GT @ Mercer

Squints

Helluva Engineer
So since our 4 game losing streak we're 7-1. Do you think we would have won that one game if the we still had the proverbial wheels that fell off?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
T6 3-3.

Staff night pitching.
Gooden ok - 2IP, 1 ER, 35-19 54% strikes.
Phillips ok - 2 IP, 1 ER, 33-18 55% strikes.
Shelton not good. .2 IP, 1ER, 12-5 42% strikes.
Gorst awful. Came in and walked first two to walk in Shelton's ER. 18-8 45% so far.
We get to keep playing Russian Roulette with pitchers ......

Get the trend? Our non-prime time pitching is not going to get it done in the ACC or NCAAs.

But I'm glad we are playing lots of pitchers and wish we had started this earlier in the year. Need to develop pitchers for next year.

I really like what Hall did last night. We may not have any depth in pitching, but he had a quick hook...... some planned but some not - Stanton 4 pitch pull was an example ........ I think this is the best way to develop what we have. Put them out there and let them sink or swim. Some swim.
Gorst was pulled following inning.
Parr came in a pitched 1.0 innings (the sixth). Two hits and a throw out at home. But he threw strikes 17-12 (71%)
Pitts comes in pitches the seventh. 3-8 (38%) Walked a batter who was then erased on a DP.
Stanton comes in for the first time - pulled after walking a batter 0-4 (0%)
Datoc comes in pop up and then a walk. He is pulled 9-5 (56%)
Zac Attack, our best reliever, comes in and gives up a grand slam. But he is a great pitcher. SO, walk, HR then we get out of the 8th with a picked off runner. The ninth was an adventure with 2 hits, but ended up 41-25 (61%)

Conclusions
  • Our team never gives up and can score.
  • Our defense is very good sometimes - no errors and 2 DPs (the pitchers walk batters so we can turn them)
  • Our non-prime time pitching is not going to get it done in the ACC or NCAAs. We are going to have to bludgeon people to death in some games - and play great D.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure the debate matters much anymore Squints. Wouldn't you agree that we kinda know what kind of team we have this year? We have some nice pieces....our defense is often excellent when we have our best 8 out there, our hitting can be very good. Our pitching is our weakness, as we have two solid starters and one solid reliever, and that's pretty much it. Is there anyone amongst us who thinks we will win a Regional on the road against some power SEC team?

Could the wheels fall off again? Heck, I doubt it, but I don't know. I certainly never saw this team playing as poorly as it did for that 4 game stretch. Our win streak is very nice, but is anchored by come-from-behind wins against teams with RPI's of 100 or more ( we could just as easily have been 5-3 in that stretch). On the other hand, there is no denying this team has some real gumption, some intangible strengths that allow it to keep winning these come from behind games....the number of times we have done it this year is truly amazing and worthy of praise.

But, with our pitching, do you see us getting past the Regional stage? We are as dangerous as any team out there for two games (King and Gold pitching). After that, we are an RPI 100 team....(especially until Kel comes back all the way).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So since our 4 game losing streak we're 7-1. Do you think we would have won that one game if the we still had the proverbial wheels that fell off?

LOL. The wheels were off. Since BC swept us, they have been swept by UNC and VT. The wheels are back on, albeit against weak competition. This team never gives up which is all you can ask.

Great win. Road wins are credited as 1.4 games in the RPI while road losses are .7 games. With that win we now have a .5808 RPI and are 19th. The move in RPI shows how compressed the RPI numbers are and how much a single game can change things . We have to sweep Pitt at home ..... or life goes on. (See ACC standings post)

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
New going in to the season that pitching would be the big question... And it is ... Need bats to stay awake and pitching to rise.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure the debate matters much anymore Squints. Wouldn't you agree that we kinda know what kind of team we have this year? We have some nice pieces....our defense is often excellent when we have our best 8 out there, our hitting can be very good. Our pitching is our weakness, as we have two solid starters and one solid reliever, and that's pretty much it. Is there anyone amongst us who thinks we will win a Regional on the road against some power SEC team?

Could the wheels fall off again? Heck, I doubt it, but I don't know. I certainly never saw this team playing as poorly as it did for that 4 game stretch. Our win streak is very nice, but is anchored by come-from-behind wins against teams with RPI's of 100 or more ( we could just as easily have been 5-3 in that stretch). On the other hand, there is no denying this team has some real gumption, some intangible strengths that allow it to keep winning these come from behind games....the number of times we have done it this year is truly amazing and worthy of praise.

But, with our pitching, do you see us getting past the Regional stage? We are as dangerous as any team out there for two games (King and Gold pitching). After that, we are an RPI 100 team....(especially until Kel comes back all the way).

I'm just busting your chops. I've maintained since the beginning of the year that we'd finish 7-10 in the conference and make it to regionals but probably not farther. Though I do think we're better than we have been since probably 2011. But I've also said that unless you're a team that won 40+ regular season games in a good conference then expecting to get to the super regionals is unrealistic.