Film Room GT NCSU Series 1

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
I rewatched the game. It truly was comical to watch their safeties follow the tail motion. Every. Single. Time.

bcaff

Jolly Good Fellow
That was a great job by JT changing the play. His understanding of this offense is amazing for a RS Sophomore

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Re: the second play and two guys blocking the same guy

We don't teach it as an "option the defensive end", we teach it as "option the first guy ON or OUTSIDE the offensive tackle."
This makes it easier on the offensive linemen and quarterback, as they don't have to identify what a guy's position is - they just need to know where he is.

.............................S....................................S....................
...................................................................................
.C.................B...........B...........B..........B..................C
..............................E........N......E.....................................

X.............................LT...LG...C...RG...RT..............................Z
..............................A...............Q................A.............................
................................................B................................................

With this alignment, the E on our right side is now aligned where a 3-tech defensive tackle in a 4-3 defense is aligned: between the guard and tackle. He's no longer the dive option man....the outside backer is now the next guy ON or OUTSIDE the offensive tackle. So we treat him like we treat the defensive end...except now, he's got to run 6 yards to tackle the B-Back, so it's an almost automatic give.

The two guys are both blocking him because it's a "combo" block - one guy is supposed to rub off of him and get to the next level. It's what you usually see with a 3-tech defensive tackle in a 4-3.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This play is different than any other play in the game. In the other dives they both do not both hit/drive the E... This play they both attacked the E and drove him to his car. In the other option plays, they let the E man through, unless he attacked them (but they still tried to get "off" him to the second level).

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I'd have to see the rest to see the alignment for the End.
If the End is heads-up on the Offensive Tackle, then he's the dive read and our guy will try not to make contact with him (like you said, try to get "off" him to the second level). If the End is inside the Offensive Tackle, we treat him like a defensive tackle and will either:

a) combo block him (both guys hit him and then one will slide to the second level if he can), or
b) the OT alone will handle him - if we're getting good movement on him easily.

The play where JT is a little confused and pitches late is an interesting one here, because Joe lets the End - lined up inside of him - go completely. Now, there are two possibilities here:

a) Joe missed his assignment
b) It was a called double option with the BB intentionally taking the hit on from the End. The reason I think this could be it is because the safety fully rotated to the Trips side - this means there was only ONE guy on or outside the tackle - the outside backer. With no safety there, there's no "pitch read" at all. So you just treat it like a double/speed option, and now you've got an extra man on the playside even before you're optioning. I think JT was probably thinking "I'll pull and quick pitch" but the outside backer jumped between them too quickly so he held it.

I'm going with (b).

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Love the job the line has done the last few games. Hope they keep it up for at least if not 4 more games this year.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. This was a sloppy offensive series. We were lucky to score.

NC State gave us a different look, and we didn't really get it right at the start.

/

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Thanks LD for a great job. What impressed me most in that review was on the first 3rd down play (3rd and 1), Smelter blocked not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 different people on the play. Back when I played, I would have been happy to get my first block and then fall down in front of a second person and hopefully trip him.