GT now no. 10 in Baseball America

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I would imagine most of you are on this list but if you're not here's a note from Coach Ramsey:
To the GT Baseball Family

I want to take a minute to thank all of those who came out and supported our program last week. What a week it was!

We started out by beating Georgia (and clinching the season series 2-1) at SunTrust in front of almost 20,000 fans, in by far the largest attended college baseball game of the season. For those who attended, your support was definitely felt! After that huge win, the 8th ranked Jackets took down Clemson 2 out of 3 games to remain at the top of the ACC Coastal division.

Saturday we were able to recognize many of our former players, and I was told by many that this was one of the biggest gatherings of GT Baseball alumni that we have had in a while. A few of those pictures are at the end of this message. We vow to put together more of these opportunities! Our culture feeds off former players pouring back into our current players. Those of you that played in this program know that when being recruited by GT, you looked up to the stars of the past. We want to continue to welcome all of you back in whatever capacity that may be, because our success with you alongside is even more special.

In addition, all of our players have commented on the number of fans at games recently, their enthusiasm at these games, and they are convinced it is giving them a huge boost at crucial moments. We all cannot thank you enough for showing up, being loud, and we hope to return the favor by hosting a regional this June. Russ Chandler is one of the best venues in college baseball, but it also needs to be known as one of the toughest places to come in and win a series.

The series win over Clemson makes seven consecutive conference series wins, something that has never been done in program history! While this season still has so much ahead of us, I think it’s important to slow down and appreciate what we are experiencing with this team. We have been down several starters at times (both pitching and hitting/defense) but continue to find ways to grind out games, battle together as a unit and stack up wins. Coach Hall continues to lead this team by putting players in the best positions to help us win, and the players have responded to the plans our staff has put together with unwavering trust.

One of the themes of this season has been GriT, which continues to weave its way into our program’s DNA. As a staff, we have pushed our players in practice to raise both personal and team standards. Providing structure, intensity and encouragement in our training environment is paying huge dividends. We have to peel Luke Waddell off the field during batting practice to come hit, because he continues to dive all over the field challenging his teammates to hit the ball by him. Connor Thomas and Xzavion Curry are always the first two guys to volunteer for bunt defense reps. Many of our younger players that will shape our future success are constantly being served and mentored by seniors like Robert Winborne, who just wants to fill whatever role he can, even if it is getting waters between innings for our starting pitcher/catcher. One thing we are looking at is designing a “State Champs/ GriT” shirt that I will send more info about, but please let me or Nick Scherer know if any of you would like to us to order one for you. I think it would be pretty special to have supporters, family members, etc., wearing the same shirt as the players as we head down the stretch with sights on Omaha.

Lastly, I want to pass along a link to an article I’m sure several of you have seen about Gregg Popovich and the San Antionio Spurs dynasty. It reflects so many of the values we are looking to instill in our players (minus a love for fine wine), and confirms to me that fundraising to have our players able to eat steaks together after winning a series or refuel with more quality ingredients before games is the right move.

READ: SECRET TEAM DINNERS BUILT DYNASTY

Please stay in touch with us, feel free to ask questions about what we are building here, and we look forward to seeing all of you at Russ Chandler for these final 7 *regular season* home games.

THWG,

James Ramsey

Assistant Coach, GT Baseball

[email protected]

gtrower

Helluva Engineer