GT,Navy, Army, Air Force,Citadel

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
I think that it would be prudent if all of the defensive coordinators could get together in the offseason and brainstorn and compare notes on what defenses work the best with opposing teams and how to prepare scouts teams in practice; For example so far this year Navy beat Houston that has a great passing offense and The Citadel although in the FBS is 9-0 and beat Samford last week which hung over 40 points on Miss. State

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think that it would be prudent if all of the defensive coordinators could get together in the offseason and brainstorn and compare notes on what defenses work the best with opposing teams and how to prepare scouts teams in practice; For example so far this year Navy beat Houston that has a great passing offense and The Citadel although in the FBS is 9-0 and beat Samford last week which hung over 40 points on Miss. State

Lol, I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure Air Force, Army, and Navy are going to collaborate like that. That'd be like saying: "Georgia Tech, Georgia, and Auburn should all get together in the off season and talk about what works and doesn't work and how to prepare for their opponents."

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
Lol, I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure Air Force, Army, and Navy are going to collaborate like that. That'd be like saying: "Georgia Tech, Georgia, and Auburn should all get together in the off season and talk about what works and doesn't work and how to prepare for their opponents."
Yea but the advantage is they are not common opponents and rarely play each other ; they all run a similar offense that does not pass much ; obviously the other defense coordinators have a better plan in stopping these air raid offenses maybe Roof could learn something

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Yea but the advantage is they are not common opponents and rarely play each other ; they all run a similar offense that does not pass much ; obviously the other defense coordinators have a better plan in stopping these air raid offenses maybe Roof could learn something
Army, Air Force and Navy play each other every year.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What this brings to mind is how do these teams seem to field a credible defense when we can't? Coach Johnson also keeps saying how good Dukes' defense is. These teams aren't getting four star factory types. What the heck are they doing that we aren't? And why can't we study what they are doing and copy it?

Why use these teams? Why not just watch (ex) the Duke vs VT game film last week to see how lowly Duke managed to slow down VT? We shouldn't give a crap what Army, Navy, Air Force, and the Marines are doing and the Citadel shouldn't enter serious football discussion.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What this brings to mind is how do these teams seem to field a credible defense when we can't? Coach Johnson also keeps saying how good Dukes' defense is. These teams aren't getting four star factory types. What the heck are they doing that we aren't? And why can't we study what they are doing and copy it?
These are good questions. I'd say it's a combo of several things.

• Our biggest weaknesses this year are at DT and CB. We have several players there who could make a difference with another year of development. DT should be, imho, recruiting target #1.

• Puke has looked good on D so far. Now look at the rest of their schedule. My guess is that they won't look quite as good in a few weeks.

• We probably have a few players out of position because we don't have credible replacements. You don't think Roof hasn't been thinking of moving Gray to LB, for instance? I'm sure this has been a topic of conversation for some time and I bet he will move next year, unless Jordan-Swilling shows as well as people think. Right now, however, he has to stay where he is.

• And, of course, we have played some decent offensive football teams this year. The last three don't seem all that hot, however. VT is the best of the group and they aren't worldbeaters on O. We'll see if we can do better next week.

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe the other school's have a better scout team prep than GT does ; If they all run similar offenses and practice against the flex option in spring practice and throughout the season they clearly are preparing in a different way when they play a team that throws 90% of the time ; I would have no problem if I was Roof contacting Navy's Def coordinator and comparing notes on how they prepare for a game like Houston; I read all of the time college Offensive coordinators are invited to a certain school to learn how to copy their offense

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I just wish we would give some indication of having done anything to prepare to play D during the off season. I swear our D looks the same as the D that was underwhelming the last two years. Why not send Roof to Michigan to talk their new DC, formerly of BC?