Film Room GT Miami 2014 Series 1

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That first play is a good illustration of how an OL can still have a positive impact even if he doesn't quite do his job correctly. Shaq, I'm guessing, is supposed to get inside leverage on the DT to open the middle up for Laskey. He can't do it, however, as the DT beats him to the inside and gets his hands on Laskey. The good thing Shaq does, as you astutely point out, is pushes the pile forward for a good 5 yards after contact.

On that very same play, Burden has a clean release off the LOS, but fails to get the MLB on the ground. However, in making the mike avoid his block to the right, he effectively takes him out of the play as Laskey takes the ball to the left side of the two men.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Good point re: Burden, DCS. Slowing a guy down by even a few tenths of a second can mean the difference between a no-gainer and a long run.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone know what the reverse flip to Perkins is called? I guess it's just a new wrinkle on the counter that hits a little quicker since there is no handoff.

It was a great set up play for rocket, as it kept the defenders at home for an extra beat. Brilliant play call sequence there.

Declinometer

Banned
Anyone know what the reverse flip to Perkins is called? I guess it's just a new wrinkle on the counter that hits a little quicker since there is no handoff.

It was a great set up play for rocket, as it kept the defenders at home for an extra beat. Brilliant play call sequence there.

Great play well executed. Going to give defensive coordinators something to think about. Let's run it with Synjin to the right and let him throw it. Will have to delete this post in 10 minutes!

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Re: "hitting the defensive end" on the triple option

What we're seeing is our offensive tackles running a "loop" scheme; instead of "veering" inside the defensive end, they attempt to loop around him to the outside and then seal the linebacker at the second level. Notice that this is what happens on this play: Griff manages to take out (or at least slow down) Perryman. Generally, the offensive tackle will opt to loop when a defensive end is aligned head-up, rather than outside.

Defensive ends are coached to recognize this scheme and do everything in their power to disrupt the tackle's path by getting their hands on him. If they can slow down the tackle, they will have a good chance of muddying up the quarterback's read. The traditional adjustment for a defensive end recognizing the loop scheme is this: slow down loop, then take quarterback. On his fake pitch play later, JT burns the defensive end who doesn't stay sufficiently committed to the QB v. a loop.

So we're not trying to hit the defensive end, the defensive end is trying to hit us. If we run out too far to avoid this contact, we're no longer able to effectively seal the middle linebacker. It's a fun little battle within the battle to watch.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Re: the triple that you start at 6:10 and the one immediately prior to that (the long Laskey run).

You noted on the long run that Laskey took a different hole than on the one right before that one. That's a good observation. Contrast the long run with the one at 6:10 and you'll see why.

The BB's sole job on the triple option is to read the first guy on the playside of the center. If that DT is working outside, then the BB has to duck under the block. If he's working inside or staying in the same spot, the BB stays on his track on the guard's outside hip. On this play, the triple option at 6:10, Mason has to push the DT out, so Laskey makes the right move and comes under the block.

Unfortunately, our left guard isn't able to effectively "scoop" block the backside DT. That guy is able to make Braun miss him by staying high and back, causing Braun to fall on his face instead of making contact. He's therefore sitting and waiting. If Braun can make contact, that 2 yard gain is a 6 yarder.

Thanks for this post! Love these.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
@stylee @Longestday Great job guys, I'll just add an old image I made for this topic:

5s2yIpa.jpg

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not an expert... I just finished series 2. There were 2 QB follows or midline on the second series. I called it a QB follow...

Did you see any midlines in the game? I think the 1st long Days run might have been a midline (the one with the counter motion ABack move)?

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
I couldn't tell, I was watching the game on my phone in a pool. Check to see what the play-side OG does and see if it looks like #70 in this play:

This is what a give on the Midline looks like:

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Re: the triple that you start at 6:10 and the one immediately prior to that (the long Laskey run).

You noted on the long run that Laskey took a different hole than on the one right before that one. That's a good observation. Contrast the long run with the one at 6:10 and you'll see why.

The BB's sole job on the triple option is to read the first guy on the playside of the center. If that DT is working outside, then the BB has to duck under the block. If he's working inside or staying in the same spot, the BB stays on his track on the guard's outside hip. On this play, the triple option at 6:10, Mason has to push the DT out, so Laskey makes the right move and comes under the block.

Unfortunately, our left guard isn't able to effectively "scoop" block the backside DT. That guy is able to make Braun miss him by staying high and back, causing Braun to fall on his face instead of making contact. He's therefore sitting and waiting. If Braun can make contact, that 2 yard gain is a 6 yarder.

Thanks for this post! Love these.

Careful with that analysis; it didn't sit too well in another thread.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
Is this a midline? No Abacks blocking "in the hole"... but the DT is left unblocked.

Yes, that is a Midline with Twirl motion. I believe we would call that "Spread 10 Twirl" assuming CPJ hasn't changed the play numbers.

The play from the ACCCG is Midline with the A-Back ?Blast? and we are in some kind of Over Flex formation (both WRs on the same side and Tyler Melton is ineligible).

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Man, that midline is beautiful. Devine dominates his guy at the point of attack and then manages to stop a second defender from getting across. Shaq flies downfield and attacks Perryman. Synjyn looks like a seasoned vet with his angle.