GT-FSU tomorrow night

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
I dropped F-bombs in chat and we finally won. We've now exceeded last year's win total by 2 & ACC win total by 1. More progress.
You, sir, may please to drop all the F-bombs in chat you wish, at least for the rest of the season. :)

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
It was available to watch. I chose not to.

1-Good for the kids to get a win
2-Bad for everyone that the more wins we get the more excuses this AA has NOT to fire BG.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I had the UNC-Duke game and ours on split screen last night. Why can't we inbound the ball? We ran the same inbound play until FSU figured out how to stop it, then kept doing the same thing. Even when we got the ball in, it was deep in the corner and vulnerable to a double team. We got stripped once on a clean steal and the refs bailed us out..

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe some of you can help me understand, but I do not understand MGH taking the ball out under the basket. I get he's a good decision maker and is probably your best bet to inbound the ball without turning it over, but he's also your best FT shooter. I highly doubt you'd see Cat Barber or Grayson Allen in-bounding after a make.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Maybe some of you can help me understand, but I do not understand MGH taking the ball out under the basket. I get he's a good decision maker and is probably your best bet to inbound the ball without turning it over, but he's also your best FT shooter. I highly doubt you'd see Cat Barber or Grayson Allen in-bounding after a make.
Its called coaching.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Coaching. It took him a while to see that having an actual PG on the floor could kinda help break their press. I bemoan Jorg but he gave us some good minutes and help in, you know, actually getting the ball across the halfcourt line without the Benny Hill theme playing over the loudspeakers.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Coaching. It took him a while to see that having an actual PG on the floor could kinda help break their press. I bemoan Jorg but he gave us some good minutes and help in, you know, actually getting the ball across the halfcourt line without the Benny Hill theme playing over the loudspeakers.
Yes, he certainly helped getting the ball up the floor, but he failed to notice that Mann, Bacon, and Bookert were running free down the court and scoring uncontested baskets on the other end.

Last edited:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
What happened? I started to watch but then decided I didn't want to get stressed out, so I just went to bed instead (sad that this is what it's come to...)

When I saw we were up 17 I jokingly said to myself, "they have us right where they want us," but it turns out I was more right than I knew. How the hell did they cut it to 2 points?

...let me guess...after we had the big lead our offense went into "we don't know what the hell we're doing" mode and looked completely lost. Then we started missing free throws and let them cut it real close, but MGH was solid enough to ice it at the end.

Close?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yes, he certainly helped getting the ball up the floor, but he failed to notice that Mann, Bacon, and Bookert were running free down the court and scoring uncontested baskets on the other end.

Interesting. I thought the problem was that when Lammers fouled out we kept Chuck on the bench. It seemed to me that we needed a big to defend the basket.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What happened? I started to watch but then decided I didn't want to get stressed out, so I just went to bed instead (sad that this is what it's come to...)

When I saw we were up 17 I jokingly said to myself, "they have us right where they want us," but it turns out I was more right than I knew. How the hell did they cut it to 2 points?

...let me guess...after we had the big lead our offense went into "we don't know what the hell we're doing" mode and looked completely lost. Then we started missing free throws and let them cut it real close, but MGH was solid enough to ice it at the end.

Close?

Not really. They went to hack a jack (et) at just over 3 min (iirc), and then we let them score layups in like 2 seconds on several possessions and uncontested 3's on others. We missed enough free throws to allow them to get back into it. (perhaps over-simplified a bit)

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting. I thought the problem was that when Lammers fouled out we kept Chuck on the bench. It seemed to me that we needed a big to defend the basket.
That's why White was in the game, who actually contributed to a big block at the end on Bacon that really iced the game. Charles is a horrendous FT shooter, and had 4 fouls anyway - which if you've got a "rim protector" with 4 fouls, he's much less intimidating.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
That's why White was in the game, who actually contributed to a big block at the end on Bacon that really iced the game. Charles is a horrendous FT shooter, and had 4 fouls anyway - which if you've got a "rim protector" with 4 fouls, he's much less intimidating.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if you're alternative is to keep him on the bench, then having 4 fouls shouldn't be a factor.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if you're alternative is to keep him on the bench, then having 4 fouls shouldn't be a factor.
If you keep him on the bench, he's still an option if, say, we continue to miss free throws and end up in a tie game and need a score to win the game. Then how dumb do you look that you had your 2nd best post option in with 4 fouls as a rim protector, and he picked up his 5th foul almost immediately after he was put in - and now you no longer have him in case the aforementioned situation arises?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Our guards did nothing to slow the ball coming up court. FSU basically had two or three fast break baskets after our made FTs. We did not contest the inbounds play of the back court progression of the ball. Both of Bacon's layups in the final seconds were on plays where he beat Q in the open court.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Our guards did nothing to slow the ball coming up court. FSU basically had two or three fast break baskets after our made FTs. We did not contest the inbounds play of the back court progression of the ball. Both of Bacon's layups in the final seconds were on plays where he beat Q in the open court.

Yeah, we were playing as if we were up by 20 or were a team that consistently made FT's. Neither of those things are/were true.

At least, sneeze on the guy on his way up the court. Giving them free-running layup attempts took no time of the clock. Then, we were coming back hitting 1 FT so we were basically trading 2-for-1 down the stretch. Not to mention the missed 1st of 1-and-1's.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I started to watch but then decided I didn't want to get stressed out, so I just went to bed instead (sad that this is what it's come to...)

Me too. Turned it off at halftime and missed all the stress. I will follow this strategy for the rest of the season. Like I said in chat, I may miss a win here or there, but I think my overall happiness following this team will be much greater.

Heck, if you only watched the first half all season, you'd think we were 22-4...

/