GT history

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't know why it would matter to them. The other schools we played in the SIAA were pretty much the same that we ended up playing in the Southern Conference, if I remember correctly
It befuddles me as well. I remember a few years ago they left out our SIAA championships in listing conference champs, which left us with less than the other school. It's just another pet peeve that goes along with other misinformation like the "new" idea that Rose Bowl field refers only to the football practice fields. The truth is that Rose Bowl Field refers to the land purchased with the Rose Bowl receipts and now includes tennis, track, football practice and baseball facilities.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Don't think the Gator was ever considered major, but I believe we were the first to win the four major bowls
Our long winning streak was in 51-52, but Oklahoma had a streak during that same time frame that was (I think) one game longer
Durham, NC was indeed the site of the Rose Bowl in one of the war years -- 43 or 44, I think

An interesting tidbit I heard years ago, although it is no longer valid, is that the 1956 Tech - Tenn game was considered the best college football game of all time. Sadly, Tech lost :(
I don't know if it was considered major, or by what definition that might be, but at that time there were only five bowl games -- Rose, Cotton, Sugar, Orange and Gator -- so it's not a stretch to considered it major. And doesn't it look quaint today when the bowl matchups really are nothing more than extending the season that in the early '50s there were just five? It was considered a plum to get GT. If I remembered my reading right when GT played Pitt in the Sugar Bowl in the days of segregation several Georgia legislators demanded Dodd not take the game. Dodd's answer, no doubt bulletproofed because of his status, was something on the order of he intended to have his team in New Orleans on New Year's Day.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if it was considered major, or by what definition that might be, but at that time there were only five bowl games -- Rose, Cotton, Sugar, Orange and Gator -- so it's not a stretch to considered it major. And doesn't it look quaint today when the bowl matchups really are nothing more than extending the season that in the early '50s there were just five? It was considered a plum to get GT. If I remembered my reading right when GT played Pitt in the Sugar Bowl in the days of segregation several Georgia legislators demanded Dodd not take the game. Dodd's answer, no doubt bulletproofed because of his status, was something on the order of he intended to have his team in New Orleans on New Year's Day.
A bit of research shows the Tech players themselves voted to play, as did just about anybody else not name guv or legislator. It was 1956. And while Pittsburgh was and should have been commended for having a black player -- a fullback/linebacker -- it should also be noted that he was the sole African-American on is roster. Wade Mitchell was the QB and he thought the whole dustup to be "silly". He was right as the game passed without incident. Players shouldn't be more grown up than grownups.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
sorry if this is a re post just wanted some info on GT history.

I know we have the oldest stadium, and have won more home cfb games than any other school. We have the Heisman and bobby Dodd coach of the year award named after our coaches. We were the first team in the south to win a national championship, and we have won 4 national championships. Is there anything else that someone could tell me about our history? What divisions were we in when we won our national championships? Is there any team that has won a national championship in more than 1 power 5 conference? Have we?

Don't know if Tech's stadium is the oldest, but Grant Field is the oldest continually used playing field among "Div I" college teams. If I'm correct (going completely from memory here), the stadium arrived a few years after the field was dedicated. The original grandstands were built by students on a slope approximately where the current East Stands sit, however the front row seats were set back about 20 or 30 yards away from the east sideline, so the fans were somewhat removed from the action. The horseshoe-shaped concrete stadium came later and was built by students, engineers and convicts. The stands were about the same height all the way around (no upper decks), but sometime in the 1950s / '60s they began building the upper decks. I know that the West Stands were finished around 1966, complete with an upper deck and new lower deck seating built atop pilings only a few feet above the original concrete seats. The North Stands consisted of aluminum bleachers; the track for track & field events went completely around the entire playing field and underneath the North Stands, so during competitions, sprinters actually disappeared from view of the spectators for a few moments. Long jumping, high jumping, etc., occurred in the semicircular space behind the south end zone. Underneath the North Stands was the weight room, and clustered nearby was the original Tech gym and swimming pool. Over near the steam whistle at the north edge of the West Stands was the old team meeting room/film room in addition to a small rec center, complete with pinball machines. The team cafeteria was underneath the East Stands. They replaced the original grass surface of Grant Field with Astroturf sometime in the early '70s.

Sometime between '78 and '82, the state-of-the-art Edge Athletic Center was constructed in the space between the North bleachers and the East Stands. At the end of the 1985 football season, the venerable old horseshoe (South Stands) was demolished and replaced by the Wardlaw Center, a multipurpose meeting center as well as a luxury viewing area for games. At first, there was no provision for seating in the south end zone, and if you look at footage from the late '80s -early 2000s, you'll notice the opposing teams entering / leaving the field via a portal directly behind the south goal post. (Tech goal posts were white for many years before they were finally painted yellow). Prior to the 1989 season, the hard, faded green Astroturf surface was replaced with an AllPro (?) artificial surface, which looked better and was much kinder on the players. The new playing surface was a brilliant green while the end zones were yellow. This surface didn't last long, as Atlanta won the bid for the '96 olympic games and Grant Field was to play host to soccer events. After about a two-decade absence, the grass surface returned to the Flats, though the noticeable crown at midfield was almost completely flattened to make it suitable for soccer. Many small additions have been made in the 2000s, giving the stadium its current appearance.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Don't know if Tech's stadium is the oldest, but Grant Field is the oldest continually used playing field among "Div I" college teams. If I'm correct (going completely from memory here), the stadium arrived a few years after the field was dedicated. The original grandstands were built by students on a slope approximately where the current East Stands sit, however the front row seats were set back about 20 or 30 yards away from the east sideline, so the fans were somewhat removed from the action. The horseshoe-shaped concrete stadium came later and was built by students, engineers and convicts. The stands were about the same height all the way around (no upper decks), but sometime in the 1950s / '60s they began building the upper decks. I know that the West Stands were finished around 1966, complete with an upper deck and new lower deck seating built atop pilings only a few feet above the original concrete seats. The North Stands consisted of aluminum bleachers; the track for track & field events went completely around the entire playing field and underneath the North Stands, so during competitions, sprinters actually disappeared from view of the spectators for a few moments. Long jumping, high jumping, etc., occurred in the semicircular space behind the south end zone. Underneath the North Stands was the weight room, and clustered nearby was the original Tech gym and swimming pool. Over near the steam whistle at the north edge of the West Stands was the old team meeting room/film room in addition to a small rec center, complete with pinball machines. The team cafeteria was underneath the East Stands. They replaced the original grass surface of Grant Field with Astroturf sometime in the early '70s.

Sometime between '78 and '82, the state-of-the-art Edge Athletic Center was constructed in the space between the North bleachers and the East Stands. At the end of the 1985 football season, the venerable old horseshoe (South Stands) was demolished and replaced by the Wardlaw Center, a multipurpose meeting center as well as a luxury viewing area for games. At first, there was no provision for seating in the south end zone, and if you look at footage from the late '80s -early 2000s, you'll notice the opposing teams entering / leaving the field via a portal directly behind the south goal post. (Tech goal posts were white for many years before they were finally painted yellow). Prior to the 1989 season, the hard, faded green Astroturf surface was replaced with an AllPro (?) artificial surface, which looked better and was much kinder on the players. The new playing surface was a brilliant green while the end zones were yellow. This surface didn't last long, as Atlanta won the bid for the '96 olympic games and Grant Field was to play host to soccer events. After about a two-decade absence, the grass surface returned to the Flats, though the noticeable crown at midfield was almost completely flattened to make it suitable for soccer. Many small additions have been made in the 2000s, giving the stadium its current appearance.
It's the oldest "on campus" college football stadium. It's also the oldest Division 1 stadium. I believe Penn is the oldest. Harvard is 2nd. GT is 3rd and Yale is 4th.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

A comment I got from a visiting team was that the visitors' locker room was "bush league". And I have heard it is awfully tight for all the big bodies. Anybody know of any plans to enlarge it?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
A comment I got from a visiting team was that the visitors' locker room was "bush league". And I have heard it is awfully tight for all the big bodies. Anybody know of any plans to enlarge it?
We should paint it pink for the little darlings.