GT Football: Academics vs Athletics

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Just one comment. This has been a topic that has been debated and talked about on GT message boards for as long as I can remember. The general debate is always the crowd that believes we need to do more to be competitive athletically (relax entrance requirements, add "easy" majors, etc) vs the crowd that adheres strictly to the academic integrity cloak (we do it right and we don't want to be like the factories...or UNC).

My one comment is that if GT wishes to adhere to its academic integrity to the degree that it stands apart from virtually the entirety of NCAA FBS football (as it does today) then it needs to maintain that integrity in its ticket sales and donations pitches. GT will NOT compete at the same level as the rest of college football and to sell tickets on the basis that we are is misleading, fraudulent and screams a lack of integrity. Be honest in your sales efforts. State that we won't do it the way other schools do it.

My own opinion is that sales will decline as most people will not want to pay for an inferior product. While that trend is already somewhat apparent, GT tries to pretend we are in the same ballpark as those other schools...and we aren't. The trend would accelerate pretty dramatically if truth in advertising were demanded with the same religious ferocity that academic integrity is demanded.

Selah.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
True, all too true.

I'm at a loss to see why a team that went 9 - 4 last year is putting an inferior product on the field. As I've said before and many times too boot, I don't see the massive talent differences others do between Tech and most of our rivals; the only exception is Clemson and we've done ok against them, despite losing for the last three years.

Otherwise, the only difference I can see is on the DL. When we don't have a Gotsis, we have trouble matching up. But we're trying to address that; look at the 2018 recruits. All we need to do is strike gold with one or two of those players (*cough* Jones, Dingle *cough*) to get closer to parity.

In short, I would welcome extension of majors into other disciplines and, personally, I think that's coming. The easiest would be to put more emphasis on the social sciences, since they are becoming more and more computer and data analysis focused. (Indeed, a lot of the current developments in computer science were driven by social scientists.) But we're not doing so badly with the current mix, despite angst abounding here and at other fan sites.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Another thread about this? Nobody cares that we have hard academics man so get over it. We get it Tech is a great school, no need for 50 threads saying the same exact thing.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I lean toward academics over athletics. I believe that the word student in “student-athlete” comes first for a reason. Don’t get me wrong...I love sports and I’m a freaking nut about football. I’m just not interested in adding easy majors just for the sake of athletics but I do wish we would expand our majors to interest a wider variety of students and student-athletes. Let’s do it the Tech way though; let it be a valuable degree and taught to our known standards. Adding programs is something that can definitely be done but it takes time, money, and space. I’ve noticed we’ve added some majors recently that weren’t around when I was there so hopefully we continue down that road. I don’t believe that we have to choose athletics or academics. I truly believe we can be good at both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
My one comment is that if GT wishes to adhere to its academic integrity to the degree that it stands apart from virtually the entirety of NCAA FBS football (as it does today) then it needs to maintain that integrity in its ticket sales and donations pitches. GT will NOT compete at the same level as the rest of college football and to sell tickets on the basis that we are is misleading, fraudulent and screams a lack of integrity. Be honest in your sales efforts. State that we won't do it the way other schools do it.

So are you saying that GT will never be in the ACCCG? Are you saying that GT will never play in a major bowl game? Are you saying that GT will never win: 6 games? 7 games? 8 games? 9 games? 10 games? 11 games? If you are saying any of those things then in the last 4 years we have done all of them(if you take winning 11 games being as good as winning 7, 8, and 10 games)

Even in 2015, the experience at the FSU game was worth the season ticket cost.

If you believe that the tickets are too expensive, let the athletic association know your feelings. However, I feel that it is disingenuous to believe that the way to help improve issues with an athletic association that has the lowest funding in the ACC is to not ask for donations and to reduce ticket prices.

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
Achievement of realistic expectations would be more appreciated if it weren’t for all of the fans who ***** and moan when said realistic expectations are achieved.

And the desire for marginal improvement in the status quo can still be held without the complete and utter emotional collapses that come when we lose. Average in athletics is what we are in this modern collegiate sports reality, all of y’all just need to chill and be thankful for what we have instead of complaining every time we lose to decent teams.

northgajacket

Banned
Achievement of realistic expectations would be more appreciated if it weren’t for all of the fans who ***** and moan when said realistic expectations are achieved.

And the desire for marginal improvement in the status quo can still be held without the complete and utter emotional collapses that come when we lose. Average in athletics is what we are in this modern collegiate sports reality, all of y’all just need to chill and be thankful for what we have instead of complaining every time we lose to decent teams.

Maybe people don't like losing seasons.

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
Maybe people don't like losing seasons.

They’re part of the deal whether fans like it or not. Unless you’re a factory school you’re gonna have low years and high years. Go look at teams like Michigan St and TCU, and many others, if you don’t believe me. Look at their records these past few seasons. Just as erratic as ours.

And by the way, nobody likes losing seasons. So stop being such a prima donna. As average as our players are, as a whole, it’s a miracle we can even compete. YMMV

northgajacket

Banned
They’re part of the deal whether fans like it or not. Unless you’re a factory school you’re gonna have low years and high years. Go look at teams like Michigan St and TCU, and many others, if you don’t believe me. Look at their records these past few season. Just as erratic as ours.

And by the way, nobody likes losing seasons. So stop being such a Prima Donna. As average as our players are, as a whole, it’s a miracle we can even compete. YMMV

Where in the hell did you get prima donna from?

You are the one whining because some fans are frustrated.

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
From your instant defense of me calling out some fans as being *****y with your pointing out the obvious that nobody likes to lose.

northgajacket

Banned
Good one, Farva.

Now that I think about it.... guys and gals like you are exactly who I was talking about.

You mean fans who want to see a winning product.
You mean fans who would rather see Tech beat Duke, or at least show some fight against them.

By the way, @Gold1 is right, no one wants to hear about the academics, most view that as an excuse and as for the " It's a miracle we can compete" motto, do you want a participation ribbon?