GT COACHING HISTORY

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
You are right about Bill in real estate in Augusta. I'll ask him about the HS coaching, but I don't believe it to be true. Kim King was on the committee that interviewed the three finalists for head coach in 1980. He told me at that time that Steve Spurrier, Jerry Glanville, and Bill Curry were the interviewees and Curry dominated the interview.

Glanville's pitch was that he could get Herschel to come to GT. He was a good recruiter, but I believe he was one new Firebird away from getting Herschel to GT.

It would have been odd to fire a HC and promote an assistant, which would have been the situation with Spurrier. Spurrier had very little experience at that time. Hiring O'Leary was not the same situation since Rice--not Lewis--hired him as an assistant.

Coaching records can't be compared without knowing what was going on at GT. Things were a mess in 1980. Homer Rice took an absolute disaster and slowly built GT back to respectability by the time he retired. Curry was a decent hire under the circumstances of 1980. Ross and O'Leary made Tech a top 25 program for a few years in the 1990's, which was amazing given where the program was in the early 80's. Homer Rice was the guy at the controls, however.

Dave Braine started taking things in the other direction, and Radakovich didn't have the experience to turn things around from Braine. If Homer hadn't left the house in good order, Braine would have taken us back to 1979.

Bobinski has a mess on his hands. We will have to wait and see if he can fix things. It will likely take some time and some patience.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Bill Fulcher supplanted Bud Carson. Fulcher appeared to be the right choice but quit after two seasons, overwhelmed by the Tech fan base. Fulcher's tenure included a terrible feud with Eddie McAshan, which peaked before the 1972 UGA game. McAshan had requested additional tickets for the game so that his family could attend. Fulcher refused the ticket request and McAshan sat out of practice in protest.[19] Fulcher responded by suspending the quarterback for the UGA game and the upcoming Liberty Bowl. The story exploded on the national scene when Jesse Jackson attended the UGA game, allowing McAshan to sit with him outside of the stadium in protest.

Georgia Tech Head Coach, 1972-73
Record: 12-10-1 (2 seasons)

BILL FULCHER YEAR BY YEAR

At Georgia Tech, 12-10-1, 2 years
1972 7-4-1 Liberty Bowl (W)
1973 5-6

COACHING CAREER

1960-61, Head Coach, Screven County High (Sylvania, Ga.)
1962, Richmond Academy
1963, Georgia Tech (freshman coach)
1964-65, Waynesboro (Ga.) High School
1966-67, 69, Georgia Tech (asssistant coach)
1970, Florida (assistant coach)
1971, Head Coach, University of Tampa (Record: 6-5)
1972-73, Head Coach, Georgia Tech

PLAYING CAREER

* Three-year letterman and two-year starter at guard for Georgia Tech
* Entered Georgia Tech in 1952 without a scholarship and was named co-captain of the freshman team
* Lettered as a backup in 1953 and then started in 1954-55
* Made 41 tackles in 1953
* Had 39 tackles and one blocked punt in 1954
* Had 17 tackles and one fumble recovery in 1955
* Helped Georgia Tech to a record of 26-6-2 from 1953-55, including three straight bowl victories in the Sugar (twice) and Cotton Bowls
* Part of one of the great defenses in Georgia Tech history in 1955, when the Yellow Jackets allowed just 4.6 points per game
* Lettered in football, track and baseball at Richmond Academy in Augusta, Ga.
* Also prepped one year at Darlington School in Rome, Ga.

PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL
* Played three seasons for the Washington Redskins of the National Football League
* Played in nine games as a rookie in 1956 and had one interception
* Played in two games in 1957 and 12 games in 1958

I could not find any record of Fulcher coaching a HS team in Florida. This does not mean it did not happen, it is not recorded on any site I visited.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
SOME MORE HISTORY WHILE RESEARCHING FULCHER

Carson recruited Eddie McAshan to play quarterback in 1970.[19] After several Summer practices, McAshan won the starting quarterback job and became the first African American quarterback to start for a major Southeastern university.[19] This decision initially polarized Georgia Tech's fan base, but after winning his first 4 starts and leading Tech to a 9–3 season after three straight 4–6 seasons, McAshan won the hearts of the Tech faithful. McAshan's besting of UGA in the annual rivalry game made McAshan a fixture on campus. The following season, however, led to Carson's demise. In 1971, Tech went 6–6 and a fan base used to Bobby Dodd's 8 wins per season average forced Carson out by James E. Boyd's hand. Carson went on to form the Steel CurtainPittsburgh Steelers defense.

Pepper Rodgers was hired soon after Fulcher quit. Rodgers was hired away from the UCLA Bruins and like Carson and Fulcher, simply could not return Tech to its national prominence of Dodd's era, and after six seasons, Rodgers had accumulated only 34 wins and barely a 50% winning percentage.[20] Rodgers flamboyant demeanor shortened his welcome at the school, and Athletic Director Doug Weaver, replaced him with Bill Curry. Homer Rice became Athletic Director, and attempted to reinvigorate Tech's program by joining the Atlantic Coast Conference in 1980. The Georgia Tech football program reached its lowest point in modern history after the hiring of Bill Curry, who had no experience as a head coach, but was a refreshing change after the flamboyant Rodgers.

Curry's first two Tech teams from 1980–1981 went 2-19-1 with the only bright spots being a brilliant 24-21 victory over Bear Bryant's Alabama team at Legion Field to open the 1981 season and a 3-3 slug fest in 1980 with then No.1 rated Notre Dame at Grant Field. Things had gotten so bad, they could only get better.[21] He slowly rebuilt the team, restored a winning mentality to the Georgia Tech fan base, and in 1985 Tech won 9 games, including a 17-14 victory over Michigan State in the All American Bowl.

Tech's 1984–1985 teams featured the "Black Watch" defense. The Black Watch defense was created by defensive coordinator Don Lindsey and featured linebackers Ted Roof and Jim Anderson and lineman Pat Swilling.[22][23] The elite defensive players were awarded black stripes down the center of their helmets and black GT emblems on the side of their helmets.[23] Curry's leadership and ability to build a winning program sparked interest from the Crimson Tide and Alabama hired Curry away from Tech in 1986.

After Curry's departure, Tech hired the talented Maryland Terrapins Coach Bobby Ross, who departed a Maryland athletic program in turmoil after the Len Bias tragedy.

Brian Johnson

Jolly Good Fellow
Well if you look at rivals from 2002-2006 gaileys recruiting rankings were lower than Johnson's except for 2007 which was amazing Johnson has out recruited gailey according to rivals rankings. And 4 players from the 2007 class doesn't make you 11-3 . Gotta give CPJ credit he had to put in the system

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Well if you look at rivals from 2002-2006 gaileys recruiting rankings were lower than Johnson's except for 2007 which was amazing Johnson has out recruited gailey according to rivals rankings. And 4 players from the 2007 class doesn't make you 11-3 . Gotta give CPJ credit he had to put in the system

I give CPJ credit for coaching the outstanding talent he had. There are many coaches who could have taken the same talent and coached them down to 8 win seasons in 2008 and 2009. But yes, those four players are the difference between 7-6 every year and 11-3. They probably rank somewhere between 1-5 as the best players at their position in the history of GT football (Dwyer might not be one of the top five running backs, but that is definitely arguable). I am not trying to be harsh, but the impact of those players on our record is a settled debate. I don't know why you would try to insinuate otherwise.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I give CPJ credit for coaching the outstanding talent he had. There are many coaches who could have taken the same talent and coached them down to 8 win seasons in 2008 and 2009. But yes, those four players are the difference between 7-6 every year and 11-3. They probably rank somewhere between 1-5 as the best players at their position in the history of GT football (Dwyer might not be one of the top five running backs, but that is definitely arguable). I am not trying to be harsh, but the impact of those players on our record is a settled debate. I don't know why you would try to insinuate otherwise.

smh

Squints

Helluva Engineer

Says who? You?

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Says who? You?
No, the facts do. The players went, and so did the wins. The coach stayed the same. I am fully aware that correlation and causality are two different things, but in this case it is fairly clear that the players made the difference. The analysis is shallow, but correct.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Doug Weaver was the AD when we joined the ACC in Summer of 1978. We began participating in the 1979-'80 school year. However, we weren't eligible in football until 1983.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If you have an argument, please make it.
There are other factors that play into the success of the first two years. Those 4 players were exceptional, but those 4 players were only part of the heralded 2007 class. Many of the other heralded players didn't pan out at Tech. 2008 and 2009 were also the first two years many of our opponents saw our offense, and most of the game plans against us sucked (see VT 2008, FSU 2009). I think teams play us better now than then, although we're still fairly successful. To lay the 2008/09 success at the feet of 2 offensive players and 2 defensive players just because we haven't duplicated that outcome since is a little lacking in analysis.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
jayparr: Wow, I would like to know the whole story on why he gave up the Tech job and then later decided to coach in High School! That would be an interesting read.
Why he left Tech. would indeed make for a good book, but it is a story he refuses to tell.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If you have an argument, please make it.
Our 2011 offense was basically as good as 2009. Our 2012 offense was good enough for 10 wins. I think the issue has been defense. It's at least valid enough to deny your case-closed assertion.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Our 2011 offense was basically as good as 2009. Our 2012 offense was good enough for 10 wins. I think the issue has been defense. It's at least valid enough to deny your case-closed assertion.
The original premise was that the four players mentioned didn't account for the 11-3 record. Even if I buy your argument that the 2009 and 2011 offenses are the same, that discounts the two players on defense and their considerable contributions to our record in 08 and 09. If the issue is defense - as you say, then we have to determine how important Derrick Morgan and Morgan Burnett were to the 09 ACC championship. Both of those guys have to be in the discussion of the best players at their position in the history of GT football. You simply cannot overstate or overestimate their importance. Football may be a team sport, but championships are won by big time players making big time plays in big time games. I think you would have to agree that we are lacking in the big time player department, and that almost certainly has to be one of the leading causes of our 28-25 record over the last four years. If not, we will just have to agree to disagree.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree they contributed, not just physically, but also as team leaders. I just don't think you can point out those four guys and say that's the difference between then and now. Our offense puts up similar numbers, and actually were more efficient in the red zone last year. Defensively, we don't have anyone like either of those two guys, but neither do we have Vance Walker, Darryl Richard or Michael Johnson. If you add Elris Anyaibe, that was a stout, potent D-line.

That D-line made everyone better, including Jahi Word-Daniels and and others.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The original premise was that the four players mentioned didn't account for the 11-3 record. Even if I buy your argument that the 2009 and 2011 offenses are the same, that discounts the two players on defense and their considerable contributions to our record in 08 and 09. If the issue is defense - as you say, then we have to determine how important Derrick Morgan and Morgan Burnett were to the 09 ACC championship. Both of those guys have to be in the discussion of the best players at their position in the history of GT football. You simply cannot overstate or overestimate their importance. Football may be a team sport, but championships are won by big time players making big time plays in big time games. I think you would have to agree that we are lacking in the big time player department, and that almost certainly has to be one of the leading causes of our 28-25 record over the last four years. If not, we will just have to agree to disagree.

I was responding to your equation of 4 players to CPJs 2009 success and post-2009 mediocrity as a settled debate. It's not, Of course, having better players is better, but you were claiming more than that.