GT lacrosse 2020

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
Tough loss to Utah Valley last night 9-8. Just couldn't get any momentum going. On to BC tomorrow.

I didn't get to watch the stream but was genuinely shocked we lost. We've been so good, especially during the regular season, that losses are surprising. Hopefully it was just an off-night.

The good news is that we beat Boston College 15 - 4 this afternoon.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Nice 15-6 win at Arizona State last night. Were ranked #7 preseason, #24 week 1, but now unranked after an 0 fer start. Next Arizona, who is in a similar position, #19 preseason, #25 week 1, now unranked. Unfortunate to face 2 teams taking the biggest dive in the rankings out in AZ, but just need to win. Up next after Arizona: #1 USCe. Let's go!

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I don't think so Fred. You have Title IX considerations to start with. Then you look at the teams you would be joining in conference:

#1 Syracuse
#4 UNC
#8 UVA
#10 Notre Dame
#13 Duke

Those are the ACC teams that play D1 LAX and their current rankings. Although the other 5 teams would probably love to have us join them, not sure it would go to well.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
The ACC has built a nice contingent in the MCLA rankings though. As of 3/2 (before Tech's win vs #1 South Carolina), we have:

#5 (tie) GT
#7 FSU
#9 BC
#14 VT
#19 Clemson

#27 (tie) Pittsburgh (others receiving votes)

Not the same as the D1 rankings though...

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm entirely happy with being a top-flight MCLA program. The guys on the field are outstanding examples of true student-athletes - they represent Tech well on the field and in the classroom.
I like this. And agree. My question was really what is team/GTAA thinking. Quite a few years back, I recall reading a piece that led me to believe they felt exactly same way you do.... just wondering if anything has changed.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Basically, if you want a men's team, there will be a women's team. It is a non-revenue generating sport with decent size teams. While my Syracuse roots would love for us to have a D1 team, I don't think the GTAA's financial priorities allows us to go down that path any time soon. Similar question to whether we should add soccer.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I thought I heard that Tech was up 9-1 at the end of the half on TCU. But could be mistaken, since I'm watching on my phone which seems to have poor quality audio and no score overlay.