biased, but there's not a cooler, friendlier, chilled out good time then tailgating in the Grove.

If you're a football fan it's one of those things you should experience once in your life. Ole Miss loves our football, but we're not mean about it. We understand that football is an excuse for a party, and not vice versa.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Ole Miss alum here.

Honestly, you have it right, but not in the way you're thinking.

Show up to The Grove in your Georgia tech gear, start walking around and saying hi to people, and people will start throwing food and beer at you, but what they will be doing is offering you some of their food and their beer and inviting you into their tent to have a sit and shoot the s***.

I understand that I am biased, but there's not a cooler, friendlier, chilled out good time then tailgating in the Grove.

If you're a football fan it's one of those things you should experience once in your life. Ole Miss loves our football, but we're not mean about it. We understand that football is an excuse for a party, and not vice versa.
Are they nice because we are NO threat? How are State folks treated? lol

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I saw the Dawgs get blown out in 2016 (Kirby's first year.) I stayed in a cheap hotel in Tupelo. It seemed like it took at least 1.5 hours to get to Oxford. Parking was an adventure. We parked on some neighborhood street at least two miles from the stadium. It hadn't rained in 3 weeks and the temperature must have been 98 degrees. The Grove that day reminded me of a rich people version of the Chattahoochee River race in 1979. It was sweaty, sticky and there were a lot of intoxicated people. But the thing I remember most on the logistics side was on the drive from Tupelo to Oxford there was absolutely no homes, no people or anything else on that highway. There may have been one small town (on the outskirts of Oxford) where I bought some chicken fingers. Otherwise that road made Highway 16 (vintage 1975) look like I 285. No wonder when someone once asked Coach Bobby Dodd why he never scheduled the Mississippi schools, his reply was simple. "Why in the hell would we want to go to Mississippi?" When you travel down that road, you will agree with Coach Dodd.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I saw the Dawgs get blown out in 2016 (Kirby's first year.) I stayed in a cheap hotel in Tupelo. It seemed like it took at least 1.5 hours to get to Oxford. Parking was an adventure. We parked on some neighborhood street at least two miles from the stadium. It hadn't rained in 3 weeks and the temperature must have been 98 degrees. The Grove that day reminded me of a rich people version of the Chattahoochee River race in 1979. It was sweaty, sticky and there were a lot of intoxicated people. But the thing I remember most on the logistics side was on the drive from Tupelo to Oxford there was absolutely no homes, no people or anything else on that highway. There may have been one small town (on the outskirts of Oxford) where I bought some chicken fingers. Otherwise that road made Highway 16 (vintage 1975) look like I 285. No wonder when someone once asked Coach Bobby Dodd why he never scheduled the Mississippi schools, his reply was simple. "Why in the hell would we want to go to Mississippi?" When you travel down that road, you will agree with Coach Dodd.
Yeah we ended up paying $200 for a parking spot close to the grove to avoid the long walk. The drive back and forth will be boring but hoping it’s shorter (we’d seen 57 minutes)