GT loses 3 assistant strength coaches (per ajc)

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Is interesting to see the turnover of staff during the odd season. Looks like we are in midst of turn over in the strength coaching staff. Wonder if these positions are being replaced or are we reworking our budget for a bigger name within that department to work alongside of the head strength coach or going to shift some of those funds to allocate them differently within the position coaches on the field. I am not certain. Any thoughts on the “big picture” of what’s in the works?

slugboy

Staff member
I can’t squat 396. Dang, that’s impressive.

From the outside looking in, I doubt that this is a funds shifting thing—one is going home to Notre Dame, one is going home to Louisiana, and one more coach. It’s the season for moving.

This is totally a strength coach quote—I’m guessing he’s either got an F-250, or some sort of huge SUV:

Deleted member 2897

Funny how DMo’s loss was made to be a massive deal, and some even considered it to be a sign the program was deteriorating from the inside. But losing strength coaches is considered no big deal. Zach Reed has as much respect as anybody within the program.

He certainly would be one of the last guys I’d ever argue with or try and pick a fight with. 🤣

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
He certainly would be one of the last guys I’d ever argue with or try and pick a fight with. 🤣
If you’d ever seen him in person do work in the weight room it would back that opinion up even more. He’s one of the largest and strongest humans I’ve ever seen. Ironically though, his personality is nothing like his physical appearance. He’s also one of the nicest and most pleasant humans I’ve ever talked to. On top of that he’s a huge nerd lol. He goes to ComicCon regularly.

I’m sure they’ll find adequate replacements, but Reed especially is a meaningful loss. Just like DMo, losing a supportive voice in favor of a new one can be harmful to some guys and beneficial to others. Coach Lew is doing good work in the weight room and practice field. I hope the news guys that get brought in are just as good.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I blame CGC and this new culture. None of our coaches and players want to be here. 404...yadayadayada.....they don't believe in the direction of the program..yadayadayada.

Did I get that right?
Absolutely - could not agree more.

The CGC culture of accountability and results does not work with the Paul Johnson culture of "just show up and you are good". So its only natural that players and coaches who are held to account choose to flee to less demanding environments. And if that explanation doesn't work for you, @Jacketman99 then maybe you should look in the mirror instead of blaming the current coaching staff.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Absolutely - could not agree more.

The CGC culture of accountability and results does not work with the Paul Johnson culture of "just show up and you are good". So its only natural that players and coaches who are held to account choose to flee to less demanding environments. And if that explanation doesn't work for you, @Jacketman99 then maybe you should look in the mirror instead of blaming the current coaching staff.
I think you missed the sarcasm.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I guess Nick Saban has a horrible culture over there since he loses multiple assistant coaches each year.

Actually, the culture there isn't that "great." I work with a former Bama walk on and to hear him tell it, people play for the SOB because they like winning and all want to go to the NFL. He's known to be a real turd to work for.

On the flip side, if you get through your time there, he is completely loyal to you. "Culture" takes many forms, and more than one can be right. SAs just need to make sure the culture they choose fit them.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Funny how DMo’s loss was made to be a massive deal, and some even considered it to be a sign the program was deteriorating from the inside. But losing strength coaches is considered no big deal. Zach Reed has as much respect as anybody within the program.
I agree with this. We can't minimize the importance of the S&C program. It's huge especially during the off season. I don't think we lost these three coaches at once, but it's troubling to have this happen at this time of year. Hopefully we'll hire some good personnel, but one of those guys has been at Tech for over 10 years. Knowing the flow of our training system is important.