GT - Clemson postgame thread

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
- Ugly, ugly, ugly showing all the way around

- Started the game off like we have all big games...dumb penalties and playing sloppy.

- Blocking was/is putrid

- I'm really concerned about our QB development.

- Attaochu and Godhigh had big plays as usual.

- Really worried with some things going forward..

- Chase Roberts, Sean Tobin, Brandon Watts, Charles Perkins and Dennis Andrews all hurt tonight

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
Justin is too athletic to not get more snaps... CPJ needs to put together a package for him for when our Vad-led offense is stalling. Also, Robbie is the best A-back I've seen at Tech, rocket toss doesn't work on fourth down, and, above all....

Our offensive scheme literally sucks. The triple option sucks. The spread option whatever you want to call it. It sucks.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I would like to see some changes with our offense.

Hope we get things turned around for the UGA game.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I thought it came down to a combination of Clemson with better football players and those better players executing better than the Tech players.
If you do not block the defense, no scheme on the planet will work.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Justin has a lot better arm to be considerd the running QB and Vad the passer. Vad looked good throwing the ball tonight but I believe JT has to takeover next year if were gonna run the option most of the game. I believe he make the option more lethal.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
We need to improve our offensive talent level and adapt to utilize the skillset of the athletes we do have. I felt bad for our defense, they played well in the first quarter, but got put in bad positions and were worn down.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Yeah JT against Clemson's cheerleading squad was real impressive. I still haven't seen anything except speed from JT, speed which could be used elsewhere (he would have caught the pass Godhigh missed at the end of the 2nd quarter - think about that.) JMO.

I hope the team didn't spend the bye week practicing for this game. I'd like to think they spent the time learning a useful skill because they clearly weren't prepared tonight. It seems like the OL just dives straight forward with their heads down. If they are going to cut block - which after the past 3 seasons we can all agree only works against the lower tier opponents - they need to hit something besides air and grass.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Running the option the way Clemson was stacking the box in the first quarter wasn't great play calling. When we are in the pistol it seems we have more time to throw. Not just because of having more space from the center, but the way the defense plays the option formation. Maybe some zone reads might help. I know the blocking isn't great but not being able to double team studs because there are 8-9 in the box is difficult.

Brian Johnson

Jolly Good Fellow
Golden was missed with rerun game it showed too! O line can't block a giants elite D lineman. Hurts lee when he doesn't have time pretty much like the falcons. Defense was completely outplayed

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Horrible game...period. CPJ better not throw the Defense under the bus next week in his pressers

CPJ is to blame for out Offense

Vad in my opinion looks like he has gotten worse from last year

I think Justin Thomas needs to get more snaps

We simply don't play well against the big boys...CPJ is squarely at fault

Blocking was really really bad, 78 whiffed a bunch, 70, missed a key block, Deon Hill couldn't get his man on the ground. SHM

I never thought we were going to win last night...

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
How different does Vad look than Tevin in the pocket? Not different at all. The problem on O is all about the big ugly boys in the trenches. We do not have the speed to pass/run block against a fast, physical, and talented DL. That is the problem in a nutshell, and the reason Vad looks no better than Tevin in passing situations. We need better players in the trenches if the offense is ever going to improve beyond 6-7 wins a year. I think we have wasted schollies on A backs when we should have used them on linemen. I would rather be great in the trenches and have mediocre skill players.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
How different does Vad look than Tevin in the pocket? Not different at all. The problem on O is all about the big ugly boys in the trenches. We do not have the speed to pass/run block against a fast, physical, and talented DL. That is the problem in a nutshell, and the reason Vad looks no better than Tevin in passing situations. We need better players in the trenches if the offense is ever going to improve beyond 6-7 wins a year. I think we have wasted schollies on A backs when we should have used them on linemen. I would rather be great in the trenches and have mediocre skill players.

I agree. That's been an issue since we played Iowa in the Orange Bowl. It's not a problem with the offensive scheme. It's a problem that many schools have.

I think I am less disappointed that we lost and more disappointed in how we did it. Offense has been frustrating to watch. I was hoping that we would put up some fight and show we are an above average team. I hate it, but we are a middle of the road squad again this year.

Last edited:

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow
Justin is too athletic to not get more snaps... CPJ needs to put together a package for him for when our Vad-led offense is stalling. Also, Robbie is the best A-back I've seen at Tech, rocket toss doesn't work on fourth down, and, above all....

Our offensive scheme literally sucks. The triple option sucks. The spread option whatever you want to call it. It sucks.

On the two fourth downs I saw, CPJ called the rocket toss twice. The first time didn't work because at least 2 guys didn't move fast enough to get to their blocks. The second one was executed very well and we got 5-6 yards on a 4 and 3.