GT - Clemson postgame thread

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
We have an above average defense.

We have a below average offense. (NOT EFFICIENT)

Our first 3 possessions - 3 and out
Our first 4 possessions - All lead to a punt
This wears our defense down.
Defense did very good holding Clemson to only 13 points in their first 4 possessions.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Also...

Was it just me or did anyone else wonder why we started running the diamond at the end of the 4th quarter? Strange.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Also...

Was it just me or did anyone else wonder why we started running the diamond at the end of the 4th quarter? Strange.
You were still watching then? Haha I found myself wondering what happened to that formation this morning. I turned over to the NFL game with 3 mins left so I must have missed it

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
You were still watching then? Haha I found myself wondering what happened to that formation this morning. I turned over to the NFL game with 3 mins left so I must have missed it

You know I am 33 years old and I have been watching Tech football and basketball games to the end since I was a kid. And, I sat and watched last night with a "i could care less" attitude. I didn't get mad and yell at the TV like I use to do. No, I sat there and at times I laughed. It is so sad but I laughed. I love GT football and want better.

jason

Georgia Tech Fan
I think a huge part of the problem is depth on defense a lot of schools go 3 and out its part of football but when your defense has no backups by the end of the 1st half we where already getting tired you need good d linemen to rotate against teams that run a fast offense. We had 17 points early 3rd and are still getting killed so I don't think we have a above average d. I hope they see how important the tackle is on defense and go get Pittman we need him more than any other player we are after.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I think a huge part of the problem is depth on defense a lot of schools go 3 and out its part of football but when your defense has no backups by the end of the 1st half we where already getting tired you need good d linemen to rotate against teams that run a fast offense. We had 17 points early 3rd and are still getting killed so I don't think we have a above average d. I hope they see how important the tackle is on defense and go get Pittman we need him more than any other player we are after.

jmo but ineptitude on offense seems to be a bigger concern than depth on defense.

jason

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree the offense is not great but the defense is not above average we have played 4 good teams gave up a lot of points to them all. Can't just blame offense the starters on defense are pretty solid for the most part but can't play the whole game the back ups more so on the line are not very good. You have to have a great defensive line to compete in my opinion. In every game if we scored late we gave up points the very next time we went on d. I admit the offense hasn't played great in the second half or first half of any of those games but 17 points early in the third and still getting killed can't say it was all the offense.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I agree the offense is not great but the defense is not above average we have played 4 good teams gave up a lot of points to them all. Can't just blame offense the starters on defense are pretty solid for the most part but can't play the whole game the back ups more so on the line are not very good. You have to have a great defensive line to compete in my opinion. In every game if we scored late we gave up points the very next time we went on d. I admit the offense hasn't played great in the second half or first half of any of those games but 17 points early in the third and still getting killed can't say it was all the offense.

Defense depth due to exhaustion would not be a concern if our offense wouldn't produce a punt on its 1st 4 possessions. 1st 3 possessions were 3 and out i might add.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think Lee is a little hurt and I think his confidence is rattled way too easily but I can't blame him with the amount of pressure that is coming his way. He never knows if he is going to have 1 second to make a play. I think JT would make some plays that Vad wouldn't but I also think he would make some mistakes and probably worse than Vad right now.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This was NOT about our QB's it was about lack of blocking, catching, and putrid play calling.

Sloppy sloppy special teams. CDW needs to go and let us hire another ST coach who can do better. We have Butker and Golden so we have the talent on ST's.

I agree with all of this except the CDW comment. Our ST this year has been much better. We've blocked 3 kicks, executed two fake punts with success, and haven't been as absolute trainwreck on kickoff coverage. Losing Golden hurts, but that's not on CDW.

I'm not sure what CDW has to do with our return guys fielding kicks poorly. I imagine they practice it, so unless there is some inside knowledge I'm not aware of I'm not sure what he should be doing differently. Yes I wish our fill-in guys returned kickoffs with more aggressiveness, but I'm not sure how much of that is CDW vs. the players' timidness.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I agree they are better in some areas as far as players. Jamal Golden upgraded ST's on NSD immediately. Same with Butker and Milton.

But overall we have played like crap on our coverage and blocking. Sloppy sloppy play

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
How different does Vad look than Tevin in the pocket? Not different at all. The problem on O is all about the big ugly boys in the trenches. We do not have the speed to pass/run block against a fast, physical, and talented DL. That is the problem in a nutshell, and the reason Vad looks no better than Tevin in passing situations. We need better players in the trenches if the offense is ever going to improve beyond 6-7 wins a year. I think we have wasted schollies on A backs when we should have used them on linemen. I would rather be great in the trenches and have mediocre skill players.
This pretty much sums it up.
You win with the big boys in the trenches.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I agree they are better in some areas as far as players. Jamal Golden upgraded ST's on NSD immediately. Same with Butker and Milton.

But overall we have played like crap on our coverage and blocking. Sloppy sloppy play

What coverage are you thinking of specifically? Between kickoff coverage and Poole's rugby style punts, I'm only remembering 2 or 3 times we've turned someone loose this year. That's pretty solid to me.

Re: blocking, there's definitely room for improvement, but I still think it's improved over last year. Smelter fair catches punts a little too much for my liking which means he could stand to have more return yards. On the kickoffs last night, I saw return men who took way too long to get to the 10 yard line. No return team can hold blocks long enough to compensate for timid returning and poor fielding.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Chris Milton missed an easy tackle and the PR got about 15 yards I think after. We blocked horribly on KR IMO. I saw guys just miss their assignments.

We fumbled like 3 KR's with no one near them. The coverage on kicks was pretty bad twice. I don't remember them all without watching it again but I thought it looked pretty bad to me. Especially KR.